PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

6 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

I wonder why Biden never sanctioned MBS.

It’s also why, despite the excitement of others every time the question comes up, what happened at Chelsea is highly unlikely to happen to NUFC.  International relations with Russia over the last couple of centuries - since the Napoleonic era if we’re being honest, World Wars aside - have never been any better than ‘frosty’.  KSA’s existence really starts with the Treaty of Jeddah, recognised and signed by the UK - and they’ve been a key ally since then.

This doesn’t mean that KSA’s barbaric govt or its atavistic practices are anything other than horrific, nor that organisations like Amnesty are not right to call them out.  But it does mean that the diplomatic pressure is in favour of pleasing a key ally of Britain, rather than - as with Russia - always the latest diplomatic crisis away from the club being forced into a sale. 

Edited by TheBrownBottle

14 hours ago, PauloGeordio said:

That is. I work offshore in the North Sea and we got down to 33$  Per barrel lifting costs and for us that was exceptional! 

Yeah we work off circa 40$ for North Sea, but that’s profit for us also. A lot of Saudi offshore stuff is in shallow water ~10/20mtrs but they buy stuff rated for ~2000mtr deep, it’s printing money for the company. 

Done some North Sea stuff, mainly Norwegian sector on FPSO’s. Better than living at home :lol:

6 hours ago, Charlies said:

Yeah we work off circa 40$ for North Sea, but that’s profit for us also. A lot of Saudi offshore stuff is in shallow water ~10/20mtrs but they buy stuff rated for ~2000mtr deep, it’s printing money for the company. 

Done some North Sea stuff, mainly Norwegian sector on FPSO’s. Better than living at home :lol:

I’m on a fixed bridge linked platform. Never fancied FPSO’s just because the “sea state” limits aren’t as favourable for getting off home on time. We have one in our company’s portfolio. Central North Sea located east of Aberdeen. Currently enjoying my 3 weeks home 😁

7 hours ago, Charlies said:

As it should be, considering you have to be away from home for so long and working long hours.

17 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Fly Saudia is now a partner of Aston Martin F1 team.

Looks like they’re ready to make an impact on a global scale, you’d assume they’re favourites for our shirt.

does anybody kick up a stink about Saudi's involvement in F1? they're all over it

5 minutes ago, Big River said:

does anybody kick up a stink about Saudi's involvement in F1? they're all over it

I think F1 have had their fingers in all sorts of dodgy pies for years that no one really bats an eyelid anymore.

36 minutes ago, Big River said:

Nope. I know a decent amount of folks who work with F1 and have done the Saudi event/dealt with Aramco folks and said they are absolutely fucking class. Nice as you could ever imagine. Absolute love F1. 

5 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Ah just the same UK based sources? I was referring more to just people in general. I hear more about Saudi involvement in NUFC from people not in the press than I do from the same people who watch and follow Formula 1. 

Fair enough if that's your personal experience, but I suppose if you're telling people you are a Newcastle fan they're much more likely to discuss it in relation to Newcastle.

I just find the 'no one raises human rights in relation to F1, golf...' craic a bit grim, mackemesque even.

I work with lads from Boro. Got all precious when one of them spotted the Saudi strip for the first time. I suggested shutting down Sabic as a proper response to protect the virtuos from “the Boro” so that they have no conflict of conscience when it comes to the Saudi state! The strip’s too much, but shutting Sabic down is a bit too much also! :cheesy:

18 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

I just find the 'no one raises human rights in relation to F1, golf...' craic a bit grim, mackemesque even.

it was a genuine question, to be fair. I don't follow F1 anywhere near as closely as Newcastle, so hadn't seen anything.

3 hours ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Plus Bernie Ecclestone wasn't exactly squeaky clean himself. Granted he gets a free pass though cos he's an old white dude from old blighty and not some horrible forrin from the middle east.

There'll be some interesting stuff come out of the woodwork when Old Bernie pops his clogs...

1 hour ago, Big River said:

it was a genuine question, to be fair. I don't follow F1 anywhere near as closely as Newcastle, so hadn't seen anything.

The point I was trying to make is every time you mention Newcastle someone has to bring up Saudi ownership / human rights. You do not get that with F1, partly because F1 is not owned by Saudi and its more about the sponsors money flowing in. IMO. 

1 hour ago, Jackie Broon said:

Fair enough if that's your personal experience, but I suppose if you're telling people you are a Newcastle fan they're much more likely to discuss it in relation to Newcastle.

It's conversations about sport in general I'm on about here in the US. But my post above probably explains that better. We're owned by PIF...F1 is not owned by PIF and has Saudi sponsors. huge difference. 

F1 has a rich and storied history of taking money from reprehensible regimes but even they’ve copped quite a bit of flack in recent years for their increasingly cosy relationship with Saudi. It’s by no means exclusive to us. 

2 hours ago, Kanji said:

The point I was trying to make is every time you mention Newcastle someone has to bring up Saudi ownership / human rights. You do not get that with F1, partly because F1 is not owned by Saudi and its more about the sponsors money flowing in. IMO. 

It's conversations about sport in general I'm on about here in the US. But my post above probably explains that better. We're owned by PIF...F1 is not owned by PIF and has Saudi sponsors. huge difference. 

Plenty of negative coverage of KSA involvement with F1 in the UK - F1 didn’t used to be particularly popular in the US, not sure if it has more visibility these days?  If it is still a minor sport that would have an impact of visibility