Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

34 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Hmmm. Got to agree, unfortunately. Plenty on here have heralded Howes ruthlessness, but I've not seen it so far, in fact quite the opposite. It could be his undoing, hopefully he understands that and acts. 

We've got loads of players that nobody really wants to buy which isn't his fault at all. It seems like we did try and ship Almiron off to Saudi but he wasn't having it. 

Longstaff for all the criticism he receives was a key player last season and Eddie immediately tried to upgrade him in the summer with Tonali. 

He's probably just as frustrated as most of us with the limitations he's having to work with transfer wise. 

11 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

I have no confidence at all there’s going to be a ruthless revamp this summer. 

I’m not sure what a massive revamp is tbh 

Have a load of deadwood (Dummett, Hayden, Ritchie etc that’s needs removing)

Minteh will have pre season with us 

Likely Tosin and Kelly are free transfers 

Highly likely Wilson - Miggy - Dubravka are off and need to be replaced 

We may or may not cash in on Longstaff 

33 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I don’t think this is an unreasonable take personally. Definitely lines up with my recollection of December in particular. 

I do think however at that point in time the injuries we had were unprecedented and we were running on absolute fumes. 

It’s fine to have doubts and reservations as well. I would suggest we get behind the side and see what next season brings though because no matter what we will have a more accurate gauge at that point. (If we suffer the same amount of injuries for example we have to link this our training and conditioning methods etc). 

There was an interesting point made about this on Talkshite yesterday - just someone throwing out a speculative question, which was 'could the amount of time players are standing around waiting for VAR decisions be one of the contributing factors to the huge increase in muscular injuries throughout the PL this season?'

It seems far fetched that it could be responsible for so many injuries (and i'm not sure it has any bearing on ours really) but at times players are going from running at full tilt to standing around for 3-4 minutes, to running at full tilt again, so it would interesting if someone looked at how many injuries throughout the league occurred shortly after a 4-5 minute VAR stoppage. Might be a nail in the coffin for the absolute dogshite debacle.

I will say we need to re-find our dogged shithousery. Ironically though, a number of players that many of us wouldn't be too sad to see moved down the pecking order for assorted reasons were pretty integral to that. Murphy's wumming, Lascelles's antics on the sidelines, Wilson getting under defenders' skin up top.

I still think Eddie made an active move away from it because of all the 'cracking down' that was threatened. We need to find that balance of being annoying pricks to opponents again but not shooting ourselves in the foot with the refs for it. 

I'm still optimistic for next season

if we qualify for the ECL I would expect us to be the favourites and would back Howe to go all the way 

Tonali will be like a new signing and hopefully can make a big impact - although no doubt the first few fixtures he's banned for will be something like City (a), Arsenal (h), Liverpool (a) 

ditto Willock if he stays fit 

I really hope we don't have to plays Dubravka much 

1 hour ago, r0cafella said:

Do you think all things being equal we’ve underachieved this season?

On paper/preseason expectations no doubt. With the players we’ve had on the grass, no.

4 hours ago, The Prophet said:

It's gone a bit beyond "injuries, like most clubs do" this seeaon mind.

I agree we have suffered badly at times this season but at the same time it can’t be blamed for all of our performance issues, especially when our results are generally good at home.

Dubs, Lascelles, Targett, Krafth, Longstaff, Ashby, Hayden, Almiron, Murphy.

Club needs to be ruthless and get in at least a combined £300m for the overhaul. 

1 hour ago, Mikky said:

I’m not sure what a massive revamp is tbh 

Have a load of deadwood (Dummett, Hayden, Ritchie etc that’s needs removing)

Minteh will have pre season with us 

Likely Tosin and Kelly are free transfers 

Highly likely Wilson - Miggy - Dubravka are off and need to be replaced 

We may or may not cash in on Longstaff 

1 hour ago, Mikky said:

We do all the above and we are in a pretty good position going into 2425

Fucking hell Minteh's young like but he'll be 418 by then ?

Standard caveat that I am very much in the Howe camp...  but for me the biggest challenge he or any manager has is to some how get us a proper winning mentality, the biggest consistency in my time supporting NUFC has been the inability to win must win games despite being the better side! Over the years there's been Keegan losing at Old Trafford and St. James against Man U, the 4 v 3 at Anfield Bobby cup semi final against Chelsea, Souness (I think) UEFA cup quarter final v Sporting plus no doubt lots more! 

Last season other than the cup final, I thought we were closer than ever before (I was so angry after the cup final as we never really laid a glove on them) but this year the club has reverted to type with mitigation (injuries etc.) Failing again last night hurt as did the home game against Liverpool and Chelsea away etc. same old same old....

Not sure where I'm going with this other than a rambling rant to make me feel better...

I suppose the question is do you want a win at all costs young Mourinho, Ferguson, Klopp etc. or happy for someone to grow with the club and be more of a statesman but not necessarily win like Sir Bobby?

Personally I'd always choose the later but man it is getting close... just for once I want us to get the crucial late winner, goal against the run of play etc. and just fcuking WIN    

5 minutes ago, Monters said:

Standard caveat that I am very much in the Howe camp...  but for me the biggest challenge he or any manager has is to some how get us a proper winning mentality, the biggest consistency in my time supporting NUFC has been the inability to win must win games despite being the better side! Over the years there's been Keegan losing at Old Trafford and St. James against Man U, the 4 v 3 at Anfield Bobby cup semi final against Chelsea, Souness (I think) UEFA cup quarter final v Sporting plus no doubt lots more! 

Last season other than the cup final, I thought we were closer than ever before (I was so angry after the cup final as we never really laid a glove on them) but this year the club has reverted to type with mitigation (injuries etc.) Failing again last night hurt as did the home game against Liverpool and Chelsea away etc. same old same old....

Not sure where I'm going with this other than a rambling rant to make me feel better...

I suppose the question is do you want a win at all costs young Mourinho, Ferguson, Klopp etc. or happy for someone to grow with the club and be more of a statesman but not necessarily win like Sir Bobby?

Personally I'd always choose the later but man it is getting close... just for once I want us to get the crucial late winner, goal against the run of play etc. and just fcuking WIN    

Agree we have been chokers for 50 years and still are. When there is a big game, inevitably we choke. Somehow that mentality has to change.

6 hours ago, Sibierski said:

Concerns I still have which haven’t looked like improving, is the control to our games. We just haven’t looked like this season a side that’s coached well to build up patterns of play. It’s more on fast breaks, high turnovers, which works for most part at home, but away, hasn’t, so we end up sitting off more, clipping balls long and losing possession within 3 passes if it doesn’t lead to an attack. 

Need the right signings to help improve that and evolve the side, because it’s easy to point to injuries and say it’s led to the inconsistency, but then maybe change up the play/set up a bit to mitigate? 

I agree with this. But can you even do this effectively with the team we have? There's a lot of limited players there.

I'm looking forward to getting a team with Livra/Trippier, Schar, Botman, Hall, Tonali, Bruno, Isak, Gordon, a proper RW. All of those can actually really play. At full strength Joelinton and Gordon would probably be the most limited technically. That's a world away from Krafth, Burn, Longstaff, Anderson, Murphy and Almiron getting loads of minutes.

13 minutes ago, Monters said:

I agree with some of this. But we are still building. We don't have the ability in the squad to demand a side with a "winning mentality".

"Winning mentality" is the difference between teams close in ability. And it's usually the ones with that bit more quality and a history of success that's the difference. Difference between PSG & Real Madrid.

6 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

The whole team is the defence, especially the midfield. With the likes of Longstaff and Miley playing you are always going to be easy to expose. 

And yet Eddie has shown no interest in playing anyone as an out and out defensive midfielder or purchasing one.  I can't think of a successful team that doesn't have one. Arsenal have three although obviously they don't all play at the same time.

1 hour ago, TBG said:

Dubs, Lascelles, Targett, Krafth, Longstaff, Ashby, Hayden, Almiron, Murphy.

Club needs to be ruthless and get in at least a combined £300m for the overhaul. 

WILSON 

3 hours ago, arnonel said:

image.thumb.png.b40e15903f5343d053be0c3aac544fe0.png

My one criticism of Howe is that he tends to keep players on when they are blatantly injured, Gordon and Schar particularly this season.

Howes future with us depends on what our targets are internally, I think if the goal is top 6 he will achieve that next year or be close to it, if its top 4 its going to be a struggle.

We will remain the 7th/8th biggest spenders on salaries and squad size in the league. We need to be better managed in the transfer market and training pitch than half the teams that spend more money than us to finish top 4.

That is possible. But that would be an insane expectation IMO. If we aren't in Europe & keep our stars. We should finish top 6 with the lack of European football.

If we give Europe a good go we could end up 7th/8th again through no underperformance.

I think it helps Howe massively not being in Europe next season, he’d never admit it but think Thursday and Sunday football is very difficult and can impact a season hugely if squad isn’t big enough.

In all fairness our squad is fucking massive, we are more than capable of playing 2 games week resting the best players in Conf League.

5 minutes ago, TRC said:

In all fairness our squad is fucking massive, we are more than capable of playing 2 games week resting the best players in Conf League.

In all fairness half the squad should be playing for teams like Sheff Wednesday