Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

Too much of a bent group of cowards to even do that. I may not agree with them but I’d have more respect for the process if they stood behind their decision and made a statement. The silence since last week just shows the level of respect they have for football supporters and the general public. Just goes to show the test for the league is really for their own self interests and nothing to do with club itself or fans.

You have to assume that PIF had been tipped off they were going to fail by upper levels of government and therefore walked to save the embarrassment and the wider relationship imho.

Otherwise, let it run its course, drop things in the media, increase the volume and force the PL into making a decision. That way you get your £17m back, you get the legal angle if you want it and you get the fans 100% on board without any 'well, they walked away' arguments.

Them pulling out has to be have been based on something and not just impatience.

You have to assume that PIF had been tipped off they were going to fail by upper levels of government and therefore walked to save the embarrassment and the wider relationship imho.

Otherwise, let it run its course, drop things in the media, increase the volume and force the PL into making a decision. That way you get your £17m back, you get the legal angle if you want it and you get the fans 100% on board without any 'well, they walked away' arguments.

Them pulling out has to be have been based on something and not just impatience.

Yep. And AS's "they made it impossible". They knew they weren't going to satisfy everything.

They couldn't just wait around indefinitely though.  17 weeks with no end in sight, you have to draw the line somewhere.

Yep. And AS's "they made it impossible". They knew they weren't going to satisfy everything.

I think so. They've been tipped off by the top and, in the whole scheme of things, Masters is a minion compared to Boris et al who have far more to gain/lose with their relationship with KSA/The Reubens etc.

This will sound ridiculous but I'm not even 100% sure Staveley would've been fully in the picture with any discussion between PIF and the UK Government.

For sure, the UK Government will have to swing something PIF's/KSA's way as an apology for this. 100%.

They couldn't just wait around indefinitely though.  17 weeks with no end in sight, you have to draw the line somewhere.

Why? They said themselves that it's a long term investment.

The goodwill of any takeover would've got us through this season even without new players.

I genuinely think they could've waited it out. They could have leaked all sorts to get the fans irate/to the point of protest and still not formally withdrawn.

That's probably been agreed with the big boys at the very top table, well above Masters level imho.

Guest Cheesy Beans

Without sounding like a knacker... The story I’m led to believe:

PIF were getting increasingly frustrated at a lack of decision. PL were asking for more, PIF refusing to give (I assume registering the directors as reported). PIF asked for a deadline on a decision, PL refused to give it.

PIF said they’d walk away. PL released propaganda in to the media regarding ‘deadlock’, ‘PIF not giving the information requested’ etc. This led to absolute fury in the PIF camp and PIF met and were going to release a statement telling all and blasting the PL, but were advised legally not to do so as this would breach the confidentiality and cut all ties with the PL.

PIF still have an interest, MA still wants to sell to PIF but the PL need to budge otherwise they can’t proceed. MA and PIF are still liaising with the PL which makes fan pressure all the more important (hence Staveley’s comments).

Even if the Premier League give reasons for not accepting it, it’ll be something. The worst part is only hearing Staveley’s story and then erm, Edwards & Golfmag. If the Premier League themselves backed up what those two have said it’d be a helluva lot easier to take.

PIF were getting increasingly frustrated at a lack of decision. PL were asking for more, PIF refusing to give (I assume registering the directors as reported). PIF asked for a deadline on a decision, PL refused to give it.

PIF said they’d walk away. PL released propaganda in to the media regarding ‘deadlock’, ‘PIF not giving the information requested’ etc. This led to absolute fury in the PIF camp and PIF met and were going to release a statement telling all and blasting the PL, but were advised legally not to do so as this would breach the confidentiality and cut all ties with the PL.

PIF still have an interest, MA still wants to sell to PIF but the PL need to budge otherwise they can’t proceed. MA and PIF are still liaising with the PL which makes fan pressure all the more important (hence Staveley’s comments).

Yup, still got legs this one.

:thup:

We were already a week into the (very belated) transfer window for the new season, potential targets are going to be getting snapped up and a potential new manager might get other offers and time runs out to prepare for the new season.

I think so. They've been tipped off by the top and, in the whole scheme of things, Masters is a minion compared to Boris et al who have far more to gain/lose with their relationship with KSA/The Reubens etc.

This will sound ridiculous but I'm not even 100% sure Staveley would've been fully in the picture with any discussion between PIF and the UK Government.

For sure, the UK Government will have to swing something PIF's/KSA's way as an apology for this. 100%.

Yep and Yep (regarding post below to IP). Until the MENA rights end, and/or something is set as a precedent elsewhere determining PIF and SA are independent enough to not tar PIF with SA's actions (not going to happen imo), it just can't happen.

Think you're bang on about PLs potential response too. "Sorry, this is private" :lol: Despite it being their process and "their decision", at this level, it's not.

Guest Cheesy Beans

Yup, still got legs this one.

Absolutely.

Saldy, that golf chap on Twitter did receive ‘itk’ info, but this was PL propaganda.

slightly off topic but was scrolling through the replies to the PL tweet and seen this:

WTF?!!  First time I've seen/heard of this quote. If it's an actual quote from the man himself.

Thought this was well known.

A school friend’s dad was a Referee (mainly Championship but did ref a few PL games) and they were told in no uncertain terms not to send off big player names (Rooney, Gerrard etc etc). Because as if some of those players were banned it would affect the PL ‘brand’ and it’s pull to audiences in the Far East etc if the players they wanted to watch were unavailable for selection.

So sometimes when you watch a game and you think the referee is biased towards a big club? It’s because that’s literally what they’re told to do.

The whole thing is corrupt man. 

slightly off topic but was scrolling through the replies to the PL tweet and seen this:

WTF?!!  First time I've seen/heard of this quote. If it's an actual quote from the man himself.

Always a good sign when a movement lapses into fake quotes and conspiracism. Engage your brains man.

Thought this was well known.

A school friend’s dad was a Referee (mainly Championship but did ref a few PL games) and they were told in no uncertain terms not to send off big player names (Rooney, Gerrard etc etc). Because as if some of those players were banned it would affect the PL ‘brand’ and it’s pull to audiences in the Far East etc if the players they wanted to watch were unavailable for selection.

So sometimes when you watch a game and you think the referee is biased towards a big club? It’s because that’s literally what they’re told to do.

The whole thing is corrupt man. 

I posted very similar a while back. Heard it from two separate sources from opposite ends of the country and differing scenarios. Within days of hearing it the second time I watched Wayne Rooney over  run the ball at Swansea and with the ball about 6ft out of reach he lashed out a kick at the Swnasea player. He was given a yellow, the one thing he couldn't get, it had to be red or the ref claims he didn't see it. Then I remembered what I'd been told earlier.

Always a good sign when a movement lapses into fake quotes and conspiracism. Engage your brains man.

Back under your bridge you