Burnley 1-2 Newcastle United - post-match reaction from pg24

Yorkie

Just now, Cronky said:

Well it was definitely an indirect free kick for dangerous play. No question. What I'm not sure of is whether VAR is supposed to be used for that kind of decision - ie only goals, pens, offside, and foul play. Otherwise it was as clear as anything.

I'm glad we're still in it and not two down. Those whipped crosses from the left have us in all sorts of trouble.

Almiron looks out of sorts. I don't suppose that remark about wanting to play for a team that battles has helped him much.

Being played out of position doesn't really help him much.

Just now, Bimpy474 said:

Aye i get that to a extent agree but as Joeyt just said, why not let the onfield ref have a look to decide if he got it wrong.

I also agree as someone else alluded to, VAR being implemented by idiots isn't helping help it get accepted.

As you say though, it's all subjective, no one will ever agree on things.

Absolutely, should have directed the ref to have a look. 

VAR has just replaced the same conversations we had before VAR about decisions. But added in even more confusion as some decisions are look at, and some aren’t. 

All it has done is slow the game down, rule out goals that should remain, created confusion in stadiums and added more controversy. A win for Sky, I wonder why the media wanted it so much.

Just now, neesy111 said:

I don't think he did, but what PMGOL said was shite.

Another case of then backing themselves and not being held accountable.

If you feel as though you need to defends a referee’s decision before the match has even finished, then the decision was fucking wrong.

Edited by Stifler

2 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

They didn’t. One of them was adamant Tarkowski did nothing wrong.

I’m not saying it isn’t a pen - I think it is. But there are plenty of people who don’t think it is (Attwell included).

Watch it again they did on the replay you’re wrong

Just now, Big Geordie said:

What have they said in the sky studio?

burnley the better team - but we should have had pen. Bruce has his excuses lined up again. 

Yea they all thought it should have been a Pen.

Just now, Big Geordie said:

What have they said in the sky studio?

burnley the better team - but we should have had pen. Bruce has his excuses lined up again. 

All said it should have been a pen

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

Nowhere in the Laws of the Game does it mention "getting the ball" or "playing the ball first". What a load of fucking shit.

Correct, it's about endangering an opponent, where the ball is irrelevant at the stage you enter endangering an opponent.

Someone on the radio said it may not have been given because Gayle was judged to be offside? ?‍♂️ What in the actual fuck.. where was he supposed to go after his momentum took him past the post?

5 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Haven't seen it yet, it's on in the background but I'm not watching. Didn't hear anybody say the ref had given a pen? So I assume it was an example of VAR not overruling the ref's decision.

It was an example of just how shit the refereeing in general in this country. Effectively two referees failed to apply the rules, the one on the pitch and the one in the tv studio. 

"But it wasn't deliberate....!!"

1 minute ago, mighty__mag said:

Dangerous play = foul

Foul in the box = pen

Simple??

I don't think that's correct. It's only fouls that would otherwise have resulted in a direct free kick that get converted into pens. 

We should have had an indirect free kick on the edge of the goal area, with the defending team having to stand on the goal line. It's not a situation you see very often, and it often results in a goal.

6 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

They didn’t. One of them was adamant Tarkowski did nothing wrong.

I’m not saying it isn’t a pen - I think it is. But there are plenty of people who don’t think it is (Attwell included).

They did initially but rapidly back-pedalled 

Just now, Cronky said:

We should have had an indirect free kick on the edge of the goal area, with the defending team having to stand on the goal line. It's not a situation you see very often, and it often results in a goal.

You what?

Just now, Cronky said:

I don't think that's correct. It's only fouls that would otherwise have resulted in a direct free kick that get converted into pens. 

What? So you're claiming it wasn't dangerous play? 

Just now, TRon said:

It was an example of just how shit the refereeing in general in this country. Effectively two referees failed to apply the rules, the one on the pitch and the one in the tv studio. 

"But it wasn't deliberate....!!"

It's another example of the public accepting something based on it's falsely advertised qualities. Now we can look forward to a lifetime of complaining about it.