Joe Willock

9 hours ago, toon25 said:

Really, really need this kid to step up now.

Agreed.  That Delle Ali transfer last night got me thinking.  Delle had his best form years ago playing very high, off the striker and scoring lots of goals.  He has not made the same impact playing in a deeper more traditional midfield role.

Exactly the same last season compared with this season for Willock.  If we want to utilise his strengths we need to get him high up the pitch playing off or close to Wood.  Everton should be thinking the same for Delle.

Disappointed to miss out on Lingard or someone else but as we saw last season we have a player who can make an impact in Willock.  Hopefully whatever injury stuff has been bothering him is behind him and he can contribute some goals - which we are desperate for.

17 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

I think the role he played at Leeds is good foil for him. Part of a flat-ish 3 but with license to get forward & support.

He just needs to look after the ball a bit better. He's making great runs, but is very loose with possession.

Doesn’t challenge for headers, bit naive at times. But I love his pace and workrate when pressing. Carrying the ball again like last season and unlucky not to get a goal, the same as Leeds. Hopefully his injury isn’t serious and he can kick on now. 

I think people don't pick up how much pressing this lad does, constantly puts the opposition under pressure and wins a fair few balls in there as a result. Might take some shifting from that spot actually.

8 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Doesn’t challenge for headers, bit naive at times. But I love his pace and workrate when pressing. Carrying the ball again like last season and unlucky not to get a goal, the same as Leeds. Hopefully his injury isn’t serious and he can kick on now. 

None of our midfielders challenge for headers.

I'm new to Willock having ignored the Bruce era and I have to say I like him. He seems to start poorly then get better as games go on. Has a good knack for taking a player out of the game with his first touch, which I like. 

Similar performance to his Leeds performance tonight I thought.

2 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Wonder if he's just a bit rusty at the minute, seems to grow into games. Better 2nd half against both Leeds and Everton. 

Think he's still got a bit of developing to do personally, but his athleticism and energy makes up for it. Looks like he's learning a bit from Howe, and that's how he kept his shirt for this game.