Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

2 minutes ago, wiseman said:

As great as Howe has been, I can see it going to Moyes or even Conte this year over him, purely because they'll say we've spent money. Even if it is for the first time in years.

Yes but the money doesn’t make the team gel and work as a unit to produce the goods.

11 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

Yes but the money doesn’t make the team gel and work as a unit to produce the goods.

Not at all, it's a cheap excuse not to give it to him, but I can see them making it to avoid providing recognition to him

23 minutes ago, wiseman said:

Not at all, it's a cheap excuse not to give it to him, but I can see them making it to avoid providing recognition to him

?? At some point they (Premier league) will have to if not already realise there is a well oiled, monied machine juggernaut of a club just gaining a little speed and momentum and they’ll have to jump aboard and embrace their beautiful nemesis that is Newcastle United :indi:

As much as I dislike him Thomas Frank should be favourite alongside Klopp with the winner depending on who wins the league.

OGS too, to keep Man Utd in the top half despite only spending 60p was some effort from the serial Tippeligaen hero.

Would love to know exactly what he learned during his time off, especially from Simeone. My main worry when he came in was that we'd be too expansive and open, but with a couple of exceptions (Leicester and Spurs away) we've been almost Rafa levels of defensively organised with the added bonus of always looking like we want to attack and win.

15 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Would love to know exactly what he learned during his time off, especially from Simeone. My main worry when he came in was that we'd be too expansive and open, but with a couple of exceptions (Leicester and Spurs away) we've been almost Rafa levels of defensively organised with the added bonus of always looking like we want to attack and win.

It's the biggest reason I've got a lot of hope he's the man to grow with the club as we aim to break in to Europe. He not only wants to improve, but has proven he's willing to put in the miles (literally, in some cases) and that it has appeared to bear fruit already.

I wasn't disappointed in his hiring by any means, and said I'd have been happy with him from the start. But I never expected it would turn out to feel like such a perfect match. :smitten:

For me it's not just about how he's come in and changed the side completely, injected some disciplin, confidence and knowledge into the team, but also fits perfectly in with the ethos of the whole experience, seamlessly linking players, owners and fans. There's a togetherness that hasn't been there for 20 years, possibly ever. Seriously getting turned down by other managers was the best thing that could have ever happened to us. 

Some really interesting (and some obvious) stuff from his press conference:

He once again covered that we're not playing the style he would like, but we're playing to get results.

He also said he's aware that he can't change things too quickly and any changes will be transitional.

He thinks that one of our biggest threats is the counter attack.

He's bringing in a nutritionist (I'm amazed, but unsurprised we don't have one already).

He also wants to educate the players regarding sleep.

Personality and character is the most important thing for him going into the summer window. He also said that he'll be looking at players with how he wants to play in mind.

Did he play a more traditional 442 with wingers at Bournemouth?

I’d love to see us implement that style of play. It was clear on Sunday we lack any real threat down the wing (in a traditional sense). Maxi clearly isn’t a winger though he does tend to pick the ball up around that wing. 

1 minute ago, WillingtonMag said:

Love watching his pre match press conferences haven't missed one since he came to the club. Went from wanting to dive through the TV and assault Steve Bruce to wanting to hear every word our manager has to say.

Was going to reply with "chalk and cheese" and then had a mental image of Eddie with chalk in his hand next to a blackboard covered in tactics while Bruce stood there with melted cheese all over his chins

38 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

He did aye. Like a hybrid 4-4-2/4-4-1-1. Think that’s his preferred formation. Obvs way more nuanced than that but he did go study Atleti and they love that formation 

if we sign a center forward who’s good in the air then sure I’d be for having traditional wingers - but in Trippier we have a fantastic delivery from wide on the right - would like to see the person ahead of him be more about goals from wide then just whipping in crosses too. 

I say that to you knowing you’ll school me in what I just said ha!

57 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

He did aye. Like a hybrid 4-4-2/4-4-1-1. Think that’s his preferred formation. Obvs way more nuanced than that but he did go study Atleti and they love that formation 

Yup. I’m sure this summer we’ll be looking at an upgraded Josh King type to play behind the main striker; I think he sees Joelinton as that but, despite having everything else, we all know he lacks the goals for that kind of role. Someone like Angel Corea would be perfect, however unrealistic that may be.

Edited by McCormick