Backroom & executive staff

SweMag

I know absolutely nothing about him but if he knows the mechanics of carrying out a transfer then he'll come in handy. Crucial that they get this window right and his experience will help. No idea how it'll pan out but we've not got much choice but to gamble and cross our fingers, no point being negative about it, he's just walked through the door. 

Assuming the guy is competent at securing a signing, I see this move as - primarily - avoiding the total disaster that may have ensued had there been no one with the solitary focus of making transfers in January. 

Howe's focus has to be the team and Staveley/Ghodoussi are, by all accounts, totally stretched by everything else on their plate. Therefore parachuting someone in to dedicate themselves to January transfers seems sensible. No, it doesn't scream 'richest club in the world' - it just screams stopgap. Given the context I don't see a big deal in that. 

Regarding his apparently dubious track record; given the short term nature of his appointment, you wonder if we'd even be going after targets presented by him. I wouldn't be surprised, in this case, that Howe has as much (if not more) to do with identifying targets, and Hammond's just here to get the deals done. 

If he can shift all of our deadwood to the likes of Celtic and Reading he’ll be worth his weight in gold! Part of a successful January will be finding takers for our garbage. So a “Transfers Out Director” could be ideal 

7 minutes ago, greydos said:

If he can shift all of our deadwood to the likes of Celtic and Reading he’ll be worth his weight in gold! Part of a successful January will be finding takers for our garbage. So a “Transfers Out Director” could be ideal 

There’s a lot of merit to this - if we want to bring in four or five then we need to shift as many out :thup:

34 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Assuming the guy is competent at securing a signing, I see this move as - primarily - avoiding the total disaster that may have ensued had there been no one with the solitary focus of making transfers in January. 

Howe's focus has to be the team and Staveley/Ghodoussi are, by all accounts, totally stretched by everything else on their plate. Therefore parachuting someone in to dedicate themselves to January transfers seems sensible. No, it doesn't scream 'richest club in the world' - it just screams stopgap. Given the context I don't see a big deal in that. 

Regarding his apparently dubious track record; given the short term nature of his appointment, you wonder if we'd even be going after targets presented by him. I wouldn't be surprised, in this case, that Howe has as much (if not more) to do with identifying targets, and Hammond's just here to get the deals done. 

Yeah, seems more like he will be working on finalising the deals.

We essentially needed someone to come in and do what Charnley previously was responsible for I imagine.

11 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Is there any limit to how many changes we can make to the registered squad?

No idea, would have thought of it was limited then it would have been mentioned at least once in all the coverage of our first post-takeover window :icon_scratch:

5 minutes ago, Raconteur said:

No idea, would have thought of it was limited then it would have been mentioned at least once in all the coverage of our first post-takeover window :icon_scratch:

I have a vague memory of something being applicable at some time, but not at all sure what it was.

1 minute ago, Happinesstan said:

I have a vague memory of something being applicable at some time, but not at all sure what it was.

In FM you can only make three changes to your European squads after the January window, that’s all I can think of…?

Edited by Raconteur

41 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

That doesn’t sound too promising. Before people jump down my throat this is just an observation. Football is full of fast talking blaggers who can convince non football people that they are experts in a given area. It’s mind blowing some of the people who work in it. I’m very much hoping this guy is not one of them 

If he is indeed mates with Pardew then there is something suspect about him for sure but it’s only short term. How bad can he be??! 

Honestly, it’s another one of those ‘idiots with KSA flags on their Twitter handle are in for a rude awakening’ moments for me

This isn’t a Man City / PSG style takeover - it’s been whipped up by the press and Staveley, despite the fact that she seemingly can’t shite without ringing up a reporter, isn’t in a hurry to correct them

They’ll need all the help they can get to be fair, as the incompetence of the KSA govt (who are obviously the owners) will quickly become apparent.  And brown noses in the press will talk about ‘process’, as if decisions are made in KSA involving detailed discussion and thought-provoking arguments before a consensus is reached.  Incompetence masquerading as due diligence

4 minutes ago, LV said:

If he is indeed mates with Pardew then there is something suspect about him for sure but it’s only short term. How bad can he be??! 

He’s in the strychnine family of poisons. There is no safe amount of Pardew.