Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

I’m sure Staveley and Ashley are doing all they can to lure PIF back - and that is why they haven’t withdrawn it from PL. PL has to make decision and legal actions will follow that.

It’s reassuring that AS and MA are doing everything to get this done and it’s brilliant that fans are voicing their opinion about this. Hopefully Saudis see our support and give us one more chance. But I dont believe that they will.

I agree it's all on Ashley now. PCP are gone and not coming back.

Everything depends on whether Ashley can negotiate a deal with another buyer which I think is highly unlikely.

'He's here forever' has never sounded so relevant.

It feels weird being in a situation where Ashley isn't the dick.

I’m sure Staveley and Ashley are doing all they can to lure PIF back - and that is why they haven’t withdrawn it from PL. PL has to make decision and legal actions will follow that.

It’s reassuring that AS and MA are doing everything to get this done and it’s brilliant that fans are voicing their opinion about this. Hopefully Saudis see our support and give us one more chance. But I dont believe that they will.

They can’t pass the test. This isn’t about convincing PIF to give us a chance. It’s 100% over.

Everything depends on whether Ashley can negotiate a deal with another buyer which I think is highly unlikely.

Bold to predict we’ve heard the last of PCP - Staveley will be scrounging for new investors already.

PIF are gone and gone, probably from English football for the foreseeable. It’s easy to imagine them buying an Italian or Spanish club, or even Marseille or Lyon to crush the everloving shit out of PSG.

That's my feeling as well, although who knows how long it'll be. Wouldn't be surprised if the Reuben brothers are also involved again - it just depends on finding someone prepared to fund the biggest chunk.

Guest reefatoon

Exactly. If we were wanting to challenge for honours, PIF was the answer. If you need someone to just be an utter cunt and make things as difficult as possible for the premier league, Mike is your man. After all this time, the bastard might come in handy.

Exactly. If we were wanting to challenge for honours, PIF was the answer. If you need someone to just be an utter cunt and make things as difficult as possible for the premier league, Mike is your man. After all this time, the bastard might come in handy.

At this stage I don’t even care about challenging for honours. I’d settle for investment in the academy and training facilities, feeling some pride in the team attempting to improve, liking our manager (who isn’t constantly telling fans how our expectations are too high), seeing an attempt at improving each season, seeing an actual game plan on the pitch (even if it’s not always successful). Fuck the top 6.

(Not targeted at you) but I think it's important not to lose sight of the enemy, mind, particularly if there's any appetite left from the fans in terms of contributing to forcing a change. We're all devastated right now precisely because we're stuck with the dick.

The Premier League has let us down enormously and if there's truth in them bowing to pressure from members of the existing elite, it exposes an alarming attitude towards competition from arguably the most important institution in the game in this country. That is a concern which goes beyond our own situation and is more fundamental: is the PL itself motivated to maintain the status quo of elite clubs?

But even if that is true: clubs have shown as recently as this season that you can break down those barriers regardless of whatever forces may be working against you, providing you're well run and competitively backed. Leicester City are a beacon of hope in this elite-and-the-rest hierarchy; Wolves making a very decent stab at it too with year-on-year progression into becoming a club that will have a legitimate stake at the top 6 again next season. Whatever the Premier League sees as being it's ideal competitive - with a top 6 fighting out a mini-league at the top - it doesn't matter, so long as you're good enough.

It's something we'll never see reflected here under Ashley so the sooner we can put PIF behind us, the sooner we can get back to making the place as undesirable as possible for Ashley to stay here, and make him even more certain of accepting the next acceptable bid.

It’ll always be my club, however I also don’t think I’ll ever get over this or want anything to do with PL again.

This is exactly how I'm feeling. It's so much worse for the fact that it isn't Ashley that has screwed us this time, but the premier league itself. In that context, I can't see a reason to continue to follow the club in any kind of meaningful way, however great my strength of feeling towards it.

Weirdly not many journalists seem to be pursuing the Premier League for answers. There seems to be almost zero pressure on them outside of our fan base. Publicly anyway.

Because it's not seen as any sort of scandal outside of the NUFC fanbase - the Saudis were incapable of passing the ownership tests given their industrial-scale piracy of the Premier League's intellectual property, and therefore withdrew their bid. That's the story for people who aren't emotionally invested in Mike Ashley not being the owner of Newcastle United.

The premier leagues position isnt as strong as they think it is.

Those big clubs to have lobbied against the PIF acquisition are the same clubs who are looking at a potential superleague setup.

The PL could have, as part of their negotiations, had an ally against the superleague.

This is why I felt so sure it would go through. Everyone had something to gain.

It's gut-wrenching mate. Especially seeing another club being eyed up so quickly after our takeover has collapsed. Salt in the wounds.