PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

2 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

I still don't quite get how the PL can think that having another club challenging wouldn't  be good for them? It would make the league more interesting and massively boost their profits. 

Surely in a perfect world they'd want every team to have at least a chance of winning. The Leicester season gave them their biggest profit ever as it sparked interest as people outside of Manchester and Liverpool are getting bored with the same thing year on year 

I still say we should take them to the anti-competition courts and it's blatantly restrain of trade and anti-competitive. 

2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

I still say we should take them to the anti-competition courts and it's blatantly restrain of trade and anti-competitive. 

Regardless of that, it's straight up business incompetence. If you want to generate more money, make your product appealing to as many people as possible. A competitive NUFC could boost their revenue by at least 10-15%, but they are cowardly towing the line that MUFC/CFC/THFC/AFC/LFC are feeding them. MCFC seem to be a bit different and aren't too bothered about us potentially disrupting the status quo. Tottenham and Arsenal are terrified as it will be likely one of them that misses out. Man U arent really that bothered as long as the money keeps flowing, and who knows what's going on with Chelsea at the minute.

Regardless, 7 teams capable of taking a title is more interesting than 6....7 in to 5 for Europe  doesn't go so the ones with potential to lose will complain the most 

2 hours ago, arnonel said:

Lots of Liv Golf in the news today

Not hugely into Golf like but seems like a canny few of the top players have gone to that tour now

Dustin Johnson and de chambreau are huge aren't they?

Not be long now before a rule comes out saying if a top 6 club bids for a player from a lower club they have to accept for the good of the player to prevent them missing out on a better career 

6 minutes ago, Decky said:

Not really arsed about this now that ours is done but it definitely isn't fair at this stage when other clubs have benefitted massively because of it. 

It's incredibly short-sighted by the clubs who are pushing for it, the more stringent the owners and directors and FFP rules they force through the more likely it is that they'll be challenged as anti-competitive and it'll all come crashing down.

20 minutes ago, Decky said:

Not really arsed about this now that ours is done but it definitely isn't fair at this stage when other clubs have benefitted massively because of it. 

Yip. Once one or two clubs have it you have to allow the opportunity for the rest.

1 hour ago, Jackie Broon said:

It's incredibly short-sighted by the clubs who are pushing for it, the more stringent the owners and directors and FFP rules they force through the more likely it is that they'll be challenged as anti-competitive and it'll all come crashing down.

Leaving the big clubs no choice but to form a ESL?

2 hours ago, Happinesstan said:

Leaving the big clubs no choice but to form a ESL?

I can’t see that happening, the government shat themselves at the level of reaction against it when they tried and it’s clear that they will legislate to prevent English clubs from joining a ESL if they need to, and there is no viable ESL without the English clubs.

Been interesting to watch PIF’s approach to this. People like Dustin Johnson and Bryson that said they’d never take part have then had huge sums of cash thrown at them, resulting in some 180’s.

From a NUFC perspective it does indicate that they’re willing to spend whatever it takes to make sure they’re successful. Confirms to me that the only restrictions for us come from FFP.

9 hours ago, Jackie Broon said:

I can’t see that happening, the government shat themselves at the level of reaction against it when they tried and it’s clear that they will legislate to prevent English clubs from joining a ESL if they need to, and there is no viable ESL without the English clubs.

If the ESL wasn't still in the horizon no Americans would've paid £4.5b for Chelsea. 

The Gvt won't stop it. 

26 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

If the ESL wasn't still in the horizon no Americans would've paid £4.5b for Chelsea. 

The Gvt won't stop it. 

All they need to do is to slightly tweak the  model to allow for limited relegation/promotion and it would easily go through with little government interference.

With regards to the Americans, if they don't get their money back through the ESL then the only other way is if the Premier League sells its matches directly to consumers, similar to Netflix. Cuts out selling TV rights to Sky, Bein, etc.

10 minutes ago, macphisto said:

All they need to do is to slightly tweak the  model to allow for limited relegation/promotion and it would easily go through with little government interference.

With regards to the Americans, if they don't get their money back through the ESL then the only other way is if the Premier League sells its matches directly to consumers, similar to Netflix. Cuts out selling TV rights to Sky, Bein, etc.

I get, after the backlash, the gvt said a few nice things about how bad an idea it was but prior to that they were all for it. Christ Koko even said that, as a free market capitalist, why would he not be all for it? UEFA's in on it as well as the Premier League. Absolutely no punishment metered out, in fact they've been rewarded with "free" ECL spots.

As for these clubs clawing back their billions via PPV they will still see the only way of maximising that particular revenue would be via a closed wider league. I suspect, ESL or no ESL, these clubs want to control their own tv revenue anyways.

16 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

Yet skysports were advertising the Liv tournament during the commercial breaks ?

I'm still confused by this, the two tournaments don't have any sort of timetable clash whatsoever, that's why the PGA have said they won't ban players taking part 

1 hour ago, macphisto said:

Maybe, but I can't see what's going to change, there is no incentive for the government to allow it and it would be massively unpopular with people they want to appeal to.

We still don't have 3pm Saturday televised matches, they're not going to suddenly let PL clubs sell their own TV rights.

16 hours ago, Ben said:

Not be long now before a rule comes out saying if a top 6 club bids for a player from a lower club they have to accept for the good of the player to prevent them missing out on a better career 

:lol:

I know that sounds incredibly petty but it still doesn't seem that far fetched.

1 hour ago, JonBez comesock said:

Yet skysports were advertising the Liv tournament during the commercial breaks ?

Same as talksports.

Blasting the players all day.. but will be sending a comms team to Saudi for the boxing making money from it.

Extremely tiresome True Faith podcast this week.

Basically Chris Waugh and Mick Martin making up things to worry about, based on absolutely no knowledge at all. 

Started OK with a review of what the owners have done so far, but the section about the future was a bit silly. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Extremely tiresome True Faith podcast this week.

Basically Chris Waugh and Mick Martin making up things to worry about, based on absolutely no knowledge at all. 

Started OK with a review of what they’ve done so far, but the section about the future was a bit silly. 

I got a bit giddy after the takeover and subscribed to their Patreon. Needless to say it didn’t last long. There’s one or two on there that talk sense but the majority of them are terrible.

The fact it’s nearly the same price as Amazon Prime is a bit silly :lol:

Generally I think they’re alright, but they’re better when they confine themselves to things they have a clue about. Also inviting journalists to speculate wildly didn’t really make for a insightful show.