Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Conducts himself with class, speaks well and our team finally has a distinct identity. So far I’ve been quite impressed with him; whether or not he’s the guy to push us into the higher echelons is up for debate but he’s moving us in the right direction (recent results notwithstanding).

Just now, McCormick said:

Conducts himself with class, speaks well and our team finally has a distinct identity. So far I’ve been quite impressed with him; whether or not he’s the guy to push us into the higher echelons is up for debate but he’s moving us in the right direction (recent results notwithstanding).

For me though this is why I'm excited for next season assuming we stay up. CBA to find my post but I said a few weeks ago that this is cause to be looking forward to the summer and next season; no disrespect meant to Bournemouth or Burnley but we're the biggest club he's managed so far in his career and he's never had this kind of money to work with before. Sunday aside, he's done quite well tactically against the bigger sides and we've not reaped as much rewards from those games as we should've done which suggests to me he's up to it for the bigger games against the better teams and managers; when he we have better players on the park we'll be a proper test for any side. It's a great challenge for him as a manager and it'll be a great ride for us as fans.

It's all about the recruitment and getting 2-3 transformational signings that move us up a level each season. With Bellamy and Robert, SBR moved us from being a side who finished 11th two seasons running to being a top 4 side. The signings of Allison and Van Dijk changed Liverpool from being a side battling it out for the top 4 to being neck and neck with Man City. Team building and those 1 or 2 signings each year will determine how we move forward as I have no qualms about Howe tactically (Sunday aside obviously but given the job he's done so far he's well within his rights to get it wrong every now and then).

Guest HTT II
21 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

For me though this is why I'm excited for next season assuming we stay up. CBA to find my post but I said a few weeks ago that this is cause to be looking forward to the summer and next season; no disrespect meant to Bournemouth or Burnley but we're the biggest club he's managed so far in his career and he's never had this kind of money to work with before. Sunday aside, he's done quite well tactically against the bigger sides and we've not reaped as much rewards from those games as we should've done which suggests to me he's up to it for the bigger games against the better teams and managers; when he we have better players on the park we'll be a proper test for any side. It's a great challenge for him as a manager and it'll be a great ride for us as fans.

It's all about the recruitment and getting 2-3 transformational signings that move us up a level each season. With Bellamy and Robert, SBR moved us from being a side who finished 11th two seasons running to being a top 4 side. The signings of Allison and Van Dijk changed Liverpool from being a side battling it out for the top 4 to being neck and neck with Man City. Team building and those 1 or 2 signings each year will determine how we move forward as I have no qualms about Howe tactically (Sunday aside obviously but given the job he's done so far he's well within his rights to get it wrong every now and then).

I honestly don’t think the gap from where we are now is huge to say where Spurs are, a few key signings can bridge that gap as it did for us under Sir Bobby with Bellamy and Robert. Admittedly we had a great spine to the team then and we lack that currently, but big progress can still be made with some key players signed. A proper defensive midfielder, an attacking wide right winger and a top-class centre-forward alone would transform this team overnight. Howe has already transformed the fitness, the spirit, the leadership within the squad and made us very hard to beat, last weekend aside. I’m highly optimistic of our future under Howe and can’t wait for next season, even if we go down, he’s the man to lead us into this new era.

Big test for him tonight. Needs to get everything right. Not arsed about the result as much as his performance. If he starts a shit team, gets his tactics wrong or fucks up his subs then pressure is on him for the next few games. If he gets it right and we are unlucky, robbed or wolves are just better on the night then we can take something away and build on it again. 

2 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Big test for him tonight. Needs to get everything right. Not arsed about the result as much as his performance. If he starts a shit team, gets his tactics wrong or fucks up his subs then pressure is on him for the next few games. If he gets it right and we are unlucky, robbed or wolves are just better on the night then we can take something away and build on it again. 

I'd always like to see Howe get it right, but if we're piling on the pressure after 135 minutes of football, it says more about us as a fanbase, than him as a manager.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I'd always like to see Howe get it right, but if we're piling on the pressure after 135 minutes of football, it says more about us as a fanbase, than him as a manager.

These are the games where you can make fair judgement on him as a match day manager. Not just inheriting a losing team. Not games where we are totally outclassed in quality and games where there isn't imminent doom of relegation. 

The pressure will build as we grow. He needs to handle it. This was always my concern with him. Luckily he gets it wrong it won't be the end of the world, but that pressure builds again and again as all the hard work is undone. Lets see how he reacts. Whatever happens, even a total collapse and survival on the last day of the season, I'd still want him here. 

On 05/04/2022 at 16:56, Mike said:

:lol: At some point we're gonna have to acknowledge that we're the fucking problem.

Couple of months ago we were all "Isn't it weird that Everton fans are obsessed with us and we don't even think of them"
Can't go two posts on here now without someone posting about how they hope they go down.

Also we've done like 8 pages in a day and a half on Sunderland and half the comments are about how obsessed they are with us. 

We're absolutely blind [emoji38]

I think the Everton thing is partly a response to the poisonous drivel being spouted by them on that GOT forum when the takeover went through, malicious as it was not just about the club but the people and the city

13 minutes ago, Papavasiliou said:

Couple of months ago we were all "Isn't it weird that Everton fans are obsessed with us and we don't even think of them"
Can't go two posts on here now without someone posting about how they hope they go down.

Also we've done like 8 pages in a day and a half on Sunderland and half the comments are about how obsessed they are with us. 

We're absolutely blind [emoji38]

:serious:

Not sure if serious? 😂

Were hovering over a relegation battle that were a couple of bad results away of bring right in it again and everton are one of the teams which could go down. People are always going to have a favourite for this type of thing, it's usually the one with the most significance and that is everton in this case. They go down its going to be very much deserved club changing and great viewing for everyone else. 

You go on any other forum and see who everyone wants down, it'll be them unless a team has a rivalry. That's what happens when clubs like everton or ourselves end up in that position. Everyone wants to pile on and add to the misery.

1 minute ago, Disco said:

Job more or less done with 7 games to spare. To quote a certain P. Reid “the boy done good”.

Can you imagine thinking that we'd be in this position at the start of January? Madness. It's been an incredible effort from everyone. 

Just now, Joey Linton said:

Can you imagine thinking that we'd be in this position at the start of January? Madness. It's been an incredible effort from everyone. 

Not at all. Bloke is an absolute credit to the club no matter what happens from here IMO. Keeping us in the league is absolutely massive in the wider scheme of things.