Relegationometer

Yorkie

Relegationometer  

332 members have voted

1. 1. We going down then or what? 10 - aye, doomed, no hope of salvation / 5 - can't call it / 0 - nah we're sound, can't wait for next season

Everton at home was abysmal.

Still should have got at least a draw.

That game particularly riles me because Everton were fucking woeful, they're by far the worst team I've seen play at SJP this season, they were fucking terrible. And we lost due to a Darlow error, spurning of chances and bad luck in the first half and then players not being arsed in the second.

Everything boils down to us not being able to get that extra goal. We're an alright side; fairly solid, as far as bottom half teams go, and we create a good amount of chances. There's just never been any fucker there to finish them off. Which is why a striker should have been through the door on the 1st of January.

Instead we got a crock on loan with minutes of the transfer window to go. Meanwhile his parent club are pissing themselves that they managed to convince some desperate mugs to pay for an injured player's wages for a few months.

That's why, for all Rafa needlessly put us under pressure with a couple of horrendous subs against Bournemouth, I can't be too hard on his decision making. Every single rick is amplified to the nth degree because we barely have enough quality to score the requisite amount of goals to survive in this division. It's only down to the fact he's constructed a functional unit out of this unfit-for-purpose squad that we've even got a chance in the first place.

Everything boils down to us not being able to get that extra goal. We're an alright side; fairly solid, as far as bottom half teams go, and we create a good amount of chances. There's just never been any fucker there to finish them off. Which is why a striker should have been through the door on the 1st of January.

Instead we got a crock on loan with minutes of the transfer window to go. Meanwhile his parent club are pissing themselves that they managed to convince some desperate mugs to pay for an injured player's wages for a few months.

That's why, for all Rafa needlessly put us under pressure with a couple of horrendous subs against Bournemouth, I can't be too hard on his decision making. Every single rick is amplified to the nth degree because we barely have enough quality to score the requisite amount of goals to survive in this division. It's only down to the fact he's constructed a functional unit out of this unfit-for-purpose squad that we've even got a chance in the first place.

giphy.gif

That game particularly riles me because Everton were f***ing woeful, they're by far the worst team I've seen play at SJP this season, they were f***ing terrible. And we lost due to a Darlow error, spurning of chances and bad luck in the first half and then players not being arsed in the second.

Was this not the game when Ritchie or Merino cannoned the post?

Sure there was consecutive games when we hit the wood work. Might have even been the same game.

That game particularly riles me because Everton were f***ing woeful, they're by far the worst team I've seen play at SJP this season, they were f***ing terrible. And we lost due to a Darlow error, spurning of chances and bad luck in the first half and then players not being arsed in the second.

Sure there was consecutive games when we hit the wood work. Might have even been the same game.

Merino.

Merino.

Ritchie hit the bar in that game too

This weekend;

Sat 03.03.2018:

Burnley v Everton (12.30pm)

Leicester City v Bournemouth (3pm)

Southampton v Stoke City (3pm)

Swansea City v West Ham (3pm)

Spurs v Huddersfield Town (3pm)

Watford v West Bromwich Albion (3pm)

Liverpool v Newcastle (5.30pm) BT

Sun 04.03.2018:

Brighton & Hove Albion v Arsenal (1.30pm) Sky

Manchester City v Chelsea (4pm) Sky

Mon 05.03.2018:

Crystal Palace v Manchester United (8pm) Sky

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43202293

First season back in the Premier League.

Highest Premier League finish: 2nd (1995-96, 1996-97)

Who have they got left to play?

Liverpool (a), Southampton (h), Tottenham (a), Huddersfield (h), Leicester (a), Arsenal (h), Everton (a), West Brom (h), Watford (a), Chelsea (h)

Top scorer: Dwight Gayle (5)

Manager this season: Rafael Benitez

What do they need to reach 37 points?

Three more wins should do it for Newcastle, and home games against Southampton, Huddersfield and West Brom look like arguably their best hopes. The Magpies have scored only 12 goals at home all season, though.

Why are they in trouble?

Benitez guided Newcastle to the Championship title last season - and he has still got the same team. Eight of the XI who started the 2-2 draw against Bournemouth last weekend were key parts of the promotion-winning side. Continuity is good, but there's been a definite lack of investment.

Like all teams in the mix, goals have been hard to find. 13 different players have scored in the league but Newcastle have managed only 27 goals in 28 games.

Why are they staying up?

If they stay up Rafael Benitez will get even more credit in the bank. Despite the club being up for sale and January loan signing Islam Slimani injured, Benitez has crafted a four-match unbeaten run at a key time.

BBC chief football correspondent John Murray: "It's entirely possible we will look back on their home win against Manchester United this month and say that was the difference between staying up and going down. Staying up for Newcastle would be an achievement in itself after another season of uncertainty over the future direction and ownership of the club."

SAM predicted finish: 14th with 41 points.

z62xrsn.jpg

The rest of March is stupidly vital to survival hopes especially with its bizarre three-week gap:

10th  Southampton (H)

<Gap of 21 days>

31st  Huddersfield Town (H)

6 points - We'll be fine

3-4 points - Decent return but more work to do

1-2 points - Will be a struggle

0 points - fucked

Guest firetotheworks

Even on 0 points it would be exactly NUFC to pick them up elsewhere. FWIW I'm now confident that we can beat Leicester away if it's needed.

Guest Howaythetoon

My worry is lack of goals and an inability to hold onto a lead... it’s going to be very tight and may go down to the last day.

Even on 0 points it would be exactly NUFC to pick them up elsewhere. FWIW I'm now confident that we can beat Leicester away if it's needed.

Leicester away, Everton away and Watford away.

Put in the usual effort and we'll beat one of these end-of-season slackers.

Guest firetotheworks

Slimani still to come in as well, but even then, fucking hell, just other teams are terrible. We're a player away from comfortable safety because everyone else is competent in Rafa's system.