Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

It’s not getting behind Howe at the start that I’m worried about, it’s what happens when he goes 5 games without winning and we’re trying to get loans over the line in January. I should stop doomposting as I’m only winding myself up but I see the future with fiery clarity. 

2 minutes ago, Pilko said:

3 weeks of talks to end up with Howe, we look like a bunch of bloody amateurs. 

I know I will find it difficult to get behind such a painfully insipid appointment.

That's it too. If we replaced Bruce within days and Howe took Spurs I'd have been fine with that, swept away with momentum. Now insipid is the word. Right across the board - club, owners, manager, players, project, fans.

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

We wouldn’t have gone for anyone as good as Howe under Ashley, surely. 

I agree, we would have gladly had Howe rather than steve bruce.

I'm underwhelmed at the thought of Howe in charge now to be honest. But if he stops us from going down it will be a massive achievement.  I'll be 100% him.   

From Telegraph:

Newcastle United have shifted their attention to persuading Eddie Howe to become their new manager after Unai Emery rejected an offer to replace Steve Bruce.

Howe is said to have impressed during his interview at the weekend and there were those involved in the consortium who preferred him to Emery, before a vote marginally favoured the Spaniard.

Interestingly, Howe had prepared a detailed plan of what he would do if he became Newcastle’s manager, which included the areas of recruitment, tactics and coaching methods. It was said to be incredibly detailed and encouraging as it fitted in with the ideas the owners have for the first team squad. 

Whether he has changed his mind about wanting the job given Emery was preferred as first choice remains to be seen, but sources have told Telegraph Sport they do not think that will be the case. Talks have already opened and Howe was assured earlier this week that they had been impressed with his pitch for the job so he is unlikely to be have been soured against the idea.

That should ensure a smooth appointment, although it is unlikely he will be in charge of the team in time to face Brighton this weekend and painful lessons have been learned by Newcastle’s new owners this week.

In an embarrassing public snub, after sources had briefed the Villareal manager would be in charge of the team against Brighton this weekend, Emery killed things with a statement which hinted at how annoyed he and his employers had been at the way things had been handled.

“No matter how much noise there was yesterday in another country,” Emery said. “Within the club [Villareal] there was transparency and loyalty with the Roig family and with my squad, which is maximum and for me is the most important thing. “Villareal CF is my home and I am 100 per cent committed.”

Telegraph Sport revealed on Tuesday that he has been identified as the first choice by the club’s new Saudi Arabian owners, fronted by the financier Amanda Staveley, but insisted there was a long way to go before a deal was concluded.

It was subsequently reported, erroneously, that Emery had effectively agreed to join Newcastle just hours before Villareal played a crucial Champions League game against Young Boys.

Although Emery confirmed there had been interest in him, he was noncommittal in public after the game, but in private he and his team were furious.

Villareal were also incensed that this had all occurred on the day of an important game and in a meeting late on Tuesday night, the two parties agreed he would remain in Spain.

Newcastle tried to revive the deal on Wednesday morning but sources told Telegraph Sport that the chances of his coming were “very slim.”

Talks with Emery’s brother Igor took place before lunchtime, when it was made clear the 50 year-old, who was celebrating his birthday, would not be accepting the offer made to him.

Search for manager threatens to become embarrassing

The public nature of the snub is a huge blow to Staveley, who was front and centre of the recruitment process. 

Having done well to identify Emery as a target, to lose him in such dramatic and untimely fashion does not reflect well on anyone involved.

It is not a mortal blow and teething problems were to be expected,  but Newcastle’s new board must now hope that Howe has not had a change of heart as they need a manager urgently.

Interim manager Graeme Jones does not want to lead the team for much longer and Howe would be a fine alternative given the work he did with Bournemouth.

The 43 year-old has been out of work for the last 18 months and turned down the chance to manage Celtic back in the summer.

Like Emery, he is seen as a good coach, as well as manager, who can improve results before the January transfer window opens. Newcastle have nine games to play before the end of the year and already six points adrift of safety, having not won a game since May.

1 minute ago, Wolfcastle said:

That's it too. If we replaced Bruce within days and Howe took Spurs I'd have been fine with that, swept away with momentum. Now insipid is the word. Right across the board - club, owners, manager, players, project, fans.

Yup. Think i'd have been very on board with Howe in charge against Spurs. Shame its panned out like this.

For what it’s worth I imagine the new owners have gone through a process very similar to what we’ve been through mentally, i.e. initially thinking we could be in play for the absolute cream of the crop and wasting time ruminating on candidates of that ilk, then eventually realizing that Howe or someone similar is probably the best we can get on short notice.

3 minutes ago, Ben said:

Sounds canny tbf

Is this just not another example of the Ashley/Bruce era hangover?

"Man prepares well for job interview" and impresses people purely because the last bloke in post was a laughable bag of shit who could barely be arsed to train the squad. People doing what's normal suddenly dazzles us....

I’ll be honest my disappointment comes from more what I wanted them as new owners to do more than anything. I expected them to come in and be completely ruthless I thought Bruce would be gone immediately and key decisions would be made straight away. I guess the reality is that wasn’t possible.

I will fully get behind Howe but for me his appointment will end in us being relegated.

From Emery to Howe. They don’t have a clue. I don’t even think there’s any real reason to think howe would be a ‘solid’ appointment. He’s only really managed well at Bournemouth and that ended in relegation 

Edited by gdm

Just now, The Prophet said:

Out of interest, if it is Howe, would people rather we'd have gone for Howe from day one or waited for three weeks because we thought we had a chance of landing Emery?

strange question. If it’s to be Howe it’s obviously more advantageous to have him in sooner.

Howe wouldn't have came here under Ashley in a million years.

Howe wouldn't be nowhere near my first choice and his reign at Bournemouth didn't end the best but I feel he has potential as a manager and would do better than people think.

I think it was great we went for Emery but I'm not surprised he turned it down considering where we currently are in the league and his current team are in the Champions League.

Hopefully if Howe does come in, we can get a good DOF in to make the signings (Howe's weak point) and get a good defensive coach in too.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Out of interest, if it is Howe, would people rather we'd have gone for Howe from day one or waited for three weeks because we thought we had a chance of landing Emery?

I don’t see how it has taken 3 weeks to know emery doesn’t want it tbh

5 minutes ago, gdm said:

From Emery to Howe. They don’t have a clue. I don’t even think there’s any real reason to think howe would be a ‘solid’ appointment. He’s only really managed well at Bournemouth and that ended in relegation 

What he did at Bournemouth was an achievement, whatever way people want to spin it.