Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Keegan still well ahead for me.

There's other factors of course, but just in terms of performance he saved us from relegation (and probable oblivion), won the First Division title, then finished 3rd in his first PL season, then 6th and 2nd with a genuine title challenge. 

Howe's got one save from relegation and one 4th place. It's not yet close, but I do adore him.

I'd probably have Howe above SBR though, and definitely ahead of Benitez who I'll also always love and appreciate.

2 hours ago, andycap said:

Glad he's got us playing some great stuff again. After the Milan match I was worrying like a right fanny ?. But always wanted howe to stay and now he's proving me wrong again. Well done players and staff on there hard work. 

I'll join you in the worrying like a fanny group.

43 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

There's other factors of course, but just in terms of performance he saved us from relegation (and probable oblivion), won the First Division title, then finished 3rd in his first PL season, then 6th and 2nd with a genuine title challenge. 

Howe's got one save from relegation and one 4th place. It's not yet close, but I do adore him.

I'd probably have Howe above SBR though, and definitely ahead of Benitez who I'll also always love and appreciate.

Don’t forget a Cup Final and 2 cracking results in Europes top competition.

I love the Messiah to this day, but think Howe’s showing signs of real managerial brilliance that could finally land us a trophy.

Can't forget either that players that were being run ragged by Southend and Tranmere under Ossie held their own at the top of the PL under Keegan - Pav, Elliott, Watson, Clark, Howey. The latter of whom was converted from a generic middling centre-forward even by the then standards into an England international level centre-half.

There's been the odd player that certain managers turned around  but only KK and Eddie to this extent.

Edited by Jonas

I think Howe is a much more rounded manager than Keegan but in fairness to Keegan he lived in a different era.

Keegan was old school, put together an 11 like Fergie, gave them motivation and let them crack on.

I suspect Howe would make Keegan look rather silly when it came to a conversation on tactics, psychology, diet, patterns of play etc, but then he would make quite a lot of current managers look silly in that regard.

I saw James Alcott say on his podcast the other day that he doesn't think Keegan would survive in the modern game as he's too emotional and would be very reactionary in the social media world we now live in. 

I think I kind of agree to an extent, though I think most managers from the 90s and early 2000's would be eaten alive today, just due to the tactical nature of football these days.

Today I caught myself when I was midway through the following sentence to my lass's dad: "we really should be looking to beat Dortmund at home"

I then just started laughing at 1) being able to say that at all and 2) it being a reasonable, not insane opinion.

Being in that position is down to Edward more than anything. Yes, the takeover and signings have been transformative, but we all know who it's mostly down to.

5 hours ago, Andy said:

Yeah. I think as a fanbase we have a tendency to slightly overrate Rafa as a coach/tactician. He galvanized the club and gave us a resoluteness on the pitch, but I think the love most of us feel for him probably comes from what he represented - someone who was delivering results in spite of Ashley, rather than being a croney for him. 

Howe is on a different level for me. I don't believe Rafa could have done anywhere close to the job he's done - I don't think many managers could have. Truly an incredible job he's done. 

I think Rafa is too set in his ways. Eddie is constantly evolving. 

3 hours ago, 54 said:

I saw James Alcott say on his podcast the other day that he doesn't think Keegan would survive in the modern game as he's too emotional and would be very reactionary in the social media world we now live in. 

I think I kind of agree to an extent, though I think most managers from the 90s and early 2000's would be eaten alive today, just due to the tactical nature of football these days.

on balance though a lot of the top managers now would struggle back in the 90s where players weren’t as receptive to the detail that goes into both their fitness and tactics.

3 hours ago, 54 said:

My response should perhaps be on Steak Bakes, however let me explain.  Steve Bruce was asked by a journalist if the win against Everton was because of the Christmas Tree formation he had employed (this was Jones' first game as assistant ish).  His face expressions said it all.  He looked blank and gormless and guess what his response was?  "Well you are the experts, you tell me".  Horrific man and horrendous manager.

1 hour ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

on balance though a lot of the top managers now would struggle back in the 90s where players weren’t as receptive to the detail that goes into both their fitness and tactics.

Bingo. It's wrong to try and comparisons too conclusively due to the significantly different situations. Nowadays there are HD video drones, blood tests, heart monitors, a battery of backroom staff. You can't assert that historically great managers would've just ignored all those developments if around today, and conversely, that current greats would've thrived without all their modern support.

8 hours ago, Chris_R said:

Sentimental/nostalgic memories. I think what Howe has achieved is probably harder to achieve today than what Keegan did in his time in terms of what is required 0f training and tactics. That being said, not sure Howe would be able to achieve what Keegan did in his time either. Both legends. Don't like the thought of having to rate one over the other.

Edited by Conjo