Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

9 minutes ago, JUICE690 said:

Feels like to beat us you play the low block and counter. Both Brighton and Liverpool were more than happy to give us time on the ball.

Brighton were happy to give us time on the ball? I must have been watching a different match, they hounded us non-stop.

18 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

Exactly, imagine if we get a famous win in Milan. Stranger things have happened. Get behind them.

Lost 3-1 at home to Wimbledon days before we beat Barcelona

lost 5-2 at Blackburn days before we beat Juventus.

It's a difficult task for Howe to figure out how to solve this situation. We made it out of a bad run last season and went on a brilliant winning streak. Lets hope we can do that again. Will be interesting to see what he does next.

Edited by Erikse

11 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Well you're talking about Howe's 21 months (in which he took a team from relegation fodder to Champions League qualification) vs Tony Bloom's 14 year plan that's only come to fruition in the last couple of years, hasn't ended up in Champions League qualification yet, but along the way has had them outplaying the best teams in the league. Imo there's not a single part of that that's troubling from our point of view.

If we are going to get outplayed and we know it, then I'd prefer to adapt our tactics to nullify their strengths. Our goal came from a long ball which bypassed their press, similar to how Liverpool's goals have come against us in the last two games at St James.

Like I said, Howe's no dinosaur, he'll have learned from today and I don't expect we'll be making these mistakes in future games.

Edited by TRon

16 minutes ago, TRon said:

I find that slightly troubling though, because if their system is so well drilled they can outplay us so thoroughly after losing so many players, then what does that say about our system where the manager has had two years to implement it?

From his interview, Eddie himself looked disappointed with how we matched up even if he was never going to say it in so many words. Either our system is not able to cope with a high level passing game, or we just don't have the players to implement it well enough. In which case we have been a bit naive in thinking we could just bulldoze our way through it.

Brighton have had 3 or 4 years to really build this squad and reinvest player sales. They’ve really fine tuned their approach.  Only JP and the Gk are new signings that started for them today. Everyone else has come through their system.  

One thing I really like about RDZ system is that it prioritises ballers. Gross and Gilmore aren’t the most physical players but they can pass it through the lines well with good technique. They play with a 10 and the striker needs to drop deep and link it up nicely. The GK and defenders need to be comfortable on the ball. It’s nice to watch as a football fan. Our game is more hard running and aggression. Also fun to watch but has less guile. 

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Brighton were happy to give us time on the ball? I must have been watching a different match, they hounded us non-stop.

Fair enough. I only watched the end of the first half and the start of the second and it looked like we had some decent possesion but were toothless with it.

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Brighton have had 3 or 4 years to really build this squad and reinvest player sales. They’ve really fine tuned their approach.  Only JP and the Gk are new signings that started for them today. Everyone else has come through their system.  

One thing I really like about RDZ system is that it prioritises ballers. Gross and Gilmore aren’t the most physical players but they can pass it through the lines well with good technique. They play with a 10 and the striker needs to drop deep and link it up nicely. The GK and defenders need to be comfortable on the ball. It’s nice to watch as a football fan. Our game is more hard running and aggression. Also fun to watch but has less guile. 

It would be nice to see something like 

Tonali Bruno 

Gordon Isak Barnes

Wilson

Or Almiron in there and move Gordon elsewhere. 

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Tonali Bruno 

Gordon Isak Barnes

Wilson

This isn’t far off my thinking too with Wilson as the 9

Muphy Isak Gordon

Gordon Isak Big Joe

Gordon Isak Anderson 

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I was thinking RDZ style. Wilson doesn’t really have the short game for it but certainly how do we get our most talented players in the first XI that works. 

Isak as the 10 could be quite canny - I do think we lack in this regard - someone to be the focal point and link everything up - Isak is the one - was thinking Tonali/Anderson could possibly do this too but I like the Isak and Wilson combo 

would love Hall in the team aswell - Burn been a good player for us but Hall is the future 

28 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Tonali Bruno 

Gordon Isak Barnes

Wilson

Weren’t you complaining about a lack of presence defending the half space? Not sure how removing a central midfielder for a forward would help that. 

Their defense played the ball out superbly, cant remember how many times they played slick passes to their midfielders by-passing our press.

We were lethargic at best today.

Did like wilson and isak together with gordon on the other side.

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Weren’t you complaining about a lack of presence defending the half space? Not sure how removing a central midfielder for a forward would help that. 

Sit infront of the defence - less responsibility to get forward. Create a solid box in defence with limited space.   

The 3 we have - massive gaps between themselves and the defence. Nobody responsible for sitting   

We’re not going to get relegated therefore I’m supremely relaxed about this situation. 

The most interesting thing is to see what happens next and how Howe handles it. We know he will do everything humanly possible to sort it out. 

I really think the effect of these fixtures from day one of the season is immense. It’s one thing having difficult games, it’s another having such difficult games before you’ve had a chance to get up and running. 

The break comes at a good time for us, can’t wait to see what we do next. 

TBH I ultimately think that 10 minutes against Liverpool has resulted in 3 points from these games instead of 6-9. Again, an extreme shock without a chance to recover in an easier game. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo