Liverpool 1-1 Newcastle United - 24/04/21

Disco

1 minute ago, Stottie said:

I've missed the post game on tv, but if I understand the rules, a push in the back on someone clean through isn't just a penalty, it's a red card as well.

It's DOGSO with no genuine attempt on the ball. The no double punishment rule only applies when there is a geniune attempt on the ball. We should all know this from the Pickford incident when he was mistakenly allowed to stay on and saved the penalty, before committing various hilarious howlers.

I'm not actually against VAR, just the plonkers in charge of it.The only VAR I systematically dislike is marginal offsides.

The one a few seasons back at SJP? Double jeopardy wasn’t even a thing when that mackem goblin did that.

2 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Fucking atrocious VAR decision. Just don't understand what Wilson can do there and his hand is into his body. Then the decision time. Milner was down for longer. 

Great entertainment to watch with a Livepool fan though. 

In the first half there was an incident when the ball bounced up in the box, onto, I think it was Clarkes arm, no penalty as he couldn't do anything about it. The same rule has been applied differently in the sme game.

1 minute ago, Thumbheed said:

Maybe I have a more romantic view of the game than others, but football is more than the result to me. I love that football can make you go through 20 emotions in about 5 minutes, and I will always love that more than being able to scrape a 1-1 draw with a team who've had a 95 minutes equaliser disallowed because the striker had a stray pube in an offside position. 

I don't like it either.

I was always against VAR being introduced because I knew referees would still be incapable of making the right decision even when looking at a slow motion replay. I wasn't wong. What I didn't account for is how inconsistently it would be used. It's impossible to predict when they're going to bust it out. It's as if the machine isn't turned on all the time or something.

Would probably rather VAR was limited to managers being able to contest two decisions per team, per game or something. Current format is shite and used so inconsistently that I'd almost prefer it to have a semi-tactical implementation, rather than analysing every toe, finger and arm whenever a goal is scored. 

13 minutes ago, Sima said:

The one a few seasons back at SJP? Double jeopardy wasn’t even a thing when that mackem goblin did that.

No, I remember it being mentioned at the time. I only really watch Toon matches and wouldn't know it from another teams' games.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jordan-pickford-newcastle-everton-penalty-15948894

4 minutes ago, Andy said:

Would probably rather VAR was limited to managers being able to contest two decisions per team, per game or something. Current format is shite and used so inconsistently that I'd almost prefer it to have a semi-tactical implementation, rather than analysing every toe, finger and arm whenever a goal is scored. 

The NFL implements this quite well with the "challenge" system where each team gets (I think) 2 challenges per game and forces an instant video review when they believe a decision is wrong. It can't be any more chaotic and poorly done than it currently is with players offside by a lug half the time.

10 minutes ago, Andy said:

Wouldn't they then just contest when a goal was scored against them, especially from corners, free kicks etc when there are a load of fouls in the box ?

1 minute ago, madras said:

Wouldn't they then just contest when a goal was scored against them, especially from corners, free kicks etc when there are a load of fouls in the box ?

Haven't really thought it through in depth like :lol:if you could only use it a limited number of times a game, probably not unless there was some certainty. The decision would still be reviewed and have to be correct. 

I mean, are referees not alot allowed any wriggle room on sensibility?

"By the laws of the game", needs changed to, "by the spirit of the game".

That pen we got a spurs, i will quite happily sacrifice shite decisions like that, for sensible ones like todays should have been. The same goes for offsides. Just have a quick a look, is it obvious? Or do you need to get a fucking ruler out? If you have to get a ruler out, then he is onside.

It's absolute madness.

3 minutes ago, Andy said:

Haven't really thought it through in depth like :lol:if you could only use it a limited number of times a game, probably not unless there was some certainty. The decision would still be reviewed and have to be correct. 

Sounds too time-outy to me.

3 minutes ago, madras said:

No system is perfect. Before VAR, they got multiple decisions demonstrably wrong every single game which is why we ended up with this VAR shit show in the first place. Now we get slightly less decisions wrong but have to deal with micro managing every big decision and they still get them wrong often. Something in-between like a 2 challenges per game system would be open to cynicism (like challenging for pushing and shoving at a goal scored during a corner like you suggested) but at least the game isnt being micro-analyzed every single time. Dunno. No plan or system is perfect. 

Must say, I don't think VAR is the problem, it's the implementation and I miss the spontaneity and mayhem that the game used to be, it basically worked for a century, shouldn't have been changed. Which means i'm contradicting myself by suggesting a different change. Fuck.

How about just for deliberate/professional fouls. I've not thought this through and generally would just prefer none. It's subjective, but so much is already - would mean can be used for an egregious handball like the Maradonna one but not for offsides and little fouls and that. The problem is as soon as you have it at all, any mistake people will inevitably saying, well there's a telly right there, we can all see what happened,  why not intervene. That's the case now too. e.g. VAR isn't used for a wrong corner, if have it, seems silly and arbitrary at times when to use and when not. (just scrap pls)

Get rid of back room refs. Have the 4th official and the onfield ref. A pitch side monitor will do. Anything contentious, let the 4th official have a look, then the ref. 

I don’t think the amount of wrong decisions was excessive before VAR, it’s was just the focus of the media and the conversation for some reason. They prefer that than talking about why teams actually won and lost.

Personally I think we should just accept that football isn’t an exact science and that there will be mistakes. 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don’t think the amount of wrong decisions was excessive before VAR, it’s was just the focus of the media and the conversation for some reason. They prefer that than talking about why teams actually won and lost.

Personally I think we should just accept that football isn’t an exact science and that there will be mistakes. 

Yes.

Surely there is a technology now, like them vests that all footballers wear, that can automatically tell you when a player is offside. If you can know the exact moment a ball is passed, the vest or whatever tech would be able to pick up whether the forward or defender is further ahead of the play.