Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 minute ago, wormy said:

The Howe hate isn't reserved solely for some weirdos on here. My Arsenal mate would go apoplectic any time he was even slightly linked to their job and that was when he was still doing well with Bournemouth. :lol: Seems to draw such a weird little hate crowd.

Howe did very well at the lower levels, but you have to question how well he did in the PL. I know Bournemouth are a small time club that got to the PL but he made genuinely awful signings and was mugged off for those genuinely awful signings too. Honestly, we also went apoplectic because signing Howe while Liverpool went out and got Klopp and Chelsea got out to get Conte was woefully small time. 

Also before anyone goes all OMG if he was Howiola, Potter doesn't get the same reaction from fans because his teams genuinely overperform and play excellent football. Howe played possession football which was sterile honestly.

2 minutes ago, TopSnagger said:

Howe did very well at the lower levels, but you have to question how well he did in the PL. I know Bournemouth are a small time club that got to the PL but he made genuinely awful signings and was mugged off for those genuinely awful signings too. Honestly, we also went apoplectic because signing Howe while Liverpool went out and got Klopp and Chelsea got out to get Conte was woefully small time. 

Also before anyone goes all OMG if he was Howiola, Potter doesn't get the same reaction from fans because his teams genuinely overperform and play excellent football. Howe played possession football which was sterile honestly.

If I was an Arsenal fan and they replaced Wenger with Howe I'd be furious too :lol: 

Just now, The Prophet said:

He kept them in the Premier League for four to five years didn't he?

True, but he did also take them down. It's a failure of a manager if you go down after four to five years surely. Also look at Potter and Brighton, and what actual overachievement is. Bournemouth were good enough for midtable and nothing more. Hell, even Sheffield's one good season was more impressive.

Just now, TopSnagger said:

True, but he did also take them down. It's a failure of a manager if you go down after four to five years surely. Also look at Potter and Brighton, and what actual overachievement is. Bournemouth were good enough for midtable and nothing more. Hell, even Sheffield's one good season was more impressive.

He got Bournemouth to finish 8th? Not sure how that not considered an overachievement like :lol: Also mate the debate that one bad season makes a bad manager, its so short sighted and doesn't have any context.

32 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Interesting interview where Emery talks about why Arsenal's Board selected him and some of the issues he faced along the way. His time in the Premier League will be very helpful as well as his experience at PSG at managing big named players that we will inevitably sign  

Read elsewhere that he resembles Sid the Sexist and you can totally see it in that video [emoji38]

Just now, 54 said:

He got Bournemouth to finish 8th? Not sure how that not considered an overachievement like :lol: Also mate the debate that one bad season makes a bad manager, its so short sighted and doesn't have any context.

Knew someone would bring that up. He finished 9th with 46 points which is about what he got most seasons, just above 40. 

Just lucked out that all teams were dire enough that 8th was 46 points ahead on goal difference for Southampton

In contrast, 7th was 61 points. That was an outlier of a season, as shown by the fact he put up similar numbers the year after and finished 14th

Honestly the media on English managers over-achievements  are always over the top. 46 points was not a huge overachievement by any stretch of the imagination. In the PL under Howe, they had 42, 46, 44, 45 and then 34 points. You'd think his 9th place would be some huge outlier and a great performance when it was just the rest of the league being utter shite. People remember 9th because that's what the media want you to remember, but he was pretty consistently the same except the last season

2 minutes ago, TopSnagger said:

Honestly the media on English managers over-achievements  are always over the top. 46 points was not a huge overachievement by any stretch of the imagination. In the PL under Howe, they had 42, 46, 44, 45 and then 34 points. You'd think his 9th place would be some huge outlier and a great performance when it was just the rest of the league being utter shite. People remember 9th because that's what the media want you to remember, but he was pretty consistently the same except the last season

Again, he got Bournemouth from League two with 17 points deficit, to the Premier League and stabilized them there, within a decade, i'm not sure how people can knock that achievement. Personally think he'd also be a good fit, hes young and could grow with the club in the coming years, and plays a decent brand of football. Emery was my number 1 choice for what its worth, but just think the disrespect Howe gets is massively unwarranted. 

12 minutes ago, Gaztoon said:

Fans seem to be the polar opposite to the media lot.. 

Fans.. English manager must be shite

Media.. English manager can't do nothing wrong

Its just hard to bridge the gap that English coaches have found themselves behind in the past 20 years. The press and let's be honest the pundit buddies create and renew the cycle through of praise and hype to impossible levels so its hard for any British coach to succeed, followed by an outcry of injustice when they fail which rubs fans the wrong way.

Lots of English coaches are better than fans think, likewise the allure of foreign coaches is often misguided. It's probably a bit more in the middle.

1 minute ago, 54 said:

Again, he got Bournemouth from League two with 17 points deficit, to the Premier League and stabilized them there, within a decade, i'm not sure how people can knock that achievement. Personally think he'd also be a good fit, hes young and could grow with the club in the coming years, and plays a decent brand of football. Emery was my number 1 choice for what its worth, but just think the disrespect Howe gets is massively unwarranted. 

From League 2 to Championship just proves he's an excellent lower league manager. You can only judge him on the PL for a PL club

Like I can see how he's a big upgrade on Bruce but you guys are now able to attract most managers so probably should aim higher than Howe. I'd have been mad if we got him at Arsenal personally

Edited by TopSnagger

3 hours ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

If you don't think keeping Bruce on (after briefing every media outlet around he was going) was a mistake then you're already at the point of refusing to criticise the new owners purely on the basis they're better than Ashley.

If Conte is available, you don't interview Lampard or Howe as they operate in different leagues. It's the same with Emery, he's won multiple European and domestic trophies, you don't interview managers that have promotion from the championship on their CV when he is attainable.

I'm not going in to back on forths on this, they mishandled the Bruce situation, which, along with league position and performances led to people worrying about the "delay" in getting a new manager. Ultimately, they've made an exciting appointment (if it happens).

Calling people out for having legitimate concerns and worries is poor.

No one in their right minds are criticising the owners other than yourself and the likes of New Beginnings because you simply couldn’t give them the patience required for 13 days since Bruce left. They deserved our patience after they hung around for so long to buy our club, yet you wanted them to immediately sack Bruce and appoint God knows who without a thorough process being undertaken. What they have done is the correct thing. If they get things wrong going forward, then by all means they can be criticised- no one will be above that- but come on, they’ve only been here a few weeks and you think you know better than they do about running a club. There has been no ‘delay’ other than in your own mind and what you now perceive to be the correct way/time of making decisions. I’ve called no one out other than to say your lack of patience and need of immediate action by the owners is a little bizarre and panic like.  

1 hour ago, TopSnagger said:

Best of what Emery did at us (Were some awful moments in between too). But you'll notice fullbacks pushing up high and overlapping and sending in many short crosses 

He's also very open with his feelings on the touchline 

One touch football, through balls, accurate low crosses, movement. It’ll never catch on. Give me Brewcie’s shackles off, front foot football any day. 

In all seriousness. The standard of player will be totally different. But nice to see there is some sort of plan and structure to the play. It’s been non-existent since Rafa left. 

16 minutes ago, TopSnagger said:

The only reason I am not furiously agreeing with this is that Emery still hasn't been announced.

So if he says no and we end up getting Howe, I'll have to end up coming up with a whole load of reasons in my own head as to why it was probably all for the best.

Do find it weird how the 'good ebening' thing seems to be a stick to beat Emery with

His English is a lot better than most people's Spanish and they usually pronounce a 'v' as a 'b' anyway in Spain. Just seems a bit cheap I guess

Is it any different to taking the piss out of Cabbagehead's "well you know" or Gerrard's "yeah course" or like a million other things? :lol:

Think people are taking that a bit too seriously like. I doubt Emery himself gives a toss.

10 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Do find it weird how the 'good ebening' thing seems to be a stick to beat Emery with

His English is a lot better than most people's Spanish and they usually pronounce a 'v' as a 'b' anyway in Spain. Just seems a bit cheap I guess

Tunes will sort that out. 

27 minutes ago, 54 said:

It’s bewildering. They were on a par with us the two seasons we had Benitez in the Premier League with an arguably worse team. Not on a par in a ‘but Bruce got the same points’ way, he did it with a system he believed in.