PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

7 hours ago, bigfella said:

I'll never, ever understand Ashley's motives.

Selling sporting goods was his core business and as you say, owning us would be a licence to print money. But he took us backwards. 

4 hours ago, r0cafella said:

The club was a loss leader for him, he didn’t care and was far happier to enjoy the free advertising for the rest of his tat empire. 

Thing is, if he’d even allowed the club to grow naturally in terms of its other commercial revenue streams and papered SJP in SD ads, he’d still have been in a better position.  Instead the club had a skeleton staff of amateurs and incompetents.  Every done to date by the new ownership would have been possible under Ashley with just a bit of care and attention.  Don’t get me wrong, where PIF likely want to take us would have been beyond Ashley - but there would have been nothing wrong with that. 

It’s been said many times before, but the best comparison is Spurs. They were below in the table and in recent years standings when Ashley bought us. They had a stadium that was alright, but past it’s best.

They now have had a team who have been close to winning things, established themselves in the top 4, brought in major commercial revenue including Nike throwing money at them, and pumping out Spurs branded stuff that nearly makes PSG blush. To top it all off they have built the world’s best sporting stadium, and have a new training ground/academy to match.

There is absolutely no reason why a well ran Newcastle couldn’t have had the same, and I’d probably argue Aston Villa, and Everton into that as well. Alas Ashley well and truly did a demolition job on us, Villa suffered for their ownership, but are on the right track now, and Everton are trying to get there with their stadium, but still suffering.

The squad and coaching staff we have now is nothing that wasn’t beyond Ashley if he wanted it.

As someone has already said, we were a loss leader to him, like a newspaper in a supermarket, full of fucking shit, but brings the people in to spend their money.

Edited by Stifler

On 03/12/2023 at 07:22, Stifler said:

As someone has already said, we were a loss leader to him, like a newspaper in a supermarket, full of fucking shit, but brings the people in to spend their money.

It's bread and milk they use to get the punters in, btw 😉

Newspapers, on the other hand, lose their rich, establishment, owners 100s of millions a year but are cost effective in that they direct the public's thought processes in the direction that suits the rich. 

Agree with the rest tho, apart from a tax dodge, I've no idea what the FCB was playing at. 

2 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Newspapers, on the other hand, lose their rich, establishment, owners 100s of millions a year but are cost effective in that they direct the public's thought processes in the direction that suits the rich. 

Agree with the rest tho, apart from a tax dodge, I've no idea what the FCB was playing at. 

For Supermarkets though and independent stores, newspapers are a massive loss leader.

If I owned a shop, not a fucking chance I’d stock them.

6 minutes ago, Stifler said:

For Supermarkets though and independent stores, newspapers are a massive loss leader.

If I owned a shop, not a fucking chance I’d stock them.

Getting sacked, for being unreliable, at my first "job" was both a wake up call (excuse the pun) & a forecast to future me 😂😂😂

Loved that paper round. 

I take the mother in law shopping every Monday and she likes a Chronicle from Sainsbury's. 

Guaranteed, when I go over to get it off the stand, there'll be an bloke reading one.

Guaranteed, I'll say "it's not a library, mate" 

Oh how we chuckle 

11 minutes ago, huss9 said:

new club survey sent out.

not sure its a very good one tbh.

Its a very good one if you like the idea of NUFC playing in a hospitality megadome where all the seats are padded, there’s food options galore, the champagne flows, you arrive 8 hours before kick off and a ticket costs billions of millions of quid 

The football will be inconsequential to the exceptional hospitality experience 

Edited by bobbydazzla

11 hours ago, Groundhog63 said:

Most UK newspapers make profits - the broadsheets do.  Some of the tabloids have started recording losses - The Sun loses a lot of money these days

3 hours ago, bobbydazzla said:

Its a very good one if you like the idea of NUFC playing in a hospitality megadome where all the seats are padded, there’s food options galore, the champagne flows, you arrive 8 hours before kick off and a ticket costs billions of millions of quid 

The football will be inconsequential to the exceptional hospitality experience 

some simply bizarre questions