Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Just now, Rich said:
  Hide contents

"Newcastle are now unbeaten in the last eight PL games on the road, beating their longest run in that competition from the 2003/04 season (bizarrely, that sequence of seven games were all draws).

Their longest unbeaten away league sequence remains 10 games during the 1907/08 First Division, while the 2009/10 Championship season included a run of nine without defeat away from SJP."

As deflating as today was, stats like this still blow my mind. We weren't even achieving away runs like this under KK and Bobby.

Even more impressive when you consider we have played spurs, Man Utd and Arsenal in that time as well.

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Howay man he's had two windows where we added 3 first-teamers at a time. One of the windows we were going to have to balance things out a bit. Having a go at any of our transfer activity the last 14 months. Give your head a shake man. :lol:

Nonsense. You can be pleased with our business in previous transfer windows whilst also criticising the decision to leave us so thin now

47 minutes ago, 54 said:

Ah yes, not replacing a player who had played a grand sum of 0 minutes this season was a "horrendous" decision.

I'm not saying we don't need a CM, as we do, but Shelvey has had no impact on us this season, so losing him was no massive deal.

The club also clear have a policy of signing their first choice signing, and waiting for that player to become available, and not just filling the gab with someone who may be of lesser quality. We did it with Botman, did it with Gordon, and to a lesser extend did it with Isak.

It's a policy that has very much worked thus far and served us well.

It's a dreadfully poor decision to leave us so short. Maybe we need to stop waiting for our first choice to become available when we're running our players into the ground week in week out and actually have a decent squad?

Just now, Vinny Green Balls said:

Don;t think there is anything wrong in thinking that we should have probably tried harder to hold on to Shelvey this last window.

It was fine to let Shelvey go, it was not bringing in anyone which is the problem

Similar to Wood. Obviously we got Gordon but today we had one off the pace striker and nothing else

Shelvey would have played a fair amount this season if he wasn't injured imo. Losing him without a replacement was poor business. 

People were buzzing we had his wages off the books. I've just never got that way if thinking from a fans perspective. 

Personally wouldn't consider criticising him, I also refused to criticise him last January as I don't think it's warranted.

He was backed by the board in Jan 2022 and he more than repaid that, he was backed in the summer and he more than repaid that. He wasn't backed this January but not necessarily in a negative way, think the club are waiting for the summer to do their business and it makes sense to stick to your plan.

I'm confident Howe will get us going again and finish the season well.

Then it's over to the board to properly back him so he has a squad to cope with hopefully European football.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Many on this forum won’t accept any criticism or disagreement of the board. 

Exactly this. If you make any criticism you’re fickle, or an arsehole, or a closet mackem, or entitled, or divorced from reality. It’s so fucking tiresome. The board deserve criticism for a mediocre window. The players deserve some today for being shit. This place is so fucking binary at times, it’s a real bore.

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

It's a dreadfully poor decision to leave us so short. Maybe we need to stop waiting for our first choice to become available when we're running our players into the ground week in week out and actually have a decent squad?

It's not a "dreadfully poor decision", far from it, we've got the exact same midfield as we did during the first half of the season, the midfield has got us to where we are, sometimes you have to take a hit for the greater good

Personally I'd much rather us spend £50m in the summer for someone that we know will fit our system and that we have scouted thoroughly, then spend £40m now on someone that we don't know 100% about, and could be a risk.

I also believe should trust the people who have much more expertise then us, have got pretty much everything they have done so far absolutely spot on, especially in the transfer front and stop bitching at the first sign of anything regards "poor form".

We're 4th in the league in February and in our first cup final in over 20 years, but that isn't good enough apparently.

1 minute ago, 54 said:

It's not a "dreadfully poor decision", far from it, we've got the exact same midfield as we did during the first half of the season, the midfield has got us to where we are, sometimes you have to take a hit for the greater good

Exactly that's part of the problem, we've ran our 4 centre mids into the ground every game.

And now we've had a player banned for 3 games, another on the verge of a two game ban and another has pulled his hamstring

Surely you can see the frustration of not plumping up the squad when we could go for top 4 and win a trophy?

8 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Exactly this. If you make any criticism you’re fickle, or an arsehole, or a closet mackem, or entitled, or divorced from reality. It’s so fucking tiresome. The board deserve criticism for a mediocre window. The players deserve some today for being shit. This place is so fucking binary at times, it’s a real bore.

It's nothing to do with any of that, when we're having a really good season, people find it tiresome when at the first sign of any sort of hardship, people jump on here with a "I told you so" attitude, and try and act superior.

That said a forum is going to have a lot of different opinions, if you can't handle people biting back with their own views then it's not a place for you.

This place isn't like RTG, it isnt an echo chamber of people with the same thoughts, slowly wanking eachother off in a self congratulatory manner.

2 hours ago, Rich said:

As deflating as today was, stats like this still blow my mind. We weren't even achieving away runs like this under KK and Bobby.

It was also the first match in 14 that we were behind. We’re doing alright we just need a cutting edge. 

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

Exactly that's part of the problem, we've ran our 4 centre mids into the ground every game.

And now we've had a player banned for 3 games, another on the verge of a two game ban and another has pulled his hamstring

Surely you can see the frustration of not plumping up the squad when we could go for top 4 and win a trophy?

But on the flip side to that, they have a business plan, which probably says that getting top four isn't a priority this season, and that we're way ahead of schedule, so are willing to accept the hit for long term gain.

That's the decision they had to make when the offer came in for Shelvey, and they rightly stuck to their guns imo.

Context is everything as well. Let's say the second half of this season is shite, much more people will be gutted and have the exact opposite review of the season as a whole than if we started off shite then had that first half of the season we've just had as the second half.

4 minutes ago, 54 said:

It's nothing to do with any of that, when we're having a really good season, people find it tiresome when at the first sign of any sort of hardship, people jump on here with a "I told you so" attitude, and try and act superior.

That said a forum is going to have a lot of different opinions, if you can't handle people biting back with their own views then it's not a place for you.

This place isn't like RTG, it isnt an echo chamber of people with the same thoughts, slowly wanking eachother off in a self congratulatory manner.

But what is not valid about saying we played like shit today? That doesn’t mean we’re saying the season isn’t great! We’re saying today was bollocks.

4 minutes ago, 54 said:

But on the flip side to that, they have a business plan, which probably says that getting top four isn't a priority this season, and that we're way ahead of schedule, so are willing to accept the hit for long term gain.

That's the decision they had to make when the offer came in for Shelvey, and they rightly stuck to their guns imo.

If we're well ahead of the plan why not try and stay well ahead of the plan? 

I don't think many are saying Shelvey shouldn't be sold, it was that he wasn't replaced. It feels like a complete unnecessary gamble that we've such a good opportunity for a cup and strong league finish 

9 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

The "you can't criticise anything" craic is just as shite and boring. It's nigh on always 2 sides talking past each other, about other people, to people who think what they're saying is directed at them anyway.

I disagree. 

You can put together a well thought out post and someone will reply ‘do you think you know better than the board? They know more than you.’ That is the extent of their response.  

11 minutes ago, 54 said:

Personally I'd much rather us spend £50m in the summer for someone that we know will fit our system and that we have scouted thoroughly, then spend £40m now on someone that we don't know 100% about, and could be a risk.

I also believe should trust the people who have much more expertise then us, have got pretty much everything they have done so far absolutely spot on, especially in the transfer front and stop bitching at the first sign of anything regards "poor form".

We're 4th in the league in February and in our first cup final in over 20 years, but that isn't good enough apparently.

On 1st January 2023, you thought selling Shelvey and bringing in no other central midfielder would be a good idea because we have the 4 CMs playing every week?

Nobody doubts the leadership has done a great job. That doesn’t make them exempt from criticism. FSG have done wonders at Liverpool but they’ve clearly made errors.  It’s ok to say that they’ve made mistakes. Naby Keita was a poor signing. They are also guilty of neglecting short-term squad needs by waiting too long for their ideal targets. 

3 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

But what is not valid about saying we played like shit today? That doesn’t mean we’re saying the season isn’t great! We’re saying today was bollocks.

I think most people acknowledge we played shit today? Don't think anyone is disputing that, it's just some people realise over the course of season you're going to get poor runs of form and poor games.

I think the likely context around the Shelvey deal always needs to be considered as to why he left when he did and why we didnt replace him, which is always ignored. Shelvey was very seemingly offered a much better contract from Forest days before the end of the window and asked to go. At that stage we could have said No, but that maybe meant Shelvey being out of contract at the end of the year and us letting him go. But because of his service and our new nature we agreed to let him go, and we weren't able to bring anyone in in a few days obviously. I mean this isnt concrete but Im fairly sure thats how it played out, so beating the club with this no Shelvey replacement stick is a bit hard to accept.

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar