Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

Also, every legal opinion I've seen on the matter has been that PIF are legally separate and independent from the Saudi state. The appeal process, whilst still a PL process, would at least have a legally qualified chairman.

Can you link a few of these legal opinions? I know the guy the NUST hired to write to the Premier League attempted to make that argument, haven't seen any others?

https://www.footballlaw.co.uk/articles/newcastle-united-fc-takeover-and-the-premier-leagues-owners-and-directors-test

That is the NUST guy.

But all he offers is:

"∆ On 2 June 2020 Qatari- and Saudi- based lawyers provided confirmation to this author that KSA PIF is a separate legal entity."

Which is a) a worthless and vague piece of information and b) tells us nothing about the independence of the PIF, which is the crux of the matter. No-one who wasn't under the pay or the influence of the Saudis would ever try and make the argument that the PIF is operationally independent of the government of KSA.

But the WTO confirmed that they see PIF and KSA as legally separate entities.

Guest Cheesy Beans

If the PL haven’t followed their own rules, they’d be wide open for legal action even without making a decision.

They will have a loophole or something, there is no way it’d be as simple as is being made out on here.

The only way this is resolved is if enough pressure (legal, Government, media, fan) is applied to the PL and they’re backed into a corner. There needs to be an organised campaign against them to get it resolved.

Exactly step forward your friends at NUST who seem to have given up and gone on holiday.

I’m completely out of order on that, apparently.

Which one of you two was Godzilla on here?

Do you agree with their decision to call Masters ‘sincere’ and call off the protests which were gaining traction against the PL?

Genuinely interested to hear the other thoughts. It’s a complete and utter cock up from my point of view.

Is it not at all the same as when Rafa left? Asked for members to take action and united voices are better etc. etc. Then a total U-turn, refused any sort of protest and was trying to help the club flog tickets by January.

And I know I'm nutting a brick wall here

I know the feeling.

I'll try again though for the lolz.

Genuine question. Why do you think the PL haven't simply rejected it if it's so cut and dry and the PIF and SA are the same entity ?

Why would they, we’ve had football law and even Qatari’s accept PIF are separate entity amongst others. The point being they should have right to appeal, and if it goes to CAS or high court the appeal will be based on the whole decision, not one aspect like the PL are trying to rail road them into.

Maybe, but it would be better than the limbo we're in.

Also, every legal opinion I've seen on the matter has been that PIF are legally separate and independent from the Saudi state. The appeal process, whilst still a PL process, would at least have a legally qualified chairman.

There must be a reason why the PL are so reluctant to make a formal decision. We as supporters should be doing everything we can to make it as uncomfortable as possible for them to avoid making that decision.

We can assume PIF is a separate legal entity from KSA, but that does not necessarily mean KSA is not a Director. I guess I shouldn't say they'd "likely prevail" as there's information we don't know for sure. But, I think it's very likely that PIF would be a Parent Undertaking of the club, meaning that where the rules say "Club" you can read that as "PIF", such that a Director of PIF would be a Director of the Club, and I just don't see how you can say KSA is not a director of PIF.

A.1.54 “Director”  means  any  Person occupying  the  position  of  director of a Club whose particulars are registered or registrable under the provisions of section 162 of the Act and includes a shadow director, that is to say, a Person in accordance  with  whose  directions  or  instructions  the  directors  of  the  Club  are  accustomed to act, or a Person having Control over the Club, or a Person exercising the powers that are usually associated with the powers of a director of a company;

A.1.48 "Control” means the  power of  a  Person  to  exercise,  or  to  be  able  to  exercise  or  acquire, direct or indirect control over the policies, affairs and/or management of a Club, whether that power is constituted by rights or contracts (either separately or in combination) and having regard to the considerations of fact or law involved, and, without  prejudice  to  the  generality  of  the  foregoing,  Control  shall  be  deemed  to  include:(a)the power (whether directly or indirectly and whether by the ownership of share capital, by the possession of voting power, by contract or otherwise including without limitation by way of membership of any Concert Party) to appoint and/or remove all or such of the members of the board of directors of the Club as are able to cast a majority of the votes capable of being cast by the members of that board; and/or(b)the holding and/or possession of the beneficial interest in, and/or the ability to  exercise  the  voting  rights  applicable  to,  Shares  in  the  Club  (whether  directly, indirectly (by means of holding such interests in one or more other persons) or by contract including without limitation by way of membership of any Concert Party) which confer in aggregate on the holder(s) thereof 30 per cent or more of the total voting rights exercisable at general meetings of the Club.For the purposes of the above, any rights or powers of a Nominee for any Person or of  an  Associate  of  any  Person  or  of  a  Connected  Person  to  any  Person  shall  be  attributed to that Person;

A.1.29. “Club” means an association football club in membership of the League and: ... (b)  for  the  purposes  of  Rules  A.1.48,  A.1.54,  A.1.186,  and  Sections F  and  H  of  these  Rules  (including  any  Forms  prescribed  therein)  includes  any  Associated    Undertaking,    Fellow    Subsidiary    Undertaking,    Group    Undertaking, or Parent Undertaking of such Club;

Can you link a few of these legal opinions? I know the guy the NUST hired to write to the Premier League attempted to make that argument, haven't seen any others?

https://www.footballlaw.co.uk/articles/newcastle-united-fc-takeover-and-the-premier-leagues-owners-and-directors-test

That is the NUST guy.

But all he offers is:

"∆ On 2 June 2020 Qatari- and Saudi- based lawyers provided confirmation to this author that KSA PIF is a separate legal entity."

Which is a) a worthless and vague piece of information and b) tells us nothing about the independence of the PIF, which is the crux of the matter. No-one who wasn't under the pay or the influence of the Saudis would ever try and make the argument that the PIF is operationally independent of the government of KSA.

I'm not saying I agree with it.

But the WTO confirmed that they see PIF and KSA as legally separate entities.

No mate, they honestly didn't. They didn't even consider the question, it was completely irrelevant to the case they were presiding over.

The issue quite simply is not whether the KSA and PIF are the same entity. We can assume they're not--just as corporations are not the same entities as their stockholders. But it would be an uphill battle to convince me that the PIF is not under the control of KSA when its board is composed of MSB and government ministers.

Obviously, still, fuck the PL. They ought to at least have the balls to give the disqualification notice rather than keeping things in never-never-land.

Which is where it is at. The PL should reject this takeover based on lack of sufficient evidence from the consortium surely?

If they are all still keen to make this happen then they need to go away and restructure this deal in a way in which it can't be scrutinised as it has been.

I can't be arsed to find all of the individual posts but heard a neat summary from a solicitor (whose partner is a barrister and, together with her, gave the same view in detail when the WTO report came out)

https://twitter.com/RedRoseMichelle/status/1303807889019207680

Oh.

I'm astonished that she still has the cheek to be passing comment on this considering she and her melt boyfriend have embarassed themselves at every turn for the past 6 months.

And I know I'm nutting a brick wall here but for the record, the WTO passed absolutely no comment on the relationship between the PIF and the government of KSA. So if someone is telling you otherwise (like this Shell clown), they're either consciously or unconsiously bullsitting you.

Talking about a melt making a fool of himself, what happened to Redbird Capital and Henry Mauriss, eh?

If the PL haven’t followed their own rules, they’d be wide open for legal action even without making a decision.

They will have a loophole or something, there is no way it’d be as simple as is being made out on here.

The only way this is resolved is if enough pressure (legal, Government, media, fan) is applied to the PL and they’re backed into a corner. There needs to be an organised campaign against them to get it resolved.

Exactly step forward your friends at NUST who seem to have given up and gone on holiday.

That’ll be Cheesy beans, however more to the point do you now accept the takeover wasn’t dead ?

Your credibility along with a few other on here is now zero.

Maybe you should delete your account and come back as Frank Pingel, oh hold on that’s already taken, maybe Rob McDonald he was pretty useless aswell.

You doing much this weekend?

:lol:

Guest Cheesy Beans

That’ll be Cheesy beans, however more to the point do you now accept the takeover wasn’t dead ?

Maybe you should delete your account and come back as Frank Pingel, oh hold on that’s already taken, maybe Rob McDonald he was pretty useless aswell.

I don’t know what Godzilla means - I’m assuming it means I’m a bit of a twat :lol:

Guest Cheesy Beans

Next tweet: “do you think this is crucial to the takeover?”

Douglas: “don’t think it’ll have any impact”

:lol: So why is it interesting news? Why are you tweeting about it?

Next tweet: “do you think this is crucial to the takeover?”

Douglas: “don’t think it’ll have any impact”

:lol: So why is it interesting news? Why are you tweeting about it?

MoneyMikeAshley knows and said it yesterday.

CLIKC CLICK CLICK

Strangely enough Rob McDonald was my second choice of user name.

PL answers to the FA. Who is the president of the FA? That's right. Prince William. Did MBS call in a favor? The Big 6 Media would tell you that's rubbish but the fact is yes it 100% did happen. Expect more oustings.

So Prince William has done for Bill Bush, thought I was losing the plot  :lol:

I like it though.

I literally cannot believe we should have been taken over on tuesday.  What a day that would have been fucking premier league.  Why does nothing ever go to bastard plan for us.

This is what I was just thinking.  I wish I'd never fucking heard another thing about it.  Now I'm just gutted/pissed off all over again.

I think I must have missed the part about it being Tuesday specifically but the information that's come out this week has been so confusing, i'm not yet convinced it was ever genuinely close.

You could be right.  Regardless I was still happy not to hear another fuckin thing about this and ignore the football forum till the missus mentioned something about the Prem rejecting it, then I was straight back in :lol: sucker for punishment.

Two fine strikers I can see how you were torn.

Both fine and relevant figureheads for this great club.

Both fine and relevant figureheads for this great club.

Hoy in Billy Askew behind both of them and who’d need the fucking Saudis.