Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Villa are just better this season tbh, you pick results up when you're good.

We should improve when our squad gets back on it's feet but, barring an absurd run (which we are capable of tbf) we're not finishing top 4. We've had no luck at all the oast couple 9f months and it's left us with too much to do.

Our away performances started patchy last season fwiw, ironically we were also shite against Brighton and Wolves.

21 minutes ago, WideopenMag said:

100% our game management has been poor, hopefully we've learned and gained some good experience going forward. 

How many managers are going to correctly game manage 2 games a week with about 15 (arguably fit) first team players?

In another universe we beat PSG, Milan, and Chelsea, even while fucked.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

5 minutes ago, OverThere said:

What happened to the shithousery.  Did we forget???

Yeah, been too nicey nicey this season. We should have had 2 or 3 players going down with cramp late on last night to take the momentum out of Chelsea’s game.

7 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Villa are just better this season tbh, you pick results up when you're good.

We should improve when our squad gets back on it's feet but, barring an absurd run (which we are capable of tbf) we're not finishing top 4. We've had no luck at all the oast couple 9f months and it's left us with too much to do.

Our away performances started patchy last season fwiw, ironically we were also shite against Brighton and Wolves.

Villa have a better squad than Newcastle and Spurs.

Apart from Emi Martínez and Watkins, they have good cover for every other position. Serious depth in midfield.

They have a good enough squad to run well in The Conference League and compete for top 4. I'd still be looking at another ST in January if were Emery though.

34 minutes ago, Andy said:

Fair enough City. The other games we didn't give a good account of ourselves at all - Wolves away is a game we should be winning and dominating, we were lucky to get a draw. Brighton are no great shakes either this season - they have only beaten us, Brentford, Bournemouth and Luton at home. 

As others have said it's the difference between home and away form that is concerning, as it suggests there's probably a bit more to it than just the fatigue and injuries. 

The Brighton game was odd in that we actually had the better chances, imo, despite their superiority in general play. 2 very scrappy goals either side of a pinger.

Feels like in recent away games in the league that we've had plenty of the ball so, in theory, should be in decent control of the game but we're too ambitious with passing and seem to leave gaps that are vulnerable to counter.

not many clubs had better away record last season.

8-8-3 away record was quite great, we were hard to beat, only lost all season to City away, Pool away and Villa away.

we already lost 5 away from home this season (City, Brighton, Spurs, Everton, Bournemouth) and yet to go to Villa, MU, Chelsea, Pool, Arsenal..

partially explained by injury chaos and much harder schedule due to unreal CL/Carabao draws taking out lots of energy from the team last few months we knew wchedule will be a killer but our transfer window did not help us much in that regard for various reason

next 5 away PL games:

Luton

Pool

Villa

Forest

Arsenal

this is up until end of February, quite hard to imgine we get 15 points all of a sudden, would sign 9 points right now in current form 4-5 is more like realistic.

Howe will be tested tactically.

49 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

How many managers are going to correctly game manage 2 games a week with about 15 (arguably fit) first team players?

In another universe we beat PSG, Milan, and Chelsea, even while fucked.

I'm not necessarily saying it's down to the manager, AC Milan for example thought we were very naive especially Schär with his daft forward run. Then again last night Almiron not taking it to the corner in the dying minutes. We need to manage the situation better and learn to play smart. As someone mentioned above what happened to the shithousery? We seemed experts at this last season but this season it seems none existent.

1 hour ago, Shayve79 said:

Villa have a better squad than Newcastle and Spurs.

Apart from Emi Martínez and Watkins, they have good cover for every other position. Serious depth in midfield.

They have a good enough squad to run well in The Conference League and compete for top 4. I'd still be looking at another ST in January if were Emery though.

Let's see if they get 12 first team squad injuries that last 2 or 3 months.

1 hour ago, Geogaddi said:

Having watched Villa a few times this season I think you are very similar to us , excellent at home and not so great away from home , the difference is you do seem to be able to get results away from home even when you don't play that well like against Brentford , Spurs and Bournemouth .  We did the same last season but haven't been able to this season and it just shows the difference it makes.

Until the last few weeks, we had the 13th best away record, but I heard the other day it is now the 6th, which is much better, but this stuff fluctuates. We will pick up some shit results (we have already had a few) as you have, but over the course of the season both teams will be 'there or thereabouts' (which, I'll be honest, makes me feel queasy writing it, as it's a Bruce-ism).

Anyone can beat anyone in this league. It's hard to put together a linear improvement given that.

17 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

While this is true, I'm sure our normal approach to 1-0 leads isn't going to be to stop playing and park the bus. 

Circumstances have dictated that.

Totally agree - we did what we could yesterday - we could pick this and that - they scored in the 92nd minute through a howler 

We didn’t have the luxury to start with or bring on Tonali - Joe - Joe - Anderson - Isak - Barnes - Murphy - Schar 

I do think the next phase out of squad completion is to buy to ensure we can cope in the future - CB - 6 - RW - Attacker - if that bloats the squad so be it 

We certainly rode our luck at times in a couple of these, but were it not for a questionable penalty we win 1-0 in Paris and we did the job last night if not for Trippier's mistake. It would have been kind of fortunate but we might still be in the CL and we'd be back in the LC semifinal if not for those two moments. 

I think our away form is poor and also requires some additional context like the state of things heading into Bournemouth and Spurs, plus the number of late points we've dropped (which is partially fatigue / injuries and partially tactics).

2 hours ago, Orphanage said:

Until we can defend a 1-0 lead we wont be winning anything 

We could probably defend 1-0 leads if we had player we could bring on to keep the team going for 90+ mins.

28 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Just seen the main man himself in Gosforth Traders. Turning to wanky craft beer to drown his sorrows? Much to think about. 

No way is he drinking beer before 5pm. He'll be there for an espresso.

Edited by TRon

Alex Ferguson, arguably the greatest manager ever,  ended his first season at Man U in 11th position. Although ending up second in his second season he had another 11th finish in his third. 
People suggesting Howe is under pressure already with this squad, the fixtures we’ve had and the injuries we suffered, need to reflect on what could have happened if manu had decided not to play the long game  

1 hour ago, RS said:

Alex Ferguson, arguably the greatest manager ever,  ended his first season at Man U in 11th position. Although ending up second in his second season he had another 11th finish in his third. 
People suggesting Howe is under pressure already with this squad, the fixtures we’ve had and the injuries we suffered, need to reflect on what could have happened if manu had decided not to play the long game  

I remember us beating them in his first season, and we were singing Fergie on the dole during the match, and I am pretty sure their fans joined in, too.

1 hour ago, RS said:

From the end of last season...

On 23/05/2023 at 13:37, timeEd32 said:

I am definitely worried about how some supporters (and also PIF) will respond to inevitable downturns. Saw a Facebook comment on the NUFC CL post saying how this summer's priority should be Bellingham, Kane, and Rice. Expectations are going to go through the roof.

Just had a look and it's actually a bit eerie how similar Eddie's first 18 months are to SAF at Man United.

• Took over a team near the bottom of the table in November 
  • Ended up finishing 11th
  • Added a few new players (including Bruce) and they surprisingly finished 2nd in the league
    • They were never really in the title race, primarily due to too many draws

What happened next?

• A big signing (Mark Hughes) and big expectations, but they regressed to 11th
  • In the third full season a number of big signings, but they struggled and discontent was rising. It would have been a popular decision for many halfway through that third full season if he had been sacked. But then they went on a run and won the FA Cup. 
  • There were still doubts the next season when they finished sixth, but then they won the Cup Winners Cup. 
  • They lost out on the title the next year but won the League Cup and European Super Cup. 
  • They won the league title in 1992/93, Ferguson's seventh in charge.

I'm not sure a manager in the modern game would have survived the third or fourth year. There's only been five managers in the history of NUFC who have managed 200+ games and two of them were almost a century ago. There's no point in stability for stabilities sake, but with the right person in charge it can be a huge advantage compared to clubs that are constantly chopping and changing. We have a manager who will not be outworked by anyone in the league, who is not afraid to learn and evolve, and who I don't think views us as a stepping stone to anything bigger. I hope he is rewarded with patience when the time comes and I hope he's here for a very long time.

13 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

From the end of last season...

They’re building something special here. I’ve no doubt Eddie will be around for a long time. I’m just glad that now  I look forward to the matches and want to listen to the press conferences. We now have a team that most definitely cares and tries! 
the futures bright, the futures black and white 

United :indi: