Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Guest reefatoon
Just now, Chicken Dancer said:

I'd be astounded if they haven't got anybody lined up - they're sure to have been speaking to agents/managers for a few weeks indicating this was close and establishing interest in the job.

I'll be shocked if Bruce is here by Sunday evening. I wouldn't even let him empty his desk, fuck him.

Better to just burn the desk, it'll be lathered in lard

Fwiw I think whoever becomes manager, wether we all universally want him or not, the key difference now is that he will have to get results or he will be replaced. There will be no more long dreadful runs of losses without consequences and that in itself is exciting.

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

:lol: I would say I'm surprised at the flak Southgate still gets after leading England to their first final in 51 years, but I'm not. 

He achieved good results, of course. But he had a fantastic team with which to do it. And on the flip side, his teams play shit football, and he's incapable of effectively using substitutes to change a game. In fact, from what I saw he's almost incapable of using substitutes at all.

13 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

:lol: I would say I'm surprised at the flak Southgate still gets after leading England to their first final in 51 years, but I'm not. 

Biggest bottle job going. Great bloke and credit for getting us to a final but I’d like someone with a track record of winning, not someone who constantly falls short, IMO through his own poor decisions. 

Southgate suits being an international manager more than a club manager. The emphases are different. He can instil the right atmosphere with limited time, works with good coaches who compensate for his weaknesses and strikes the right relationship with all the people he needs to. International football is slower and he sets up his team in a balanced and compact way, where they're not going to be too exposed to individual errors. He's proved himself very adept at it and shown more understanding of the qualities needed for an international coach more than any England manager post-Ramsay.

Club management is a little different though and he's far from proven at it. 

Edited by ATF

19 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Doesn't tell the full picture.

Southgate will rightly be a legend for going further than anyone else but nobody has had the sheer depth of talent he has had and we have played some terrible football when we get to the tournaments.

I'm full of respect for him but shouldn't be anywhere near Newcastle.

8 minutes ago, Magpie said:

You serious? He's just as bad as Bruce

Christ on a bike. 

Cba with arguing to that extent. :lol:

I like Southgate, I think he's very honest and dignified and I think he managed the England team fantastically well for the most part in the Euros, including (/especially) team selections and tactical choices. Wasn't flawless, like, mistakes did happen, including tragically in the final. But England have had some amazing squads of players and not progressed to anywhere near the extent he did, so I don't think the suggestion that he wasted the talent is a fair one at all. 

Without being too catty, I think comparing him to Bruce is absolutely laughable. He's a billion times the man, of nothing else. 

I don't think he's an amazing manager. The main reason why I'd like Southgate is cos I know him (not personally obvs), like him and respect him. That is an absolute world away from the current wanker. 

But appreciate that he wouldn't be everyone's choice. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Christ on a bike. 

I like Southgate, I think he's very honest and dignified and I think he managed the England team fantastically well for the most part in the Euros, including (/especially) team selections and tactical choices. Wasn't flawless, like, mistakes did happen, including tragically in the final. 

Without being too catty, I think comparing him to Bruce is absolutely laughable. He's a billion times the man, of nothing else. 

The main reason why I'd like Southgate is cos I know him (not personally obvs), like him and respect him. That is an absolute world away from the current wanker. 

You're right, comparing him to Bruce was a massive faux pas on my part so apologies. But I just think he's just so tactically inept. 

Totally agree he seems like a proper decent bloke, and has brought some excellent qualities to the England set up. Just not on the pitch.

Could make an excellent DoF.

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Christ on a bike. 

I like Southgate, I think he's very honest and dignified and I think he managed the England team fantastically well for the most part in the Euros, including (/especially) team selections and tactical choices. Wasn't flawless, like, mistakes did happen, including tragically in the final. 

The main reason why I'd like Southgate is cos I know him (not personally obvs), like him and respect him. That is an absolute world away from the current wanker. 

Yeah. Comparing him to Bruce [just as a human] is just out of order.

I feel for Southgate but wouldn't want him as manager. I don't consider him to be a failure, he reached the WC final. As mad as it is, I think we scored too early against Italy, simple as that. We were not set up to take advantage of the disarray in the Italian ranks that resulted from that goal. It would have been brilliant if he'd had the courage to change tings at that point, particularly because of how his substitutions eventually turned out, but he was never going to do that.

3 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Yeah. Comparing him to Bruce [just as a human] is just out of order.

I feel for Southgate but wouldn't want him as manager. I don't consider him to be a failure, he reached the WC final. As mad as it is, I think we scored too early against Italy, simple as that. We were not set up to take advantage of the disarray in the Italian ranks that resulted from that goal. It would have been brilliant if he'd had the courage to change tings at that point, particularly because of how his substitutions eventually turned out, but he was never going to do that.

We didn’t have a shot for 70 minutes and he didn’t make any changes, despite having all the talent in the world on the bench. No attempt at all to stop the dry bumming we were receiving for 3/4 of the game. Bottled! 

Absolute gem of a human being. I have met him a couple of times and he’s just as nice and humble as he comes across, but I don’t want him anywhere near NUFC, unless it’s as DOF as mentioned above. 

Edited by Holmesy

Just now, Holmesy said:

We didn’t have a shot for 70 minutes and he didn’t make any changes, despite having all the talent in the world on the bench. No attempt at all to stop the dry bumming we were receiving for 3/4 of the game. Bottled! 

Thought I had addressed that.