Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Listened to almost the entire podcast and wow, Howe comes across as an insanely driven, hyper-professional, super-detailed leader. You can begin to understand why he's had the effect he has on our club when you listen to him. He focuses on the positive aspects of players, gets to know them personally, gets them to invest in each other and truly care, and is a wonderful technical coach on top of that.

He could stand to work a little less, I'm sure, for his family life but he doesn't seem to mind a skewed work/home balance. 

It was a tremendous listen. We could not ask for a better person to be our manager. 

Listening to the bit about his interview for the job, and him saying how he would develop players and improve them. 

The owners must be buzzing with their choice after seeing how he has developed Joelinton, Almiron, Krafth etc 

33 minutes ago, huss9 said:

alex and steve bruce listening to this and wondering what the fuck he's on about.

laughing at him then drying their eyes with £50 notes, then switching over to the cricket world cup.

While also declining calls directed to "SB, slumlord"

Only 15 minutes in - he speaks so well and the level of introspection is so impressive, I'm really really pleased he's our manager. Someone to be proud of.

Annoyingly, the whole time there's a nagging voice in the back of my head reminding me that on the flip side cunts like Bruce phone it in for 2 decades and make a king's ransom in payoffs for actively choosing not to put any semblance of effort in. Dickhead

Let it go brother, in my lifetime supporting the club we’ve had two great managers before Howe and now we’ve got another one. In my thirty years supporting the club we’ve had far more awful managers in post than good ones. The same will be true of so many clubs, let’s just enjoy the fact we’ve got the perfect manager for our club right now and hopefully for the next decade 

5 hours ago, STM said:

I've seen enough. There's no rough patch that's going to make me think that this guy isn't the real deal.

He's class, he's ours and he's here as long as he wants the job.

It's a funny thing with Newcastle fans, they can decide in a week whether you are the right person for the job. If you aren't good enough, it's just a matter of time before it gets toxic and you get kicked into touch but my god if you get the love of the fans like Keegan, Robson, Rafa or Howe, they will back you for eternity.

Some fuckwits turned on Robson but in the main you’re right ??

54 minutes ago, Cattletrucked said:

Some fuckwits turned on Robson but in the main you’re right ??

I wanted Robson to bow out gracefully and I wanted Shepherd to ask Robson to choose his successor. The way it ended was ridiculous.

Souness for fucks sake.

23 minutes ago, STM said:

I wanted Robson to bow out gracefully and I wanted Shepherd to ask Robson to choose his successor. The way it ended was ridiculous.

Souness for fucks sake.

I agree with the graceful bit but i do think Robson would have picked someone like Bruce or some other PFM type. 

34 minutes ago, Likelylad said:

I agree with the graceful bit but i do think Robson would have picked someone like Bruce or some other PFM type. 

2004 was a big crossroads for us that we hugely fucked up at. Though Chelsea had seen Abramovich come in and change the landscape, we oft were competing with them in the table from 01-04. They got rid of Ranieri that summer and appointed Mourinho. Likewise with Liverpool, they got rid of Houllier and appointed Benitez. Man Utd and Arsenal held the other 2 top four spots.

I may be wrong but surely we had to change managers in that summer to a similar type of appointment or stick with SBR for the whole 04-05 season? Getting rid after 4 games, one of which we should've won against Spurs and another where we were robbed against Middlesbrough due to a handball, and ending up with Souness just makes it seem like an absolute mess.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

6 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

2004 was a big crossroads for us that we hugely fucked up at. Though Chelsea had seen Abramovich come in and change the landscape, we oft were competing with them in the table from 01-04. They got rid of Ranieri that summer and appointed Mourinho. Likewise with Liverpool, they got rid of Houllier and appointed Benitez. Man Utd and Arsenal held the other 2 top four spots.

I may be wrong but surely we had to change managers in that summer to a similar type of appointment or stick with SBR for the whole 04-05 season? Getting rid after 4 games, one of which we should've won against Spurs and another where we were robbed against Middlesbrough due to a handball, and ending up with Souness just makes it seem like an absolute mess.

Such a stupid thought process by Freddie too, the players are the problem, no respect so let's bring in someone hard and shouty. 

3 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Indeed but if I remember rightly. The media were heavily pushing the narrative that he couldn’t handle the likes of Bellamy Bramble & Dyer etc. Which was further ramped up by Dyer refusing to play RW. 

Also, was that the summer we only picked up Bowyer on a free or was that the season before?

Just now, Likelylad said:

Indeed but if I remember rightly. The media were heavily pushing the narrative that he couldn’t handle the likes of Bellamy Bramble & Dyer etc. Which was further ramped up by Dyer refusing to play RW. 

Also, was that the summer we only picked up Bowyer on a free or was that the season before?

We did make a few signings that summer but for various reasons none of them worked out very well. Butt, Milner, Kluivert, Carr.

Imagine if we'd got Carrick instead of Butt. 

1 minute ago, Likelylad said:

Aye that was 03/04, but a massive mistake too. 04/05 was Kluivert, Milner, then Carr instead of Miguel and Butt instead of Speed (:anguish:).

Daft really. I do think he would have gotten a tune out of us. We were notoriously slow starters under Robson. 

As above. Souness was brought in as a disciplinarian, he was shite and is still bitter about it to this day. Not sure wtf he expected after we had finished 4th, 3rd & 5th. Twat.

That podcast confirmed what I'd started to think a few months ago - that our guy is ahead of the game. He's been on his own unique journey of self-education in the arts of football management and, combined with his experience, he is now in a class of his own.