Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Some really interesting (and some obvious) stuff from his press conference:

He once again covered that we're not playing the style he would like, but we're playing to get results.

He also said he's aware that he can't change things too quickly and any changes will be transitional.

He thinks that one of our biggest threats is the counter attack.

He's bringing in a nutritionist (I'm amazed, but unsurprised we don't have one already).

He also wants to educate the players regarding sleep.

Personality and character is the most important thing for him going into the summer window. He also said that he'll be looking at players with how he wants to play in mind.

Did he play a more traditional 442 with wingers at Bournemouth?

I’d love to see us implement that style of play. It was clear on Sunday we lack any real threat down the wing (in a traditional sense). Maxi clearly isn’t a winger though he does tend to pick the ball up around that wing. 

1 minute ago, WillingtonMag said:

Love watching his pre match press conferences haven't missed one since he came to the club. Went from wanting to dive through the TV and assault Steve Bruce to wanting to hear every word our manager has to say.

Was going to reply with "chalk and cheese" and then had a mental image of Eddie with chalk in his hand next to a blackboard covered in tactics while Bruce stood there with melted cheese all over his chins

38 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

He did aye. Like a hybrid 4-4-2/4-4-1-1. Think that’s his preferred formation. Obvs way more nuanced than that but he did go study Atleti and they love that formation 

if we sign a center forward who’s good in the air then sure I’d be for having traditional wingers - but in Trippier we have a fantastic delivery from wide on the right - would like to see the person ahead of him be more about goals from wide then just whipping in crosses too. 

I say that to you knowing you’ll school me in what I just said ha!

57 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

He did aye. Like a hybrid 4-4-2/4-4-1-1. Think that’s his preferred formation. Obvs way more nuanced than that but he did go study Atleti and they love that formation 

Yup. I’m sure this summer we’ll be looking at an upgraded Josh King type to play behind the main striker; I think he sees Joelinton as that but, despite having everything else, we all know he lacks the goals for that kind of role. Someone like Angel Corea would be perfect, however unrealistic that may be.

Edited by McCormick

I've watched every single video/interview/match that Howe has done here and that one for Crystal Palace is by far the most relaxed and at ease with questions that he has looked. Was more than happy to have a joke with the guys in the room and genuinely seemed far more comfortable.

I think obviously this has alot to do with the results and the league table but it does seems he's more settled in his role now, which can only be a good thing.

3 hours ago, frankpingel said:

I realise it's a bit fanciful but hearing Howe say he's looking at any potential signings character is exactly what I want to hear. May be more difficult in practice but at least it's a consideration.

Hopefully we can have the right people in place so that we can make sure we are only brining in players with great character.

I feel like that's something Man City and Liverpool have really focused on when you look at their recruitment over the last few years. 

Can't think of many players they have brought in recently with poor character... except Benjamin Mendy. 

Then you look at Manures recruitment in the same period and you can tell they haven't given character any thought at all. 

39 minutes ago, Joey47 said:

Hopefully we can have the right people in place so that we can make sure we are only brining in players with great character.

I feel like that's something Man City and Liverpool have really focused on when you look at their recruitment over the last few years. 

Can't think of many players they have brought in recently with poor character... except Benjamin Mendy. 

Then you look at Manures recruitment in the same period and you can tell they haven't given character any thought at all. 

I think the characters they bring in are fine - it's something about that club in particular its currrent culture. Nobody goes to Man Utd and becomes a better player.

Di Maria

Sanchez

Schweinsteiger

Matic

Ronaldo

Cavani

Varane

All had solid reputations as professionals before joining Man Utd. Different era's - it's the club itself. These are all proven winners - multiple times in multiple countries/competitions. If Thiago Silva joined Manchester United he would have flopped.

9 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I think the characters they bring in are fine - it's something about that club in particular its currrent culture. Nobody goes to Man Utd and becomes a better player.

Di Maria

Sanchez

Schweinsteiger

Matic

Ronaldo

Cavani

Varane

All had solid reputations as professionals before joining Man Utd. Different era's - it's the club itself. These are all proven winners - multiple times in multiple countries/competitions. If Thiago Silva joined Manchester United he would have flopped.

Good point, maybe it's also to do with how these characters gel together as well. In the same way a team needs the right physical attributes in different positions, a team also needs a right balance of characters and personalities throughout. 

But also I think everyone would agree that man u has a pretty rotten culture top to bottom. 

8 minutes ago, Mike said:

Fuck me we had 5 points.

Think Jones deserves a bit of credit. People forget that we had basically written off the games against Palace and certainly Brighton, who were going great at the time

15 minutes ago, Mike said:

Fuck me we had 5 points.

Seems like a lifetime ago tbh, Howe actually talks like a manager, Bruce looks like he should be playing darts. Unprofessionally.

7 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Think Jones deserves a bit of credit. People forget that we had basically written off the games against Palace and certainly Brighton, who were going great at the time

They were two pretty good points when you look back. The other game was Chelsea wasn’t it?