Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

4 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I would only swap Howe for Pep in the PL and, given this is meant to be the best league in the world, that means he’s a brilliant manager. 

Pep’s great but city are now as boring as Barca were in his final season. 

4 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I would only swap Howe for Pep in the PL and, given this is meant to be the best league in the world, that means he’s a brilliant manager. 

Klopp too based on his ability (for now) but wouldn't want him due to his cuntish personality.

17 minutes ago, Pata said:

Klopp too based on his ability (for now) but wouldn't want him due to his cuntish personality.

I think Emery, Arteta (cunt), Postecoglou and possibly de Zerbi are on par with him. 

2 hours ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

My word a few on here man 🤦🏻 I can imagine a few on here having their dream celebrity threesome (Karen Gillan and Gillian Anderson for moi fwiw) and spend the immediate aftermath complaining that one of them left their wet towels on the bathroom floor.

Have we already become so detached from where we were less than two years ago to not be able to enjoy a hard fought away win?

Maybe 30 years ago re Gillian Anderson.

20 minutes ago, aussiemag said:

I think Emery, Arteta (cunt), Postecoglou and possibly de Zerbi are on par with him. 

I feel like I bring this up often but what exactly has de Zerbi achieved apart from having Brighton at or about where Potter left them?

6 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

Some of his decision making has been questionable, of course. But no manager is perfect. 

I still feel he is 100% the right man for us at this current time and that he should get another transfer window and a crack at next season with players returning. Unless of course the wheels properly come off between now and May.

I’d be gutted if we lost him and I don’t see who is going to come in, in the here and now and do a better job. 

I think almost suggesting you’d sort of Partridge shrug :lol: if he were to leave is fairly controversial. 

Well, firstly - I appreciate the non-aggro response, I don't venture into this forum that often - nice to know there's still reasoned discussion to be had [emoji38] To be clear though, I neither expect or demand perfection from a manager. I don't care much at all about one-off mistakes, errors of judgement, bad days at the office etc.

Some have suggested "we don't demand a team that wins, we demand a team that tries" has been forgotten, or was never sincere. I still agree with the statement. But, for me, "trying" is the minimum bar for the club - and probably not that aspirational. The Ashley era had a super regressive impact on the club psyche IMO - I struggle to get behind the idea that as long as you give it your all, if it doesn't come off, you throw your hands up in the air and say "it wasn't meant to be".

My "want" is success and trophies, and I'm not in the slightest bit ashamed to say that out loud. I'm firmly middle-aged, and I'd love to see Newcastle win a trophy before I get off. I have probably now shed the bulk of the sentimentality I had as a younger fan. (I think it died when Hughton left the club, who ultimately had a lower ceiling than Howe but similarly salvaged a broken NUFC and returned it to top flight football and restored dignity, togetherness and pride - his departure was horrible [emoji38]).

I'm not desperate to see the back of Howe or anything. I don't want to get too HTT about it, so I'll just say this: the scale of positive impact he has brought to the club leaves any negative impact imperceptible to the naked eye.

BUT - I do think it's worth exploring other options if they improve our chances of winning a trophy. 

Those chances are probably better with a manager who can grow/adapt, and I am concerned about about Howe's continued intransigence about not using his squad/substitutes (even when his players are dropping like flies), his unfathomable loyalty to BDB in open games, and not evolving the team's style of play away from outworking opponents (which feels even less sustainable in the long term this season, than it did last season).* These are becoming long-term trends, not isolated issues.

* -  In his defence, I'm sure his and the club's summer plans have been blown to smithereens by Tonali and the cavalcade of injuries that followed, but there is a fair bit that has been in his control which has left me really confused. But, Tonali and Joelinton being done for the season, and Longstaff looking a shadow of himself from last year are absolute hammerblows.

Zooming out, I do think Newcastle are in a really good position to break into the elite with their squad and set-up, but with FFP and Old Money teams seeking to put up more barriers to entry to join the elite - I don't assume that the window for NUFC to capitalise on its position of relative strength will last forever. 

I think of the likes of Bruno and Isak - these incredible transformative talents - not just in terms of having their heads turned if they don't get European football - but also just getting fucking burnt out playing this attritional style of football that wears away their bodies. There's no guarantee whatsoever last season wasn't the highwater mark for the next decade.  I very much hope not, but the talk of "last year being ahead of schedule" feels like a throwback to a different era of football. IMO, you spike into the elite really quickly, or you get stripped to the bone in the summer by Old Money. Sometimes both. [emoji38]

4 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I like you so I’ll keep the stream of expletives and threats in my head. 

Thanks I think [emoji38]

4 hours ago, LiquidAK said:

Disagree massively tbh. I think he's perfect for both where we are and where we're aiming to go. He's a relatively young coach who's really struggled with the hand he's been dealt this season - but he's the heartbeat of the club and will grow with us imo.

I'd be absolutely devastated if we lost him, think it'd be such a massive step back.

If he were to leave for England in the summer, I wouldn't be indifferent but I also don't currently view him in the light of being the sure thing who can take us to the next level. I see him as a great young coach, but flawed (warts on show this year!), with the potential for growth. I could see there being other great candidates who would be attracted to the job and could do a great job too though - so it's not like Pep Guardiola leaving.

I will say Howe is a really classy ambassador for the club, and has built a good relationship with the fans - and I don't underestimate the value of that (I very well remember the Pardews, Bruces etc) but it is replicable (Hughton, Benitez etc) and I don't think it's as irreplaceable as it feels right now, maybe. It feels like gold dust post-Ashley though, which makes sense, but I don't see why it can't be normalised. Maybe I'm an idealist.

1 hour ago, Pata said:

Ah man, hope someone hacked your account.

Sorry to disappoint mate.

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

There's a fair few that just can't see this.

I really think a fair few on here really just ought to go ahead and support Man City and enjoy their lives.

All the talk about our players not being technical enough, how we need more control of games, how we shouldn't be losing to this or that team, us not spending enough money, the squad not being good enough quickly enough, going on about us being the richest club in the world and so we should act like it ... etc etc etc.

They are just so desperate to be Man City and so why not just support them?

Instead they remain and complain constantly about everything that isn't as it is at Man City all the time.

Edited by KaKa

51 minutes ago, Beren said:

Well, firstly - I appreciate the non-aggro response, I don't venture into this forum that often - nice to know there's still reasoned discussion to be had [emoji38] To be clear though, I neither expect or demand perfection from a manager. I don't care much at all about one-off mistakes, errors of judgement, bad days at the office etc.

Some have suggested "we don't demand a team that wins, we demand a team that tries" has been forgotten, or was never sincere. I still agree with the statement. But, for me, "trying" is the minimum bar for the club - and probably not that aspirational. The Ashley era had a super regressive impact on the club psyche IMO - I struggle to get behind the idea that as long as you give it your all, if it doesn't come off, you throw your hands up in the air and say "it wasn't meant to be".

My "want" is success and trophies, and I'm not in the slightest bit ashamed to say that out loud. I'm firmly middle-aged, and I'd love to see Newcastle win a trophy before I get off. I have probably now shed the bulk of the sentimentality I had as a younger fan. (I think it died when Hughton left the club, who ultimately had a lower ceiling than Howe but similarly salvaged a broken NUFC and returned it to top flight football and restored dignity, togetherness and pride - his departure was horrible [emoji38]).

I'm not desperate to see the back of Howe or anything. I don't want to get too HTT about it, so I'll just say this: the scale of positive impact he has brought to the club leaves any negative impact imperceptible to the naked eye.

BUT - I do think it's worth exploring other options if they improve our chances of winning a trophy. 

Those chances are probably better with a manager who can grow/adapt, and I am concerned about about Howe's continued intransigence about not using his squad/substitutes (even when his players are dropping like flies), his unfathomable loyalty to BDB in open games, and not evolving the team's style of play away from outworking opponents (which feels even less sustainable in the long term this season, than it did last season).* These are becoming long-term trends, not isolated issues.

* -  In his defence, I'm sure his and the club's summer plans have been blown to smithereens by Tonali and the cavalcade of injuries that followed, but there is a fair bit that has been in his control which has left me really confused. But, Tonali and Joelinton being done for the season, and Longstaff looking a shadow of himself from last year are absolute hammerblows.

Zooming out, I do think Newcastle are in a really good position to break into the elite with their squad and set-up, but with FFP and Old Money teams seeking to put up more barriers to entry to join the elite - I don't assume that the window for NUFC to capitalise on its position of relative strength will last forever. 

I think of the likes of Bruno and Isak - these incredible transformative talents - not just in terms of having their heads turned if they don't get European football - but also just getting fucking burnt out playing this attritional style of football that wears away their bodies. There's no guarantee whatsoever last season wasn't the highwater mark for the next decade.  I very much hope not, but the talk of "last year being ahead of schedule" feels like a throwback to a different era of football. IMO, you spike into the elite really quickly, or you get stripped to the bone in the summer by Old Money. Sometimes both. [emoji38]

Thanks I think [emoji38]

If he were to leave for England in the summer, I wouldn't be indifferent but I also don't currently view him in the light of being the sure thing who can take us to the next level. I see him as a great young coach, but flawed (warts on show this year!), with the potential for growth. I could see there being other great candidates who would be attracted to the job and could do a great job too though - so it's not like Pep Guardiola leaving.

I will say Howe is a really classy ambassador for the club, and has built a good relationship with the fans - and I don't underestimate the value of that (I very well remember the Pardews, Bruces etc) but it is replicable (Hughton, Benitez etc) and I don't think it's as irreplaceable as it feels right now, maybe. It feels like gold dust post-Ashley though, which makes sense, but I don't see why it can't be normalised. Maybe I'm an idealist.

In your bits. You reference Joelintons being injured, Tonalis ban and Longstaffs downfall. I assume you're not attirvituing these to Howe?

1 hour ago, Cf said:

I feel like I bring this up often but what exactly has de Zerbi achieved apart from having Brighton at or about where Potter left them?

Likewise with Ange tbh

2 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Likewise with Ange tbh

Ange has actually won trophies at every club/nation he has managed prior to Spurs. He has then taken over Spurs who were a rabble, lost a world class number 9 and transformed their style to have them challenging for top 4. It’s early  days at Spurs, but he’s a good manager and has probably achieved more than Howe at this stage in their respective careers. Howe being a lot younger. 

10 minutes ago, aussiemag said:

Ange has actually won trophies at every club/nation he has managed prior to Spurs. He has then taken over Spurs who were a rabble, lost a world class number 9 and transformed their style to have them challenging for top 4. It’s early  days at Spurs, but he’s a good manager and has probably achieved more than Howe at this stage in their respective careers. Howe being a lot younger. 

Oof … I think Howe’s achievements at Bournemouth comfortably outrank Postecoglou’s so far.  Winning the league with Celtic isn’t exactly a challenge - winning the second division with Bournemouth is definitely more difficult than that.  Winning the Asian Cup is … I mean, Qatar just won back to back titles despite being a city-state.  

Howe is the best coach I have seen at NUFC (in my lifetime as a supporter since 2006, having surpassed Rafa) in terms of what he's accomplished here so far and what his skill ceiling/potential is..

Which is why I want him to succeed more than anyone and have a long legacy here. Having said that, he is not immune from certain criticism for some things this year so far (granted not all his fault). I very much look forward to what next season will be like with him still being here. He has earnt it.

I must say that although he clearly has the ability to learn and adapt (man came with this hanging over his head - "relegated Bournemouth, his teams can't defend" and had us join best defence in the league last year with a relatively cheap back 4), this year his starting-11 squad management has been hit and miss, even with injuries taken into consideration, its not that the weeks of having a subs bench that resembled no subs bench are lost on me or anything. Certain things that stand out are the persistence with Burn (who other teams clearly view as a weak link now), bringing Willock and Murphy back too early after injury, the Lewis Hall mystery etc.

Edited by Amir_9

27 minutes ago, Amir_9 said:

Howe is the best coach I have seen at NUFC (in my lifetime as a supporter since 2006, having surpassed Rafa) in terms of what he's accomplished here so far and what his skill ceiling/potential is..

Which is why I want him to succeed more than anyone and have a long legacy here. Having said that, he is not immune from certain criticism for some things this year so far (granted not all his fault). I very much look forward to what next season will be like with him still being here. He has earnt it.

I must say that although he clearly has the ability to learn and adapt (man came with this hanging over his head - "relegated Bournemouth, his teams can't defend" and had us join best defence in the league last year with a relatively cheap back 4), this year his starting-11 squad management has been hit and miss, even with injuries taken into consideration, its not that the weeks of having a subs bench that resembled no subs bench are lost on me or anything. Certain things that stand out are the persistence with Burn (who other teams clearly view as a weak link now), bringing Willock and Murphy back too early after injury, the Lewis Hall mystery etc.

I take the point about Burn but there are times we see the value of Burn, even today the second half he had a very good game.

As for Willock, he got fit and his minutes were managed fairly well (featured in 6 games) and then his injury reoccurred. A player being brought back too sign usually gets injured almost immediately.

With Murphy he didn't bring him back too early, not sure why this is often used as a stick to beat Howe with, the injury already happened. By playing him, all that happened was surgery was delayed by a week. At the time it happened, the option was to operate and he misses about 12 weeks or can continue playing and there is a chance he can get a number of games without it popping out again but as soon as it does then surgery was necessary and the recovery period was the same 12 weeks that was mentioned. 

7 hours ago, KaKa said:

There's a fair few that just can't see this.

I really think a fair few on here really just ought to go ahead and support Man City and enjoy their lives.

All the talk about our players not being technical enough, how we need more control of games, how we shouldn't be losing to this or that team, us not spending enough money, the squad not being good enough quickly enough, going on about us being the richest club in the world and so we should act like it ... etc etc etc.

They are just so desperate to be Man City and so why not just support them?

Instead they remain and complain constantly about everything that isn't as it is at Man City all the time.

How does fans wanting to see more technical players mean we want to be like Man City ? As for spending more money, don’t think anyone has criticised the club for this at all. It’s more aimed at FFP and it’s a very fair argument.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

How does fans wanting to see more technical players mean we want to be like Man City ? As for spending more money, don’t think anyone has criticised the club for this at all. It’s more aimed at FFP and it’s a very fair argument.

Thought the same. It’s a football forum. You should be able to discuss good and bad things. Weaknesses and strengths and everything in between. There’s a tiny minority that are hyperbole and foolish and say stupid and unreasonable things and “demand” too much and not making valid arguments. It’s nice to discuss what we can improve and wish to see to evolve and become even better. I think that’s what the club and everyone involved wish to do as well. It’s also perfectly normal in football to question things if it’s reasonable and valid arguments with a point and some thought behind. It’s also normal to question (discuss) things when it isn’t going well as it’s to give praise when it does go well. As long as it’s on a respectable level and not just shouting shite without a leg to stand on. It’s football, it’s a part of it. 

7 hours ago, Beren said:

Thanks I think [emoji38]

I enjoyed reading all that. I agree Howe’s been hamstrung by injuries and the disaster that’s been the Tonali’s situation. I’m interested to see what he does with a full squad again and with some summer signings. But I agree I’d like to see him become more adaptable with his play because of some of the reasons you’ve mentioned (such as burn out and squad utilisation).

Next season will be very interesting to see how he does. I’m happy for him to stay for a few seasons yet to see him grow in the role but part of me does also feel like we might have to upgrade eventually to take the team to the next level. 

9 hours ago, James said:

Trippier is about as good a defender as Burn. I’ve seen him get done quite a few times, but in actual fact Schar is better at coming across and helping than Botman is. That’s one of the reasons.

However the main reason is that Trippier is one of the most creative players in the world, which helps us pin the opposition back on that side.

This is why the best teams generally play with two attack minded full backs, not defensive minded ones. For me, we should be looking to add threat down the left hand side so we don't become predictable in our attacking patterns, this would help pin teams back. 

Yes you're going to still see players like Trippier and Livramento get caught out, but Burn gets caught out anyway, and adding an additional attacking dimension and dragging us up the pitch far outweighs that. 

Ideally you find an athletic midfielder who is capable of filling the holes that are left, so you don't need to rely on this "Dan Burn fills in at CB when Trippier goes forward" idea. 

I don't think it's outrageous to ponder if howe can be upgraded it's just i think the are huge benefits to sticking to a manager and building club around their vision, see the benefits arsenal have got from sticking with the lego cunt when could easily have been sacked first few seasons. Continuity in how we play and team spirit are rewards. Howe very clearly still has huge buy in from the dressing room and that's important and shouldn't be taken for granted.

What impressed me about howe was he had changed things from his Bournemouth time, and what i want from him is evident he is learning and gets more proactive with in game management. 

I too want to win things but also feel last season got everyone dreaming that maybe it wasn't such a long term plan that the owners set out that we can build rome in a day. We can't, we've paid a heavy price for last season's exertions and even then we have had some fabulous results and games even if they haven't strung together into an impressive campaign. I think there's plenty of life in Howe yet, i do wonder if there will be a ceiling and we have to get a pep style superstar genius manager in to make final steps but i don't think that's yet and i don't think there's any need for vitriol even if the Dan burn obsession is annoying.

Edited by Tiresias

1 hour ago, Andy said:

This is why the best teams generally play with two attack minded full backs, not defensive minded ones. For me, we should be looking to add threat down the left hand side so we don't become predictable in our attacking patterns, this would help pin teams back. 

Yes you're going to still see players like Trippier and Livramento get caught out, but Burn gets caught out anyway, and adding an additional attacking dimension and dragging us up the pitch far outweighs that. 

Ideally you find an athletic midfielder who is capable of filling the holes that are left, so you don't need to rely on this "Dan Burn fills in at CB when Trippier goes forward" idea. 

All of the current top 3 are often playing at least one CB in at least one of the FB positions, tbf.

1 hour ago, Andy said:

I don’t think this is true anymore about 2 attack minded fullbacks. 

City started Stones and Ake at fullback yesterday.  Their most attacking fullback is Walker who is defence first imo.  

In the top 5 only Liverpool and Spurs play with 2 attacking fullbacks. 

6 hours ago, Amir_9 said:

the Lewis Hall mystery etc.

Is it a mystery though? Nobody plays ahead of Dan Burn. It's that simple. Targett couldn't get in, Hall couldn't get in, now Livramento can't get in.

Burn is 6'7", so unless someone else manages to train themselves to be 6'8", unlucky, there's nothing they can do to get in the team. There's no mystery, they're just not tall enough.