Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

8 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

A lot of those same fans went to games while Bruce was manager and never said a word against him so hardly good judges tbf.

Not sure giving the team and manager pelters for 90 mins every week is helpful or useful mind.  

4 minutes ago, Toon1892 said:

Are you genuinely saying the crowd hostility is the same for Howe now as it was for Bruce!? Like really!? Come on mate…

I'm saying the in ground support is hardly worth going by when it comes to manager opinions when they barely did a thing when Pardew, Carver, McClaren & Bruce were in the dugout (other than rare occasions). 

4 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I'm saying the in ground support is hardly worth going by when it comes to manager opinions when they barely did a thing when Pardew, Carver, McClaren & Bruce were in the dugout (other than rare occasions). 

Creasing at this. Did you want a sniper to take them out or something?

The atmospheres were hostile. There were pitch invaders. Booing on a regular occurrence.

There is none of that for Howe. But if fans carry on disrupting I’m sure it will come soon and then I hope people like you will be proud of yourself.

I presume you were the type that boo’d sir Bobby out too.

Nope I just don't agree with the "holier than thou" sentiment about match going fans being better.

A lot of the vocal crowd gave it all up in those days, a lot of the ones that stayed were happy to go no matter what the fuck was happening on and off the pitch. That's why I don't hold their opinions any better or worse than people who don't go, post on social media, etc. 

7 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Nope I just don't agree with the "holier than thou" sentiment about match going fans being better.

A lot of the vocal crowd gave it all up in those days, a lot of the ones that stayed were happy to go no matter what the fuck was happening on and off the pitch. That's why I don't hold their opinions any better or worse than people who don't go, post on social media, etc. 

I think my point went straight over your head. Never mind

3 hours ago, Toon1892 said:

If the majority genuinely want Howe gone we have a pathetic fan base and that hurts saying that.

This is fairly hyperbolic mind. There is probably a very very small minority with that opinion on this forum, the vast majority are just sharing their opinion on areas he could and should improve, which is totally reasonable and doesn’t suggest they demand his head.

Your other mistake may be relying on social media, which is worthless to take any sort of measure from.

3 hours ago, Toon1892 said:

Are you genuinely saying the crowd hostility is the same for Howe now as it was for Bruce!? Like really!? Come on mate…

Not sure he is saying that. I think he’s pointed out the hostility for Bruce and others was often at a minimum. I was given all sorts of abuse for calling for Pardew’s head whilst sitting watching us take a 6-0 slapping at home to Liverpool.

21 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I recognise the excellent work and the progress the club has made to date and the stability he has brought to the club. But there are multiple posters on this very thread trying to claim his career's achievements are comparable to Jurgen Klopp.

Why would he have been sacked or hounded it? He took a club that finished 13th the previous season and 9th the year before to 6th, 5th, league winners, then league and cup double and a CL final. That's 4 years of straight progression.

The Klopp comparison doesn't work. They do not have the same career or track record (they have similarities in coaching style).

I'm not completely ruling it out. I don't have "Howe is elite" as my assumption of his abilities as many here do because I don't think there's evidence for it.

I rate him, I think he'll end the season strongly and think we can do very well next season with him at the helm. I'm just not convinced he's the next Fergie or Klopp. This is a balanced take.. it isn't if you think he's the best English manager since Bryan Clough. 

An alternative way of looking at it is can you think of any manager who has taken a group of players and improved so many of them? In his first half season he amassed 38 points with a team who had only managed 11 points in the first 19 games. 
Rather than subjective categories like ‘elite’ or ‘world class’ or whatever, if we want to know whether he is remarkably good at his job, we should bear that in mind. 

22 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Why would he have been sacked or hounded it? He took a club that finished 13th the previous season and 9th the year before to 6th, 5th, league winners, then league and cup double and a CL final. That's 4 years of straight progression.

So you’re telling me Howe did better than Klopp in his first full season, including more cup finals? 

How have you managed to turn that into a negative against Howe? Comparing a Liverpool squad with a wage budget twice as high as ours is a bit of a silly comparison.

Fans that are comparing should be using managers that have managed squads with the 7th highest wage bill. Klopp had the second highest wage bill in that period. It really isn’t a fair comparison.

Lets compare apples with apples.

1 minute ago, Toon1892 said:

So you’re telling me Howe did better than Klopp in his first full season, including more cup finals? 

How have you managed to turn that into a negative against Howe? Comparing a Liverpool squad with a wage budget twice as high as ours is a bit of a silly comparison.

Fans that are comparing should be using managers that have managed squads with the 7th highest wage bill. Klopp had the second highest wage bill in that period. It really isn’t a fair comparison.

We were chatting about his time at Dortmund to be fair.

3 minutes ago, Toon1892 said:

And Klopp started off with a far stronger squad.

Aaaaaanyhoo, I'm giving Eddie a pass on the last few months due to the players missing, until then it had been all fantastic. Players coming back now, hopefully staying fit, and in a week or two should be hitting proper match fitness, so Evertonish  onwards. Let's see then.

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Exactly.  

So many people regard Howe in a stratosphere that is just unproven. 

Or just looking at the facts and using sensible rationale to appraise him?

Honest question- where did you expect we’d be right now when Eddie Howe was appointed? Did you think we’d be top 4 every season? Did you think we’d have top 4 one out of the two seasons? Did you think we’d be in the championship?

Unproven? He got a team into the champions league with a tiny wage budget. Our wage budget was closer to 20th place than 4th place. That has only happened a handful of times.

Ignoring the historic lack of investment in the squad, ignoring the lack of infrastructure, ignoring the shambolic training facilities, ignoring the significant improvement in a large number of the squad, ignoring the unprecedented injuries and absences, ignoring the imprived style of play, ignoring the position we were in when he took over and ignoring the 2 years of CL form, then yes, you'd be right Howe isn't doing as good a job as people are lead to beleive. 

Edited by Thumbheed

4 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Ignoring the historic lack of investment in the squad, ignoring the lack of infrastructure, ignoring the shambolic training facilities, ignoring the significant improvement in a large number of the squad, ignoring the unprecedented injuries and absences, ignoring the 2 years of CL form, then yes, you'd be right Howe isn't doing as good a job as people are lead to beleive. 

But but but we aren’t in the top 4 with the 8th highest wage bill and record injuries. He has to go LOL

1 hour ago, Toon1892 said:

Or just looking at the facts and using sensible rationale to appraise him?

Honest question- where did you expect we’d be right now when Eddie Howe was appointed? Did you think we’d be top 4 every season? Did you think we’d have top 4 one out of the two seasons? Did you think we’d be in the championship?

Unproven? He got a team into the champions league with a tiny wage budget. Our wage budget was closer to 20th place than 4th place. That has only happened a handful of times.

I've never claimed we should be top 4 or anything like that so these are all irrelevant questions.

Yes he is unproven as an elite-level coach. His highest achievement in the professional game is finishing 4th and a league cup final. His first season with European football led to a collapse in league form.

Where's your proof of the bolded? In terms of position, I don't even think that was true under Ashley. Our wage bill would've been around 11th/12th highest in the league. After January last season, our net spend was top 5 in Europe since the takeover. Read this thread - our expenditure to the 2023 accounts is consistently high across wages, amortisation costs. Squad cost = 7th. Wages = 7th. To finish 4th last season, excellent job. We did very well to finish above Spurs & Liverpool (considering Chelsea weren't competitive). If we finish 9th or lower this season... it's a bad season.

https://x.com/KieranMaguire/status/1762492756830888268?s=20

I expect us to finish 7th/8th because i think we have good players and a good manager. The fixtures are favourable and we are getting players back. Confidence seems shot and the system broken which makes me anxious.

And as I've said repeatedly - I don't hold Eddie solely account for successes or failures. The squad and the leadership are also responsible. We did so well last season because everything went in our favour. The transfers were excellent, the coaching was excellent, lucky with injuries. This year, the transfers have been a mixed bag, unlucky with injuries, the coaching has been exposed at times etc.

Edited by The College Dropout

45 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Apparently been mentioned within Chelsea, as a possible option once Pochettino gets the boot.

They need to let someone clear house. I don't know how that's possible considering FFP. There are a lot of talented players they would need to sell at a amortisation loss.

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I've never claimed we should be top 4 or anything like that so these are all irrelevant questions.

Yes he is unproven as an elite-level coach. His highest achievement in the professional game is finishing 4th and a league cup final. His first season with European football led to a collapse in league form.

Where's your proof of the bolded? In terms of position, I don't even think that was true under Ashley. Our wage bill would've been around 11th/12th highest in the league. After January last season, our net spend was top 5 in Europe since the takeover. Read this thread - our expenditure to the 2023 accounts is consistently high across wages, amortisation costs. Squad cost = 7th. Wages = 7th. To finish 4th last season, excellent job. We did very well to finish above Spurs & Liverpool (considering Chelsea weren't competitive). If we finish 9th or lower this season... it's a bad season.

https://x.com/KieranMaguire/status/1762492756830888268?s=20

I expect us to finish 7th/8th because i think we have good players and a good manager. The fixtures are favourable and we are getting players back. Confidence seems shot and the system broken which makes me anxious.

And as I've said repeatedly - I don't hold Eddie solely account for successes or failures. The squad and the leadership are also responsible. We did so well last season because everything went in our favour. The transfers were excellent, the coaching was excellent, lucky with injuries. This year, the transfers have been a mixed bag, unlucky with injuries, the coaching has been exposed at times etc.

How on god's earth do you have so much time to spend on here? Every time i come on there's war and peace from you on another topic.

You make HTT look like a one word wonder.

4 minutes ago, lovejoy said:

How on god's earth do you have so much time to spend on here? Every time i come on there's war and peace from you on another topic.

You make HTT look like a one word wonder.

I cannot convey how relentless I am as a human being. And lucky.