Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

I would take Howe in a heartbeat under less ambitious owners, but I think we can aim higher with PIF. Not sure Howe would command the pulling power for the really big players abroad. 

Yeah that's fair. :thup: Would prefer him to those other two though. 

2 minutes ago, hakka said:

Is he still able to do it? even on a short term? I do really admire him and his fantastic achievements, but he's 71. I suppose Bobby Robson must have nearly been that age during the end of his time managing us.

That's a fair point like :thup: Hadn't considered that he was getting on.  I reckon Conte would do a better job with the current squad but I just can't see it happening :lol: this has all been too fast for me :lol:

Edited by OpenC

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

I would take Howe in a heartbeat under less ambitious owners, but I think we can aim higher with PIF. Not sure Howe would command the pulling power for the really big players abroad. 

That’s basically where I’m at too. Manager is the only thing the new owners can influence in the immediate term to improve fortunes. You’d hope they see it as an opportunity to make a statement.

4 minutes ago, hakka said:

Is he still able to do it? even on a short term? I do really admire him and his fantastic achievements, but he's 71. I suppose Bobby Robson must have nearly been that age during the end of his time managing us.

He probably wouldn’t want to. He seems to be enjoying knocking around UEFA HQ trying to ruin the game with his mental ideas.

Last summer https://www.espn.co.uk/football/soccer-transfers/story/4087557/new-newcastle-owners-target-pochettinoallegricavani-sources

"Despite reports suggesting Steve Bruce will have time to prove himself, sources have told ESPN the owners want a more high-profile name for next season, with four leading contenders: Pochettino, Allegri, Rafael Benitez and Lucien Favre."

Favre being the only one available. We'll see if that report has substance eventually

1 minute ago, OpenC said:

That's a fair point like :thup: Hadn't considered that he was getting on.  I reckon Conte would do a better job with the current squad but I just can't see it happening :lol: this has all been too fast for me :lol:

It's all bonkers :lol: - I thought takeover was 99.9% dead and we were on course for a relegation under Bruce, suddenly we are having serious debates about which top league international winning managers we should be bringing in. 

2 minutes ago, christ said:

He probably wouldn’t want to. He seems to be enjoying knocking around UEFA HQ trying to ruin the game with his mental ideas.

It's been nearly 4 years since he left Arsenal and there hasn't been a sniff of him managing anyone, which suggests he's happy doing whatever he's doing now. Not paid attention to his work within UEFA, but sad to hear it's not ideas that are well received.

1 minute ago, hakka said:

It's been nearly 4 years since he left Arsenal and there hasn't been a sniff of him managing anyone, which suggests he's happy doing whatever he's doing now. Not paid attention to his work within UEFA, but sad to hear it's not ideas that are well received.

I think he’s behind the World Cup every two years plan and has mooted stuff like kick ins rather than throw ins.

He was always an innovator but he needs to be stopped.

6 minutes ago, OpenC said:

If Conte has, as reported, been approached I'd like to think he can be convinced. First choice to show we're serious. And who could refuse Mandy?

I know it's early days and there is nothing to support my illusion, but she makes me believe she has a similar charisma to Keegan.

2 minutes ago, christ said:

I think he’s behind the World Cup every two years plan and has mooted stuff like kick ins rather than throw ins.

He was always an innovator but he needs to be stopped.

Yeah he's had some odd ideas. I remember once he suggested removing points for draws and wins, and purely give points for goals. :lol:  - I think it was because he was seeing a rise in park the bus tactics so thought that would combat it.

It's going to take a while for it to sink in that, in theory at least, we can now afford anything and anyone in a footballing sense. Whether we can immediately attract the very best yet in the managerial and playing sense, remains to be seen. We're not about to just come along and poach Pep or sign Salah. But I think we've seen the last of the days when we'd be rumored to have agreed a fee for a player but everyone is saying "Aye, but we'll not pay the wages man, at least we tried", or "He's playing great, will be an honour to see him in a Liverpool shirt". We no longer need to do that.

I personally think this is the new owners opportunity to make a real statement, they'll talk in humble terms but in reality, they're going to want to make a big move and ensure we don't struggle. Time will tell.

1 minute ago, LionOfGosforth said:

It's going to take a while for it to sink in that, in theory at least, we can now afford anything and anyone in a footballing sense. Whether we can immediately attract the very best yet in the managerial and playing sense, remains to be seen. We're not about to just come along and poach Pep or sign Salah. But I think we've seen the last of the days when we'd be rumored to have agreed a fee for a player but everyone is saying "Aye, but we'll not pay the wages man, at least we tried", or "He's playing great, will be an honour to see him in a Liverpool shirt". We no longer need to do that.

I personally think this is the new owners opportunity to make a real statement, they'll talk in humble terms but in reality, they're going to want to make a big move and ensure we don't struggle. Time will tell.

Aye we might not be signing Salah, but we'll no longer be passing on the opportunity to sign the next Salah.