Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

46 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Hard me to see a manager of the year in Pep or Klopp - with the talent at their disposal they aren't doing anything extra special. 

If Klopp gets the quadruple it’s pretty extra special mind. 

1 hour ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

Has there been any chatter or press about how much of an astonishing job this bloke has done outside of the north east press pack?

I feel like I've seen nothing even on soccer Saturday etc... that's really had much to say about him and the work he's done.

The only time I can remember a team at the bottom going on an extended run of CL level form is Leicester under Pearson in the season before they won the league. They finished that year with 22 points in the last ten games. We've just gone P19 W10 D3 L6 for 33 points, equal with Chelsea under Tuchel, one point fewer than Arsenal, and two fewer than Spurs under Conte. They are all CL contenders, so our form must be CL level form over what is now half a season. We'll get some attention next week, but only because we're playing Liverpool and City and may throw a spanner in the title race.

While it would be nice to see Howe getting more credit, it is also beneficial to fly under the radar and keep the expectations and pressure low. Our people did a good enough job to sign Tripper and Bruno when we were staring at relegation, and it's tempting to think that any player who wouldn't join us now due to insufficient media recognition of Howe's ability probably hasn't got the right mentality anyway.

2 hours ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

Has there been any chatter or press about how much of an astonishing job this bloke has done outside of the north east press pack?

I feel like I've seen nothing even on soccer Saturday etc... that's really had much to say about him and the work he's done.

I get the feeling a lot of his good work gets brushed over because there's this conception that he bought his way out of trouble by spending £100m in the transfer market in January. Obviously it ignores that we lost our two best players since then, but that's not of any interest to those who don't want to know.

Shelvey on Howe/club:

"Everyone at the club is pulling in the one direction - the camaraderie around the place is something I’ve not seen before.”

“I’ve never had a manager like this before. The first thing he did was hand everyone a sheet of paper to write down their wives’ & kids’ names, plus all our birthdays."

"He wants to know everything about everyone. I’m glad I’m his cup of tea & want to do everything to repay him.”

"But at Newcastle the ones not playing are in training the next day while the others recover - they’re probably fitter than those who have played the previous day.”

God damn I love being a Newcastle fan again, and Howe is a huge part of that. I hope Wor Flags honor the fuck out of him at the final home game of the season.

5 hours ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

Athletic football podcast on Monday was saying he should be in the discussion for MOTY.

15 minutes ago, Disco said:

Athletic football podcast on Monday was saying he should be in the discussion for MOTY.

Should be easy pick, what he has done for us is incredible. Statistically we were in place which nobody else has survived before and we are now 11th one point off 9th.

I wanted to bring to statistics back because when it comes to previous years and all the history, we were in horrible place half way to this season (which nobody has survived before). Obviously this season is bit different (which was pointed to me earlier with respect), but still. This is HUGE. Massive.

It’s almost impossible to believe we are still playing the same season we started with Bruce and Ashley. Absolutely mind-blowing!

Edited by Elephant

8 hours ago, LFEE said:

Who was your first choice out of interest? I can’t recall who you said at the time.

Gerrard. After a good start, things seem to have gone right off the rails at Villa, but it's a bit early to judge. He seemed to have determination, and might also have been able to attract players to sign for us.

I also thought Martinez, with his connections with the Continent and his Premiership experience would be a good choice too. 

Thinking back, I also wasn't sure that Howe, with his style of attacking football, would be able to get our squad to perform the way he wanted. I thought our defensive football, dull as it was, was the best way of getting points with the players we had. But not only has Howe got us more points, we're actually a lot easier on the eye. He's got us playing in, and believing in, a more positive style.

He's made some ballsy decisions like dropping Lascelles, sticking Joelinton in a midfield 3, and keeping faith with Willock when the pressure to stick the £40m man in as soon as possible would be huge. 

I wouldn't swap our man for anyone, and I mean anyone.

2 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Gerrard. After a good start, things seem to have gone right off the rails at Villa, but it's a bit early to judge. He seemed to have determination, and might also have been able to attract players to sign for us.

I also thought Martinez, with his connections with the Continent and his Premiership experience would be a good choice too. 

Thinking back, I also wasn't sure that Howe, with his style of attacking football, would be able to get our squad to perform the way he wanted. I thought our defensive football, dull as it was, was the best way of getting points with the players we had. But not only has Howe got us more points, we're actually a lot easier on the eye. He's got us playing in, and believing in, a more positive style.

He's made some ballsy decisions like dropping Lascelles, sticking Joelinton in a midfield 3, and keeping faith with Willock when the pressure to stick the £40m man in as soon as possible would be huge. 

I wouldn't swap our man for anyone, and I mean anyone.

I wanted Howe from day 1.  So pleased we got him and dodged the Unai Emery bullet.

2 minutes ago, Rod said:

I wanted Howe from day 1.  So pleased we got him and dodged the Unai Emery bullet.

I was keener on Emery at the time, and I think he could have done a decent job, but I felt he showed a lack of decisiveness when he stumbled at the final hurdle. Howe grabbed it with both hands, and by doing so showed he was the one with the balls for a job like this.

I had a slight moment of uncertainty after Cambridge but by and large you could see the improvements being made in almost every other game around that time, and hence my confidence we'd stay up all along.

Every single one of the signings have been massive for us (That's right, Wood included) and his management of all of the players but particularly Bruno, Shelvey, Joelinton, Maximin and Miggy has been top drawer.

A good man manager. A humble, eager to learn manager. A manager who values the team, not just on the pitch but in the dressing room, and who gets the fans.

Love it me. 

22 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I always thought Emery was the better shorter term option but long term his style of football wouldn’t have been accepted. 

Christ,  I was so gutted about Emery turning us down after 24 hours of it looking on that I struggled massive to have confidence in Howe. On paper he was a talented young manager, but last thing in his CV was a relegation and some poor spending that I just couldn't shift from thought. That aside, I liked him, really impressed how he talked and he seemed a almost Rafa-esque obsessive to detail but with attacking intent over Rafa's more compact defence style. As time went on I believed in Howe but felt wrong moment and wrong players, thinking January was too late to turn this around.

Well, what a ride he's taken us on. We aren't smashing teams like a top 4 do, but some of that first half football against Palace was inconceivable in 2021. The way we've grinded out disciplined results, or snatched away points and wins etc. on top of good home form. We are getting better, and the tune he's got out of Joelinton and Shelvey, who were dead to me last year, are now players I am proud of playing for us. Absolute incredible person Howe - I fully get him and love him now. I really think he has a shot with big money to really upset the top 4 lot. And not in a one off Leicester way. Add better players and next season could be shock to the division.

1 minute ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Ipswich in 00-01 were fantastic

Was it Marcus Stewart that randomly become one of top strikers in Prem for a seaon or under them that season? Think James Beattie once had a large goal return season for Southampton once like it too.

I wanted Fonseca but really liked Howe after hearing him talk and reading up on him. Guy has been fantastic for Newcastle. Completely changed the mindset and execution.

Goals were flying into the net every game and now there are lots of clean sheets for Newcastle. Really something.

4 minutes ago, hakka said:

Was it Marcus Stewart that randomly become one of top strikers in Prem for a seaon or under them that season? Think James Beattie once had a large goal return season for Southampton once like it too.

Aye, he used to bang em in for Huddersfield prior to Ipswich too. He was mint and I used to always buy him in Premier Manager 99. My Dad nearly got me a Huddersfield shirt with his name on. 

Glad he didn't, the mackem cunt (Stewart, not me Dad)

4 hours ago, Wild Geese said:

Can Eddie be ruthless though?

Replacing some of the current squad and moving them on, to make room in the squad for better players won’t be easy for a man who demands honesty and commitment from all involved !

I think this summer will be evolution not revolution. The worst 5 - 7 players will be replaced. The rest will stay. It's not just about recruiting a top 4 squad as fast as possible, its about creating a long term culture and mentality. I don't think the club even need to go that large on transfer fees this summer apart from Henderson. There's so many good players available for free that can establish the club in the top 10 and push for Europe. If the club could bring in players like Origi, Erikson, Lindgard and Tarkowski for free the FFP limit can stay high for the 2023/4 season.

2 hours ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

To be fair if Klopp wins the quadruple this season then I think he would deserve manager of the year. If they only win 2 then I reckon Howe should get it

“Only 2”? Klopp deserves MOTY for being utterly brilliant and getting his side back into the title fight when everybody was convinced it was done and dusted at the halfway stage. Him and Guardiola are the league’s standout managers and out Eddie has a long way to go before he’s at that level.

I didn't really feel qualified to comment, but I didn't fancy Emery in the sightest. Seemed a very dry, sterile appointment and not someone who could get the club. Just hiring by numbers.

From the candidates I'd heard about, Howe was my favourite as I'd always admired him from a distance. I think NUFC needs a manager who can bond with a club and, particularly right now, can navigate a project.  Well, that was his career story up to now.

In terms of how it's gone, I always said, judge after January. I knew there was time to rescue ourselves if we got that period right, and everything prior was essentially about preparing the players we had for then onwards. Well, they got it exceptionally right. A magnificent achievement.

The shocker was Joelinton. I couldn't see how a midfield of Shelvey and Willock could function in November. Throw Joelinton in there though, along with actual fitness training and inspiration, and it's a different story.

Edited by 80

48 minutes ago, Heron said:

I had a slight moment of uncertainty after Cambridge but by and large you could see the improvements being made in almost every other game around that time, and hence my confidence we'd stay up all along.

Every single one of the signings have been massive for us (That's right, Wood included) and his management of all of the players but particularly Bruno, Shelvey, Joelinton, Maximin and Miggy has been top drawer.

A good man manager. A humble, eager to learn manager. A manager who values the team, not just on the pitch but in the dressing room, and who gets the fans.

Love it me. 

Agreed. I was wobbling after Cambridge/Watford but he’s done an incredible job overall.