Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

He provides genuine top class ability, and scores goals.

The Isak criticism is lost on me.  The lad gobbles up chances when he gets them.  We need to work on getting him the ball more often in more dangerous positions

Simple question - if people are doubting Howe (which they are entitled to do), then who do we replace him with?

Also, do you expect the replacement to perform much better under the current circumstances (current squad and injuries)?

If the answer is ‘no’, then does it not point towards the current situation being the key factor, and not Howe’s skill as a manager.

Personally, I think he’s easily earnt the right to manage until at least the end of this season by which point injury levels have hopefully dropped to more reasonable levels.

He’s definitely not beyond blame and I think he seriously needs a Plan B at times (he relies too much on bullying teams with our physicality) and his over reliance on key individuals which has pretty much knackered them. 

Howe got absolutely pelters for bringing Ritchie on against Chelsea. But now people would have been happy for him starting numerous games in the league for us? [emoji38]

1 minute ago, Ronaldo said:

An absurd amount of goals given limited opportunities. Agreed.

Agreed but there can be more to his game, a whole lot more. He looked wrecked tonight and didn’t even break a sweat.

Just now, ponsaelius said:

The derby is undoubtedly huge even if it wasn't the derby. The FA Cup is all that is left of this season to play for.

Yep. If we were to lose that'll be 3 consecutive seasons under Howe we've been knocked out in the 3rd Round by a team from a lower league.

1 minute ago, Wandy said:

Stop being a gaslighting prick and you might not get any abuse then eh?

What the fuck are you on about? I didn't gaslight you at all. If you're calling their performance 'a disgrace,' after everything these players and staff have given, then you are entitled. 

I tried to end this exchange, btw, but you're coming back with more abuse.

Just now, ponsaelius said:

The derby is undoubtedly huge even if it wasn't the derby. The FA Cup is all that is left of this season to play for.

I care very little for the derby itself, mainly due to the fact that I seemingly never have to deal with mackems. I'll be much more pissed off to be out of a cup that we could actually win if conditions are right.

8 minutes ago, dcmk said:

Some really short memories. Embarrassing some of the stuff that continues to be said here.

Well let's just finish midtable and be happy playing terrible football. And how long should we be happy until we are allowed to question howe? 

11 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

This is the major criticism that I completely get, and it lines up with what @WillDanceForChocolate has said previously I think, basically that he struggles to change things.

To anybody wanting to put pressure on though, it's madness. Things will get back to normal eventually, we're not going to get relegated, push for the top4 again next year.

Thing is though pre injuries and last season he did mix it up. Maybe not perfectly, he'd sometimes make subs late and risk big players (like Bruno at Sheff Wed)

But these injuries are unprecedented like. I dunno how you approach it short of throwing some matches to win others.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

1) So we're using a hypothetical scenario as a stick to beat him with?

2) Earlier on in the season I may judge agreed with us, but at present the midfield are utterly knackered. Decision making and reaction timed is painfully slow in that area of the field at the moment.

(1) no I’m using the fact we have a team incapable of physically doing what he wants and he’s done little to help them do it. 

(2) is linked to 1. Personally I would have forgiven Howe for not starting or playing Bruno and Gordon in any league cup. And I’m sorry - our midfielders often vacate midfield. Time and again. It’s not impossible to stop that. Bruno is always pressing the oppositions deepest midfielder. He’s not got the legs to do that effectively atm - why do we even try it? They play it around him or just run straight past and then they are running at our defence. Just have him and another midfielder sit in front of that defence for 90 minutes. 

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Can one of the must-criticise-Howe posters watch Anthony Gordon's recovery run for Liverpool's 3rd and explain to me why that's happening?

Could it be poor tactics, lack of effort from just one of the many players everyone should know by now that work their arses off? Laziness?

Or could it be the one smacking everyone in the face, that he like loads of them, are fucking knackered? Or is that too obvious therefore you have to ignore it and look at anything else?

I’m not even slightly Howe out or anything but I guess my counter to that point would be why on earth is he playing? It was obvious he couldn’t run weeks ago, let alone after the first half today. That he played the full game today seems absolutely mad to me.

That we haven’t really got anyone else doesn’t really change that point either imo. He’s (same applies to Miggy) been struggling for ages… just take him out and play Ritchie for a game and sacrifice that area of the field/adapt to suit. The season is long, and especially this season you can’t just take each game as it comes like we did last season.

Just now, Dava1892 said:

Agreed but there can be more to his game, a whole lot more. He looked wrecked tonight and didn’t even break a sweat.

Reading comments like this just makes me think we don’t deserve good players [emoji38]

Feels like the majority of the two "sides" are fighting about things that aren't happening :lol:

A very small minority are calling for Howe to be sacked.

A very small minority are saying you can't have any criticism of the manager.

Neither of these views are that widespread from what I can see.

I'm more than willing to let Howe continue with the build. There's potentially parallels to Alex Ferguson's start at Man Utd in 1986 after taking over from a diabolical Ron Atkinson:

Ferguson joined the club from Aberdeen on the same day that Ron Atkinson was dismissed,[1] and guided the club to an 11th-place finish in the league.[2] Despite a second-place finish in 1987–88, the club was back in 11th place the following season.[3] Reportedly on the verge of being dismissed, victory over Crystal Palace in the 1990 FA Cup Final replay (after a 3–3 draw) saved Ferguson's career.

First year, Eddie stabilised us after a dog awful former ownership and utter dogshit management under Bruce. Second season we over-achieved massively. Third season we're struggling, but let's say the second half of the season picks up and we continue to build, maybe even manage an FA Cup run. Eddie's shown enough that he could well be capable of doing great things under the right circumstances, yes he could probably do some bits and pieces a bit differently, even with the injuries, etc, but don't forget he's still a young manager and still learning. Chopping and changing clearly doesn't work in the long term for any team, stability rules once the right manager is found and backed, Eddie is still that manager for us imo.

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I agree, and too many are reacting emotively to criticism and thinking it’s the same as calling for his head.  It isn’t.  And it’s a football forum - not sure what else folks are meant to talk about.  I wouldn’t want to read lots of ostrich impersonators sticking their heads in the sand, telling me that shit is sugar. 

It's the hyperbole rather than anything else.  Everyone knows we're on a bad run if form, but our form for the 18 months previously has been better than anyone could have hoped for,.

Just now, Strawberry said:

He can loss all the games this season and l still back him to be our manager. We need to sack the director of Football and the scouting team not Eddie.

I've mentioned this before but Dan Ashworth takes more blame than Eddie; Eddie had a team made mostly out of Steve Bruce's players beat psg 4-1 in the champions league; our recuritment and prepration for this  season have been terrible and the DOF takes the blame for that.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Thing is though pre injuries and last season he did mix it up. Maybe not perfectly, he'd sometimes make subs late and risk big players (like Bruno at Sheff Wed)

But these injuries are unprecedented like. I dunno how you approach it short of throwing some matches to win others.

By not ‘throwing matches’ earlier - we’ve ended up throwing more matches later through fatigue. 

2 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Howe got absolutely pelters for bringing Ritchie on against Chelsea. But now people would have been happy for him starting numerous games in the league for us? [emoji38]

Howe was the one who decided it was better to give Ritchie and PaullyD new contracts rather than look at a couple of risks from abroad. 

If he’s happy to have them in the squad then he should be using them against the relegation threatened teams at least

6 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Stop being a gaslighting prick and you might not get any abuse then eh?

This is out of order. Yorkie’s got a different take to you, puts it out there. Whatever, you have different opinions. He tries to shut it down with an innocuous post basically saying “let’s just accept we don’t agree” and you respond with that

Just now, Jaqen said:

Wouldn't have a problem with that if it meant Gordon could get a rest.

It would just be common sense to give the absolute knackered players a rest, even if the quality drops.

Hall, Dummett, Ritchie, Krafth should all have played a decent amount of football over the last month, but they've hardly had a kick.

Playing the same knackered players every game has done us no good at al, quite the opposite in fact when you look at performances and results.

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

What the fuck are you on about? I didn't gaslight you at all. If you're calling their performance 'a disgrace,' after everything these players and staff have given, then you are entitled. 

I tried to end this exchange, btw, but you're coming back with more abuse.

The very fact that you accused me of being "entitled" for daring to have an opinion on a football forum is a glaring example of your gaslighting. Go and look it up before making your next post.

2 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Feels like the majority of the two "sides" are fighting about things that aren't happening :lol:

A very small minority are calling for Howe to be sacked.

A very small minority are saying you can't have any criticism of the manager.

Neither of these views are that widespread from what I can see.

No one wants him sacked. I’ve thankfully not seen that once on here.