Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

On 22/08/2022 at 16:15, HTT II said:

Well, I love him me, but I wouldn’t want him here, he’s perfectly suited to international football.

Awful manager in my opinion.

9 hours ago, Holmesy said:

Classy fucker! Boring, but a proper class act

Are you confusing boring with professional?  Or should he be moonwalking into pressers and cracking bacon jokes?

42 minutes ago, RS said:

Are you confusing boring with professional?  Or should he be moonwalking into pressers and cracking bacon jokes?

In this case I think boring is excellent. I did mean it kind of tongue in cheek tbf. After enduring Pardew head butting payers, Joe Kinnear flaunting his mental instability and Steve Bruce’s emotional fragility, boring (professional) is a breath of fresh air

Presser:

ISAK

Isak deal not done, in other people's hands, hopefully available for Wolves.

Hopeful that he trains with us before Wolves game. He'll need to do that in order to be able to play. Very keen to see him and get him involved as quickly as possible.

He's had a lot thrown at him for a young player; his experiences have been incredible for someone so young. Germany, Holland, Spain, big clubs as well - he's had some great experiences. 

The English game will suit his profile; really good athlete and technically very good. 

His best years are ahead of him, we've got an exciting player.

Different and unique in their ability; he's got a mix of qualities that I really like. He has pace, technical ability, dribbling ability, a bit of X Factor and he's capable of scoring goals.

The first time I saw him play was for Sweden many years ago and I was immediately hugely impressed. 

OTHER SIGNINGS

Can understand excitement; I'm excited about trying to bring good players to Newcastle too.

Need to sit down with the club and have those discussions (re more transfers) and see what we can do next.

Would like to try and push as much as we can to improve the squad but we need to be careful in terms of finances and things like that.

Feels like it's been the longest window; my focus is always on games but naturally the TW takes a lot of energy and time away from the core part of the job, which I think is the most important. It'll be great when that distraction is gone.

But you've got to get the TW as good as you can be as your success depends on it.

When you're trying to do transfers; the selling club and the buying club; and if they don't meet a transfer doesn't happen.

Things seem to have come together for us.

FENDER AND SHEARER AT THE GROUND

Don't know what that's about. Certainly respect Sam and Alan.

DUBRAVKA

He isn't in talks with Man Utd but there's been contact between the clubs and will probably continue. In terms of a final outcome, very reluctant to lose important players, but it'll be a decision out of my hands.

Martin isn't distracted, he's trained very well, he's a good pro. Perfect in attitude and mentality and don't see why that would change.

WILSON

Don't believe Wilson injury to be serious, hopefully only out for a couple of weeks.

Wilson's injury changed our focus in terms of transfers, always looking for an attacker though.

I back Callum and his body 100%, not met a better professional. Hugely disappointed to miss any game. Huge part in our future. Don't doubt him for a second.

He doesn't dwell on negative emotions, looking forward to being back. Slight initial disappointment but focused on recovery. 

Try to manage his workload; treat the players on an individual basis. It's the way the game's gone: bespoke training plans. Treat players as individuals.

They're on their own schedules and we try to keep all players as fit as possible.

Tough season, there'll be times when every player picks up an injury - just need to minimise them.

TRANMERE

Wanted to go to Tranmere together; everyone fit came with us. Important that we respected the competition and wanted to progress. Wanted to give some players a rest and others the opportunity to show how good they are.

Tranmere showed a different type of pressure to the weekend, but players' attitude was first class.

I'll take winning ugly as long as we win well. The whole reason we're in this business is to win matches so that's the first aim, and then how you win becomes very important to us as well.

TROPHY WINNING

It's a target for us. Not saying any more than that at this stage; so early in the competition. Got through a difficult game and we've a difficult one ahead of us.

Focused on Premier League at the moment but we'll enjoy the next round when it comes along.

INJURIES

Got a worry over Emil Krafth, don't know the detail, going for a scan today. Doesn't look too good but until we get scan results we don't know.

It's a knee problem, don't know the specifics of the problem.

Hope Dan and Ryan to be available. Lascelles should be fine too.

Shelvey doing well; pushing his safe boundaries we've given him. Training is his life and he's keen to get back as soon as possible.

WOLVES

Very early to draw too many conclusion from anything at this stage. They're an outstanding team and have recruited very well. Lots of quality in midfield, three or four very good technicians, and very good attacking players. Bruno has done a great job there, they're very fluid and play different systems.

Want to build on the three games we've had. We've had some good aspects of our performance, want to put them together for a complete performance and result.

As long as the players give everything they can, I'll take that as a starting point.

ASM

(re consistency) With any player, the responsibility lies with him. Allan's performance last week was down to him, no one else, he was excellent in every aspect. The consistency has to come from how he lives his life, how he trains and prepares. If you're consistent during the week you'll be consistent with your performance. We need to help him and we'll continue to do so: we need to give him the right framework and the right team around him. 

CAPTAINS

They've had an eventful week. Both players led by example. No team succeeds with just one leader in the group; it's impossible for one person to execute that daily. You need a team of leaders; 6 or 7 people who discreetly lead in different ways. We've got a great group of experienced players who set an example on a daily basis.

WILSON AND ISAK

See them playing together; they're very different. I can definitely envisage that. 

They both have unique strengths.

HOPES FOR THE SEASON

My hopes for the season don't change on one signing; they're here regardless. I believe in the squad we've got. I'm staying away from numbers, my job is to improve the team.

FANS

We were very thankful for the support to travel that distance in those numbers on a Wednesday night. They made an incredible noise even when we were losing, so a huge thanks to them.

On 22/08/2022 at 14:57, Cf said:

If England do call him he'll tell them politely no. I can't speak for him of course but you don't walk away from a job like ours with the success he can have ahead of him whilst in your prime.

Do the England gig when you're near retirement or something. If you're the best English coach then it'll be available for you at some point if you want it.

Southgate isn't anywhere near the level required for a club aiming high like ours. Howe is in a completely different league to him.

Howe needs to be the English Ferguson first. When he’s sick of the monotony and shite shovelling that comes with daily management of a bus load of young men, and bored with winning umpteen successive League titles obvs, he’ll get his chance. 

38 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Howe needs to be the English Ferguson first. When he’s sick of the monotony and shite shovelling that comes with daily management of a bus load of young men, and bored with winning umpteen successive League titles obvs, he’ll get his chance. 

This

Refreshing to hear him saying he was disappointed with quite a chunk of our performance today, rather than focussing just on the positive of getting a late point. Shows how much he wants to improve

Managers often get criticised for making poor subs or not making enough subs but his changes really worked for us today

I often read other clubs' 'other games today' type threads, especially after a good result like last Sunday, and it really is surprising that while many seem to respect his accomplishments here, a lot of away fans seem to have a negative view on Eddie's character. Like today, someone on wolvesforum was saying something like "I don't like Howe, but...", and you see that sort of stuff a lot. Others on here mentioned it during the Brighton match which was dismissed as South Coast rivalry, but it definitely is something that I have generally noticed. You see 'Smug Eddie' a lot. 

Strange. I could listen to him talk about football all day.

On 26/08/2022 at 06:02, Yorkie said:

Presser:

ISAK

Isak deal not done, in other people's hands, hopefully available for Wolves.

Hopeful that he trains with us before Wolves game. He'll need to do that in order to be able to play. Very keen to see him and get him involved as quickly as possible.

He's had a lot thrown at him for a young player; his experiences have been incredible for someone so young. Germany, Holland, Spain, big clubs as well - he's had some great experiences. 

The English game will suit his profile; really good athlete and technically very good. 

His best years are ahead of him, we've got an exciting player.

Different and unique in their ability; he's got a mix of qualities that I really like. He has pace, technical ability, dribbling ability, a bit of X Factor and he's capable of scoring goals.

The first time I saw him play was for Sweden many years ago and I was immediately hugely impressed. 

OTHER SIGNINGS

Can understand excitement; I'm excited about trying to bring good players to Newcastle too.

Need to sit down with the club and have those discussions (re more transfers) and see what we can do next.

Would like to try and push as much as we can to improve the squad but we need to be careful in terms of finances and things like that.

Feels like it's been the longest window; my focus is always on games but naturally the TW takes a lot of energy and time away from the core part of the job, which I think is the most important. It'll be great when that distraction is gone.

But you've got to get the TW as good as you can be as your success depends on it.

When you're trying to do transfers; the selling club and the buying club; and if they don't meet a transfer doesn't happen.

Things seem to have come together for us.

FENDER AND SHEARER AT THE GROUND

Don't know what that's about. Certainly respect Sam and Alan.

DUBRAVKA

He isn't in talks with Man Utd but there's been contact between the clubs and will probably continue. In terms of a final outcome, very reluctant to lose important players, but it'll be a decision out of my hands.

Martin isn't distracted, he's trained very well, he's a good pro. Perfect in attitude and mentality and don't see why that would change.

WILSON

Don't believe Wilson injury to be serious, hopefully only out for a couple of weeks.

Wilson's injury changed our focus in terms of transfers, always looking for an attacker though.

I back Callum and his body 100%, not met a better professional. Hugely disappointed to miss any game. Huge part in our future. Don't doubt him for a second.

He doesn't dwell on negative emotions, looking forward to being back. Slight initial disappointment but focused on recovery. 

Try to manage his workload; treat the players on an individual basis. It's the way the game's gone: bespoke training plans. Treat players as individuals.

They're on their own schedules and we try to keep all players as fit as possible.

Tough season, there'll be times when every player picks up an injury - just need to minimise them.

TRANMERE

Wanted to go to Tranmere together; everyone fit came with us. Important that we respected the competition and wanted to progress. Wanted to give some players a rest and others the opportunity to show how good they are.

Tranmere showed a different type of pressure to the weekend, but players' attitude was first class.

I'll take winning ugly as long as we win well. The whole reason we're in this business is to win matches so that's the first aim, and then how you win becomes very important to us as well.

TROPHY WINNING

It's a target for us. Not saying any more than that at this stage; so early in the competition. Got through a difficult game and we've a difficult one ahead of us.

Focused on Premier League at the moment but we'll enjoy the next round when it comes along.

INJURIES

Got a worry over Emil Krafth, don't know the detail, going for a scan today. Doesn't look too good but until we get scan results we don't know.

It's a knee problem, don't know the specifics of the problem.

Hope Dan and Ryan to be available. Lascelles should be fine too.

Shelvey doing well; pushing his safe boundaries we've given him. Training is his life and he's keen to get back as soon as possible.

WOLVES

Very early to draw too many conclusion from anything at this stage. They're an outstanding team and have recruited very well. Lots of quality in midfield, three or four very good technicians, and very good attacking players. Bruno has done a great job there, they're very fluid and play different systems.

Want to build on the three games we've had. We've had some good aspects of our performance, want to put them together for a complete performance and result.

As long as the players give everything they can, I'll take that as a starting point.

ASM

(re consistency) With any player, the responsibility lies with him. Allan's performance last week was down to him, no one else, he was excellent in every aspect. The consistency has to come from how he lives his life, how he trains and prepares. If you're consistent during the week you'll be consistent with your performance. We need to help him and we'll continue to do so: we need to give him the right framework and the right team around him. 

CAPTAINS

They've had an eventful week. Both players led by example. No team succeeds with just one leader in the group; it's impossible for one person to execute that daily. You need a team of leaders; 6 or 7 people who discreetly lead in different ways. We've got a great group of experienced players who set an example on a daily basis.

WILSON AND ISAK

See them playing together; they're very different. I can definitely envisage that. 

They both have unique strengths.

HOPES FOR THE SEASON

My hopes for the season don't change on one signing; they're here regardless. I believe in the squad we've got. I'm staying away from numbers, my job is to improve the team.

FANS

We were very thankful for the support to travel that distance in those numbers on a Wednesday night. They made an incredible noise even when we were losing, so a huge thanks to them.

Really appreciate these write ups, for some reason my two year old doesn't want to sit and watch the pressers so these have been great to read, thank you for taking the time!

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

So whats with all the injuries?

Is Howe pushing the players too hard and too early?

For me, it’s down to how little they’ve been pushed under Bruce and are now feeling the constraints of that under a much more professional training and fitness regime, I’m sure we had it initially with Rafa, we will be OK over the course of the season I’m sure, hopefully.

Edited by HTT II

1 minute ago, Lazarus said:

So whats with all the injuries?

Is Howe pushing the players too hard and too early?

Krafth was hacked, Wilson is a perma-crock, Bruno had a knock and Trippier pushes himself to hard sometimes, I don't think Howe can be blamed for that.

Also, we don’t have a squad do we? Not a squad that means we can routinely take off our best players at 70-80 mins, partly because we’re not in as commanding a place in games and partly because the substitutes are generally a major level below. If we could do that we’d have less niggling injuries 

I really like Eddie Howe. 
I always worry a bit when coaches rely on a team outrunning the opposition as a main route to victory.

I don’t think that’s Eddie’s agenda his year tbh, I think it was last year. It’s clear he wants to have more possession which does make our opponents have to work more.

I think that will be key to our injury situation.

The high intensity press is a great way to put our opponents under real pressure and hopefully cause major problems in transition.

But I think games like Man City will have taken its toll on our squad. We put in a tremendous amount of work in that game.

Ideally we’d have a squad depth that could’ve meant we could do that again for Liverpool but we’re gonna need something else for that game. 

1 minute ago, Ben said:

Krafth was hacked, Wilson is a perma-crock, Bruno had a knock and Trippier pushes himself to hard sometimes, I don't think Howe can be blamed for that.

Bringing Bruno on against a horde of cloven hoofed wankers probably wasn't the best idea but we would all be complaining if we hadn't progressed.  We need more players, it's a simple as that.  We have an outstanding first team and then maybe a few that provide a decent enough performance when called upon but that's when everyone is fit.