Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

6 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

A good result but if I’m honest I would’ve been very disappointed with a defeat giving who they had missing and Haaland clearly not 100%. Everton a massive game for us next weekend.

Credit to our defence. Even without Rodri and KDB who are massive for them, they still have so much quality. That felt like a win for me. Hopefully a springboard and turning point for our form.

10 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

A good result but if I’m honest I would’ve been very disappointed with a defeat giving who they had missing and Haaland clearly not 100%. Everton a massive game for us next weekend.

Look who they had playing and had on the bench. Great point imo.

1 hour ago, Beren said:

Good performance, good result. I want to see if this sticks.

Think it's a bit easier in some ways to show that kind of intensity against Man City. Want to see it vs a Fulham or an Everton.

I think we've maybe fallen into thinking that against supposedly lesser teams we can control the game a bit more and maybe don't need the same work rate.

But that's not where the strength of the players we have is. I dare say that in terms of our ability to play patient build up, possession based football we're probably in the bottom half of the table with the personnel we have.

Where we have the advantage though is our physicality and how good our players are at doing things at high tempo. Joelinton and Tonali's physicality, Gordon and Willock running at defenders, Barnes' ability to quickly create half a yard of space and get a shot away. Even our limited players like Murphy and Longstaff are at their best as they're playing more of a reactive game rather than needing to be tidy in possession.

We've read before that Eddie wants us to transition to a more possession based style but I just don't think we have the players for it and he needs to go back to what we're best at.

If he wants to transition to being more possession based, we need to bring in players that allow us to do that next summer. Either that or build serious squad depth that allows us to rotate and play at high intensity every game.

54 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Incredibly harsh that, we were an Isak away from winning that game 

2 hours ago, Beren said:

Good performance, good result. I want to see if this sticks.

Think it's a bit easier in some ways to show that kind of intensity against Man City. Want to see it vs a Fulham or an Everton.

I agree with this, we were very good today and did a solid job of keeping City contained, whilst looking to hit them on the counter with the pace of Gordon.

It would have been so easy for heads to drop when we went behind but we didn’t do that and pulled ourselves back in to the game.

Someone made the point recently about how the opposition has figured out that some of our players are not very good on the ball, so are happy to let us have it. So building on this and keeping the same level of press and intensity going forward.

38 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

I agree with this, we were very good today and did a solid job of keeping City contained, whilst looking to hit them on the counter with the pace of Gordon.

It would have been so easy for heads to drop when we went behind but we didn’t do that and pulled ourselves back in to the game.

Someone made the point recently about how the opposition has figured out that some of our players are not very good on the ball, so are happy to let us have it. So building on this and keeping the same level of press and intensity going forward.

Which players are not good on the ball ?

7 minutes ago, Ben said:

Which players are not good on the ball ?

Joelinton and Longstaff are regulars who are limited with the ball at their feet.

The strange thing with Joelinton is that his control is excellent.

3 times already this season we have came back from behind to get a point or all 3. 

I might be wrong. But I used to think it was a minor issue under Howe? Either way, it’s still positive. Seeing as we have barely played well all season. 

Tactically today we were spot on. The City goal comes from Trippier diving in and as well as Gvardiol does for the goal he does get lucky with the ball going through Tonali's legs. We do also seem to be one of the few teams able to negate Haaland somewhat.  

2 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

Hope they can cope.

1 hour ago, Zero said:

I was suspecting this for long - Howe reserved the intensity tactic for big games only

How do you know? I don't think Howe is asking the players to play with less intensity at all.

41 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Joelinton and Longstaff are regulars who are limited with the ball at their feet.

The strange thing with Joelinton is that his control is excellent.

the one for his goal i the spurs 6-1 was even better than his first touch for his chance today.