Steve Bruce (now unemployed)

Yorkie

Certain occupiers of SJP definitely hold a not-insignificant amount of responsibility for the state of the club, like. I don't see how there's any debate there.

There has been certain pressure points where non-attendance could have made a real difference. It was even handed on a platter to those attendees, at least on a couple of occasions: 'this isn't ad hoc, it's not some hashtag or dumb craze - this is an organised effort - play your part in a targeted, meaningful, positively-spirited resistance in search of something bigger and better than the slop we're all putting up with. But nope. 30-40,000+ still couldn't hack it. And for what?

That there were 42,000-odd there every week after Rafa left was the final nail in the coffin of any suggestion that the fanbase could ever resist en masse. Ten thousand freebies then being snapped up in seconds was probably one of the most grimly depressing episodes of the whole Ashley saga. Was basically just him saying "I can't lose."

There never will be an appetite for mass protest and/or boycott from Newcastle supporters and there never has been. The club was a shambles back in the 80s: at the end of 1988/89 we finished bottom and went down after having sold Gascoigne and the first game of 1989/90 was at home to Leeds. The protest group United Supporters for Change called for a boycott of that game. 24,396 still went which was the 4th highest of the season behind 2 games v mackems and a game v Sheffield Utd. Poor results and languishing in the 2nd tier drove crowds down, the gates were significantly low in 1990-91 and 1991-92 prior to Keegan arriving. It was the same in the late 70s after going down in 77 until 82 when again, a certain Keegan arrived.

Same in recent years, 2009-10 saw some canny low crowds by our standards due to the manner that we went down the season prior as well as fears for the season. It wasn't until the second half of 2011-12 that saw regular full houses again.

Newcastle is far too myopic in its thinking when it comes to boycotts or protests: always has been and seemingly always will be. Results and league position drives the gates down.

Everything you've said there is absolutely correct - particularly the last bit about results being the only thing that will actually catalyse any sort of action. Sums up the mentality, really; the bigger picture can wait as long as at least one in three Saturdays are areet. Too many losses in a row and I'm kicking off.

Certain occupiers of SJP definitely hold a not-insignificant amount of responsibility for the state of the club, like. I don't see how there's any debate there.

There has been certain pressure points where non-attendance could have made a real difference. It was even handed on a platter to those attendees, at least on a couple of occasions: 'this isn't ad hoc, it's not some hashtag or dumb craze - this is an organised effort - play your part in a targeted, meaningful, positively-spirited resistance in search of something bigger and better than the slop we're all putting up with. But nope. 30-40,000+ still couldn't hack it. And for what?

That there were 42,000-odd there every week after Rafa left was the final nail in the coffin of any suggestion that the fanbase could ever resist en masse. Ten thousand freebies then being snapped up in seconds was probably one of the most grimly depressing episodes of the whole Ashley saga. Was basically just him saying "I can't lose."

I agree that there needs to be a much better mobilisation to boycott and sadly it looks like there isn't the appetite by a significant chunk of the fanbase to do so.

However, I'm not sure if the beginning of that season after Rafa left was necessarily as grim as people make out at the time. The team was likeable (admittedly down to Rafa if course) and with a record signing and ASM etc it wasn't exactly all doom and gloom. I wasn't impressed with Bruce and thought he'd be a failure but I didn't hate him particularly then, he just meant nothing.

I think expecting people to boycott at that moment would have been a stretch. I'd like to think now he'd be getting absolute pelters from the fans and any boycott might have traction, but who knows?

There never will be an appetite for mass protest and/or boycott from Newcastle supporters and there never has been. The club was a shambles back in the 80s: at the end of 1988/89 we finished bottom and went down after having sold Gascoigne and the first game of 1989/90 was at home to Leeds. The protest group United Supporters for Change called for a boycott of that game. 24,396 still went which was the 4th highest of the season behind 2 games v mackems and a game v Sheffield Utd. Poor results and languishing in the 2nd tier drove crowds down, the gates were significantly low in 1990-91 and 1991-92 prior to Keegan arriving. It was the same in the late 70s after going down in 77 until 82 when again, a certain Keegan arrived.

Same in recent years, 2009-10 saw some canny low crowds by our standards due to the manner that we went down the season prior as well as fears for the season. It wasn't until the second half of 2011-12 that saw regular full houses again.

Newcastle is far too myopic in its thinking when it comes to boycotts or protests: always has been and seemingly always will be. Results and league position drives the gates down.

Everything you've said there is absolutely correct - particularly the last bit about results being the only thing that will actually catalyse any sort of action. Sums up the mentality, really; the bigger picture can wait as long as at least one in three Saturdays are areet. Too many losses in a row and I'm kicking off.

It's the mentality of British matchgoing football fans tbh, I find it hard to tar just our lot with that brush. You will only ever see mass protests and boycotts on the continent. It will never happen here, especially whilst the club is in the PL as expectations have been driven down so much due to Ashley, Pardew and the other cunts that have facilitated that. A year of mediocrity in the Championship is the only thing that will change that just like it did in the late 70s and very early 90s.

I'm just praying that this nonsense about this arbitration bears some fruit and we get taken over. I'm just sick to death of debating how much of a clueless bell end the manager is, how shit some players are, how much of a cunt the owner is and this tedious debate about fans in SJP. It's just fucking boring.

It's the mentality of British matchgoing football fans tbh, I find it hard to tar just our lot with that brush. You will only ever see mass protests and boycotts on the continent. It will never happen here, especially whilst the club is in the PL as expectations have been driven down so much due to Ashley, Pardew and the other cunts that have facilitated that. A year of mediocrity in the Championship is the only thing that will change that just like it did in the late 70s and very early 90s.

I'm just praying that this nonsense about this arbitration bears some fruit and we get taken over. I'm just sick to death of debating how much of a clueless bell end the manager is, how shit some players are, how much of a cunt the owner is and this tedious debate about fans in SJP. It's just fucking boring.

You're 100% right again, but I don't think any of what you're saying absolves the tens of thousands who just 'submitted'. Several thousand others did have the discipline and principle to say 'fuck this' - at least on those very specific occasions (I'm thinking Spurs, Cardiff, immediately post-Rafa).

Of course your second paragraph is the bigger point. What I'd give to debate something different. Something positive and without caveats, imagine that.

I hold the 45k strong donnay army that attended this cunts first game in the same regard as I do big Mike and Bruce.

that's rather harsh. people are desperate to get back to normality and to watch their club in the stadium. it outweights their hatred of whats going on.

been a shit year for all. the 45k going back cannot be criticised unless they start serenading bruce.

You only joined up 5 minutes ago so I don’t know how you are in a position to be saying who is who?

Just seems that me stating a cold hard truth that the donnay army are almost as bad as Ashley in the destruction of this club has upset a poor sheeple. What a shame he can’t handle the truth. Bet he’s one of the ones who can’t wait to get back to supporting big Mike and Brucey

Dunno who he thinks he is calling a wum like. Fact is that stadium should have been empty for Bruce’s first match and remained so then the c*** wouldn’t be here now and likely neither would Ashley if he had 2 years of an empty stadium

Well, he’s had 12 months of an empty stadium and he’s still here.

‘Cold hard truth’ that match-going fans are the problem is a load of bollocks. The biggest issue is the fanbase is fractured and not united, as evidenced by pathetic comments like yours. Maybe if we had a fanbase working in one direction, it’d have more effect.

Too many personalities trying to push their own Twitter likes up. We must have the most ‘fan groups’ in the world. There is a new one popping up every two minutes. The Trust only appear when they want some new m£mbers on the back of hysteria.

Obviously it’s not easy to get tens/hundreds of thousands of people to agree, but more needs to be done.

If Jamie Reuben really is advising Ashley to protect both of their investments, surely it’s a no-brainier to say ‘sack Bruce now and hire someone decent’. If his advice is keep Bruce but bring in a decent coach, it’s a proper head scratcher.

If Jamie Reuben really is advising Ashley to protect both of their investments, surely it’s a no-brainier to say ‘sack Bruce now and hire someone decent’. If his advice is keep Bruce but bring in a decent coach, it’s a proper head scratcher.

The current situation suggests that nobody is advising anyone.

Anyone who steps foot in that ground while the Muppets are here deserve all the pain they can get from watching games to the pundits licking arse,if they moan once I'll soak up the tears

Unless it's to throw a cabbage onto the pitch. Personally I would never advocate for such behaviour, but it would make a cracking photo.

"Game abandoned-Leaves on the pitch"

Anyone who steps foot in that ground while the Muppets are here deserve all the pain they can get from watching games to the pundits licking arse,if they moan once I'll soak up the tears

Unless it's to throw a cabbage onto the pitch. Personally I would never advocate for such behaviour, but it would make a cracking photo.

"Game abandoned-Leaves on the pitch"

Wouldn't work Ashley would either ban you for life or start selling cabbages with the SD logo on, if you really want Ur club back stay away

Guest neesy111

If people want to go to match and support/back the team, that's fine but it's those who go use the excuse of it being a day out and then sit in silence for 90 minutes who I've got issues with.

If people want to go to match and support/back the team, that's fine but it's those who go use the excuse of it being a day out and then sit in silence for 90 minutes who I've got issues with.

60 at most. Arrive late, leave early. Extended half-time pisswater pints.

Guest neesy111

60 at most. Arrive late, leave early. Extended half-time pisswater pints.

True. :lol:

A lot of people I know just go now as it's an excuse to go on the piss with their mates all day and justify it to their lasses as tradition.  It is a great day out mind when times are good.

Such a boring debate. The superfans reckon they're mint and the watching on a dodgy stream lot reckon they're equally mint. It's a fucking football match at the end of the day, nobody needs to justify themselves in the slightest.

:lol: Aye, who gives a fuck, eh?

Such a boring debate. The superfans reckon they're mint and the watching on a dodgy stream lot reckon they're equally mint. It's a fucking football match at the end of the day, nobody needs to justify themselves in the slightest.

i agree tbh, especially in the current climate with all the recent restrictions in our lives. my kids desperate to go again even though they hate bruce/ashley, and i will be taking them when it opens up.

but i do think the supporters going need to voice their unhappiness at  the state of the club if they do go.

Random. You’ve lost me.

You're the same bellend we've had on here under various usernames many times before.  Even after you've been told again and again that your repetitive one track boring patter is lifting you still keep coming back to annoy the shit out of everyone by saying the same fucking thing over and over again.

I look forward to calminthechaos disappearing fairly shortly and then another complete fuckwit showing up under whatever stupid username you choose registering to ensure that this remains the rancid cesspit section of the forum.

Please get the message and just fuck off.

Depends how you view life I guess. Like if I band who id loved my entire life, suddenly started going around saying “lol you fans are complete cunts, like seriously buying our music is so stupid, we don’t give a fuck about you, we hate you” and started putting our terrible albums. I wouldn’t be paying to go watch them live. I still don’t see how giving someone who hates you and your city money makes any rational sense

Yup untill you hurt Ashley, the club wil always be run the same . Noway he'd want to do half price tickets for 10k fans again