Round of 16 | Sweden 1-2 Ukraine

Unbelievable

30 minutes ago, Smal said:

Mostly agreed although I honestly don’t think we should be classed as dull as fuck after that game. Calculated sure, but I don’t think we were dull.

I completely agree. It was exactly the type of composed professional performance in a knockout game that we've asked of England against a big side for the last 56 years. Binned the fucking Germans out 2-0 having not conceded a goal in the tournament yet and still it's not enough for some people, it's really weird. I didn't watch the game while on the forum, came on after full time and frankly some of the posts in the second half before the goals were embarrassing. You'd think we'd defended for 90 minutes and won via a fluke OG. We were the better side and well worth the victory.

7 minutes ago, Wullie said:

I completely agree. It was exactly the type of composed professional performance in a knockout game that we've asked of England against a big side for the last 56 years. Binned the fucking Germans out 2-0 having not conceded a goal in the tournament yet and still it's not enough for some people, it's really weird. I didn't watch the game while on the forum, came on after full time and frankly some of the posts in the second half before the goals were embarrassing. You'd think we'd defended for 90 minutes and won via a fluke OG. We were the better side and well worth the victory.

Spot on.

I think a lot of us might’ve gotten a bit too used to moaning about the team we support :lol:. If you couldn’t enjoy that performance - knocking Germany out of a tournament 2-0 - I think it’s probably time to consider whether watching football is a healthy lifestyle choice for you.

Edited by Smal

26 minutes ago, Wullie said:

For pretty much 75 minutes we rarely had 3 players around the box. The first time we had 3+ players attacking the box we scored. Then again, I get the composed, professional performance but I dont think it was necessarily our performance that meant we were so comfy at the back. It's not like the back 7 were outsanding.

Maybe I just want more from this team given the talent everyone is so excited about. Personally I'm more annoyed we havent played our flair players more in the tournament than pleased I am we haven't conceded. Suppose it's the investment. If Newcaste (post Bruce) played 7 defensive players and only looked to meaningfully attack in the last 15 minutes and win 2-0 to get to the next round of Europe of something I'd be ecstatic. Today I'm just meh. I think we easily have the potential to be so much better. Based on how easy those 2 goals were I feel like we could have won that 5-0 if we'd pushed them back for longer. I want that kind of attitude from the top down. Maybe Im expecting too much. 

Wullie is spot on. After the first 10 minutes it was as plain sailing as you can wish for at this level. Germany weren't going to roll over and have their tummy tickled.

It was pragmatic and ruthless. It took a while for the goal to come but it always felt like it was coming.

Got the job done, it's all you can ask considering we're still developing as a squad and team. It wasn't perfect but I thought considering Germany know that system inside out and we made a pretty big tactical change we did well. 

Thought Phillips was excellent, my MOTM.

Fucking come on.

11 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

For pretty much 75 minutes we rarely had 3 players around the box. The first time we had 3+ players attacking the box we scored. Then again, I get the composed, professional performance but I dont think it was necessarily our performance that meant we were so comfy at the back. It's not like the back 7 were outsanding.

Maybe I just want more from this team given the talent everyone is so excited about. Personally I'm more annoyed we havent played our flair players more in the tournament than pleased I am we haven't conceded. Suppose it's the investment. If Newcaste (post Bruce) played 7 defensive players and only looked to meaningfully attack in the last 15 minutes and win 2-0 to get to the next round of Europe of something I'd be ecstatic. Today I'm just meh. I think we easily have the potential to be so much better. Based on how easy those 2 goals were I feel like we could have won that 5-0 if we'd pushed them back for longer. I want that kind of attitude from the top down. Maybe Im expecting too much. 

There's just no evidence that sort of approach wins tournaments. You can probably count the number of winning international teams that were entertaining in even half their games on one hand. I know what you're saying - I spent the last few weeks of the season moaning about how unwatchable I found Chelsea, where Tuchel also plays with 8 defenders - but in cups, conservatism bloody works.

Just now, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Should we have a General England thread for the remainder so we can talk about all things England and not take threads away when they change? Suppose we'll be having match threads from now on so maybe not necessary. Would be decent for discussing general England points, players and tactics maybe.

Yeah good shout, go for it. :thup:

1 minute ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Should we have a General England thread for the remainder so we can talk about all things England and not take threads away when they change? Suppose we'll be having match threads from now on so maybe not necessary. Would be decent for discussing general England points, players and tactics maybe.

I think so :thup: