Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Can’t sleep so I’m here to get my 4am thoughts off of my mind [emoji38]

Should we qualify for the CL I think we might see a hit to both our league/cup form next season. I think a reasonable expectation is we sign 3 good first teamers in the summer, let’s assume they integrate quickly and hit the ground running in the mould of Bruno or Isak (Injury aside). Even so, the depth still wouldn’t be there to sustain a serious push in the league and the CL, on three/four competition fronts our physical output in the current system would test the best club squads in the world imo.. which leads me to the Europa league. So let’s forget the FFP/sponsorship and attracting players by finishing in the CL spots argument for a second, imo for our stage of development that isn’t vital yet. If we finish 5th/6th we’d be able to be much more flexible system wise as the group stage of the Europa is a far lesser beast than that of the CL, we’d be able to step off and adjust more often than not to retain more of our domestic form but still the added schedule of the group stages is not to be overlooked. It concerns me a bit that the standard set so far by Howe and the team is high enough that general fan expectations have significantly been raised over the last 12ish months, not to mention the owners publicly stating that we aim for the trophies to be flowing in sooner rather than later. The realist in me expects us not to perhaps struggle in the sense of the word next season but I think we’ll see rocky patches due to a huge number of games on our hands, a less than ideal level of depth for that type of campaign and an under mature squad in the aspect of European football/chasing a high end PL finish all at the same time. All I can say is I hope the fans can keep their cool should the above happen, im worried that should we hit lesser than expected runs of form or exit Europe early that the negative emotion will surface quickly and it’ll be the old ‘thanks for everything BUT’ and there will be calls for a big name (Conte, Tuchel etc) to take us to the next level. 

Perhaps Howe and his team will continue exceed my expectations as they have done so far, I thought this season would be transitional and we’d be anywhere from 10th-6th depending on the performance of the current top 6 sides.. in my own personal ideal world Howe would get the chance to build his squad for a extended period and learn with us as both club and manager adapt to heights that neither have experienced before. It’s been an amazing run so far and I want to keep enjoying watching us grow under the current set up.

Edited by Nine

It's a bit scary, but most of the sort of players we are now looking at will probably only want to move to a CL club. We're way ahead of schedule, and of course European football does place an extra burden on the players' fitness and preparation time. But it is what it is and we have to keep trying to progress.

In the event of us finishing in the top four, we'd probably have to field very weakened sides in the domestic cups.

Reasons to be cheerful are that we will have achieved top four with players like Murphy, Burn, Willock, Almiron etc, so they have shown the ability to keep us there, in theory at least. We just need more squad rotation.

And I think we will be an attractive proposition. If Eddie achieves top four with the current squad, a number of players will be looking at us, wondering what's going on, and thinking we're a good option in terms of their own individual development.

PS - Actually, I often wonder what the fuck is going on.

Edited by Cronky

7 minutes ago, Cronky said:

It's a bit scary, but most of the sort of players we are now looking at will probably only want to move to a CL club. We're way ahead of schedule, and of course European football does place an extra burden on the players' fitness and preparation time. But it is what it is and we have to keep trying to progress.

In the event of us finishing in the top four, we'd probably have to field very weakened sides in the domestic cups.

Reasons to be cheerful are that we will have achieved top four with players like Murphy, Burn, Willock, Almiron etc, so they have shown the ability to keep us there, in theory at least. We just need more squad rotation.

And I think we will be an attractive proposition. If Eddie achieves top four with the current squad, a number of players will be looking at us, wondering what's going on, and thinking we're a good option in terms of their own individual development.

PS - Actually, I often wonder what the fuck is going on.

Pretty decent bet that what’s going on is the rise of the Eddie Howe legend.

On 24/03/2023 at 07:52, TRon said:

On it :thup:

I cancelled a year ago due to job circumstances and my wife got a discounted NYT subscription. The Athletic is still hitting me with deals like "resubscribe for only $1.50 a month!"

4 minutes ago, woody said:

I cancelled a year ago due to job circumstances and my wife got a discounted NYT subscription. The Athletic is still hitting me with deals like "resubscribe for only $1.50 a month!"

Thanks for reminding me, I just unsubcribed now and they offered me a full year subscription for £9.99 if I stayed on. :lol:

Tbf they made it really easy to unsubscribe and I do appreciate that, some of these sites make you jump through hoops to opt out.

Not a Newcastle fan but I have so much respect for Eddie Howe based on his treatment of Ryan Fraser.

We all know that Fraser threw Howe under the bus at the end of Fraser's career at Bournemouth.

This is pretty much Howe getting his revenge. He couldn't have did it straight away, as he needed to prove himself to the Newcastle players first.

"Revenge is a dish best served cold".

It's exactly how Sir Alex Ferguson would've handled things.

A manager has to be able to trust a player. Fraser isn't the type of character you want to be in the Trenches with.

And as a Scotland fan, I doubt trust him. He pulled out of a squad, citing injury, then was spotted training a day later.

To be honest, I never want him to win another cap.

So yes, you have a really top class manager.

On 28/03/2023 at 17:49, woody said:

Just been offered £1 a month for a year after cancelling a while back. 

Why not. 

22 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

It was interesting to watch him talk about it in the pre-match conflab. The mask of geniality slipped a tiny bit, and you had a glimpse of the competitor beneath. He made light of it, but you could see he was a bit pissed off that his team mate didn't take it seriously enough.

He's a fascinating character. He seems genuinely caring and compassionate, but to reach the top in professional sport you need some kind of killer instinct.