The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

3 hours ago, geordiesteve710 said:

Having a Maradona Cup without Napoli is stupid anyway.

Wonder if they were invited and turned it down or they weren't a big enough "brand" to be invited.

Napoli and Boca or don’t bother imo

25 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Well pre takeover we wouldn’t have had a ton of Arabic comments denouncing a tweet about a footballer coming out, would we? Twitter doesn’t exist in a vacuum, it’s still real people.

Except when it isn't real people.

I hate exceptionalism in all it's forms personally, football and otherwise.  But with specific reference to football the only exception are the "big 6" or whatever that are treated differently from everyone in the media. 

We're not some special case.  The contrast between Bruce & OGS mere days apart was an absolute joke but it's not because we're Newcastle, it's because we're not part of the group they want to succeed or who they deem worthy of success.  Could equally have been Brighton or anyone.

Edited by mrmojorisin75

Whinging about being hated by other fans put into the context of the reasons why everyone rightly hates the Saudi owners just makes it come across as monumentally crass like. 

We didn't get a say in any of it, leave it at that. No one is going to, or should want to hear 'how it feels to be hated' for supporting Newcastle. 

Edited by kisearch

2 minutes ago, kisearch said:

FWIW I think the treatment of Newcastle fans has been unbelievably kind throughout this. 

I wouldn't necessarily say that but the reaction portrayed in that article is just a million fucking miles away from being the right way to respond. 

It’s nothing to do with the fans either way really, we don’t gain any prestige and we shouldn’t attract any extra criticism. We just have new owners, which we have no choice about. 

I don’t get the sense that everybody hates us at all, not very helpful to stir up this issue. 

Ah well. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

I wouldn't necessarily say that but the reaction portrayed in that article is just a million fucking miles away from being the right way to respond. 

Agreed - that article doesn't read well at all, but I don't think it's true to say that NUFC fans have been treated brilliantly to be honest.