Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

2 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

The Athletic is really good for opinion or insightful pieces into tactics, players, managers, how clubs operate, et cetera. It's not good for breaking news like transfers or managerial appointments imo.

Just signed up for the free week, then it's £79 a year after that. Ouch. I think I might cancel it again after the free week's up, seems a bit steep to be reading some NUFC related articles. 

22 minutes ago, Geordie Magpie said:

Hopefully Jones can start picking up some results and then the Owners can go into detail with potential new owners and get the right one in.

Links to Martinez and Howe don't excite me but remember beggars can't be choosers and we would of took anyone over Bruce.

Fonseca is an up and coming manager and his attacking brand of football would be loved here but could he really get that working with what is essentially a championship level defence? 

Gerrard has won SPL but managing in the Prem is a big step up and a gamble.

See how Jones does next few games!

Fonseca has been managing since 2005. Hardly up and coming :lol: 

The days of 3 years rolling and 8 year contracts is over. If we get someone like Gerrard, Howe or Martinez to steady the ship I'm not really concerned, and they should be more easily replaceable when/if they have taken us as far as they can.

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

Just signed up for the free week, then it's £79 a year after that. Ouch. I think I might cancel it again after the free week's up, seems a bit steep to be reading some NUFC related articles. 

Search about for offers or listen to some podcasts, they usually have deals for £1-3 a month.  I missed my deadline last time though and had to paid full whack before I realised

16 minutes ago, TRon said:

When you cancel it they will immediately offer it to you for about £17 a year.

Another new name…

“Major League Soccer side San Jose Earthquakes manager Matías Almeyda has emerged as a surprise target and it’s said the English club have made an ‘enquiry’ for his availability.

The 47-year-old has so far managed River Plate, Club Atlético Banfield and Guadalajara before arriving in the MLS, but the website say Almeyda ‘would like to compete in a much more competitive league’.”

http://sportwitness.co.uk/newcastle-made-surprise-enquiry-mls-manager-wants-job-much-competitive-league/

5 minutes ago, bowlingcrofty said:

When you cancel it they will immediately offer it to you for about £17 a year.

Here’s three 30 day guest passes for those that want them:

https://theathletic.com/gp/15dymr68el 

https://theathletic.com/gp/ptro3qyfez 

https://theathletic.com/gp/zt8wvfmo2n

Though it’s only £1 a month at the minute anyway:

https://theathletic.com/checkout2/intro1/introperiod6/ 

5 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Another new name…

“Major League Soccer side San Jose Earthquakes manager Matías Almeyda has emerged as a surprise target and it’s said the English club have made an ‘enquiry’ for his availability.

The 47-year-old has so far managed River Plate, Club Atlético Banfield and Guadalajara before arriving in the MLS, but the website say Almeyda ‘would like to compete in a much more competitive league’.”

http://sportwitness.co.uk/newcastle-made-surprise-enquiry-mls-manager-wants-job-much-competitive-league/

Can't lie I've been impressed by the wide range of people we're looking at and considering. Seems very thorough.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Can't lie I've been impressed by the wide range of people we're looking at and considering. Seems very thorough.

Yeah I agree, would rather them take their time and spread their net further afield. Feel more relaxed about this next step now.

8 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Sounds like they may give Jones Palace and Chelsea, then have something sorted for the international break.

If that is true, I hope Jones at least steps up training and gets the players in better shape for the new manager. Any results against Palace or Chelsea will be a bonus.

2 hours ago, Conjo said:

Someone posted a video of Xavi on here a week or so ago, where he was talking about his tactics and how he is obsessed with possession. Imagine him trying to get the current batch of players to play a possession style of football :lol: Have we had even one match in the league with more than 45% possession the last 3 seasons? :lol: 

I imagine a coach who emphasises possession will have training methods to suit.

And don't cite Bruce as an example. he is anything but a coach with a plan, or any methods. 

15 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Sounds like they may give Jones Palace and Chelsea, then have something sorted for the international break.

The Chelsea game has just become a lot more winnable as Lukaku and Werner are both out 

20 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

Chelsea should still beat us easily even with both of them out.

Most teams should still tbf. :lol: Chelsea seem to struggle up here though for whatever reason. Not counting last season due to no fans, they've only won up here once in the last 9 or 10 years. Plus, if a new manager is installed by then the atmosphere will be really good.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

Regarding the possession game, it can easily be coached. I appreciate some players will have more natural ability on the ball than others, but even players with Football

League ability can be taught how to keep the ball, under a decent coach. 

45 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Makes sense tbh, give the new man a fighting chance of starting with a win.