Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Not sure how many of you manage people but you’re never going to get a response from low on confidence people by berating them in public to further dent their confidence. 

It’s well documented he handles matters like these behind closed doors where they should happen. 

Playing ASM up front was an obvious mistake immediately. It's the kind of thing  FM experts try on the PC and big it up as a good idea, ignoring the reality that ASM doesn't have the awareness or shooting ability to be the main striker

3 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Not sure how many of you manage people but you’re never going to get a response from low on confidence people by berating them in public to further dent their confidence. 

It’s well documented he handles matters like these behind closed doors where they should happen. 

It’s not berating players in public I expected to see. But I certainly didn’t expect to see him try and tell us we played well after losing at home to a team fighting relegation in League One.

Just now, gjohnson said:

Playing ASM up front was an obvious mistake immediately. It's the kind of thing  FM experts try on the PC and big it up as a good idea, ignoring the reality that ASM doesn't have the awareness or shooting ability to be the main striker

While I agree, it seems there wasn’t really any other option. 

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

While I agree, it seems there wasn’t really any other option. 

I'd play Gayle up front before ASM. At least he's got it out of his system before it really costs us.

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

It's pretty clear that this is ultimately the issue.

The new owners ultimately decided to go with a manager whose philosophy is to play attacking football, and they felt that with the signings in January it would ultimately see the teams fortunes turn around, and the fans would appreciate that style more. I still think that will indeed ultimately be the case too.

The alternative would have been to go for a more defensive minded manager to try and grind out results and keep the team up, but then do you just stick with that longer term after? And if they had gone that route would you then back such a manager with players for that style in January if that's not how you ultimately want the side to play going forward?

If they really believe in Howe's philosophy and overall approach then just get him in and let him start building this thing with them from the ground up. If we are able to get players in that then gel better with the manager and keep us up then great, and if not, if we do end up going down for a year then so be it, and we'll just have to re-start from there.

I don’t want to keep saying this but the Rafa approach worked on those guys at that specific time only and we had a far younger squad overall. We also had a better center midfield too. We’re now one of the oldest teams relying on mostly the same players who’ve aged, digressed in talent/form, have suffered major injuries and also have been coached by Bruce for many seasons. 

Hiring a defensive manager could have easily yielded the same stuff. 

I’m still buzzing my mind off at this new version of NUFC, I also believe in Howe and his philosophy and these owners.

Quite honest - I’m disappointed and frustrated with the negligence of the past several years and the ultimate task at hand. I’m angered by the response of these players who didn’t get the result and I’m upset Howe hasn’t done better today and other matches….but todays loss does not define the season. Get more signings in this week and beat watford. 

It's a squad entirely built and designed to work on the counter attack. When teams sit deep against us like today we have absolutely nothing to offer, just try to get wide and cross it to nobody, or get it to a winger to cut in and shoot regardless of whether it's his correct foot or not. Joelinton has looked reasonable in CM on the counter attack when there's space to run into but he offered nothing in that role today, we might as well have put him back up front. I respect Howe for trying to play it his way but it's going to take more than 9 games to change the mentality but also get the right players in for that style of football, as this lot and have mostly got by from being coached within an inch of their life by Rafa and individual moments of brilliance during the Bruce reign of terror.

Edited by Ashley17

2 hours ago, KaKa said:

It's pretty clear that this is ultimately the issue.

The new owners ultimately decided to go with a manager whose philosophy is to play attacking football, and they felt that with the signings in January it would ultimately see the teams fortunes turn around, and the fans would appreciate that style more. I still think that will indeed ultimately be the case too.

The alternative would have been to go for a more defensive minded manager to try and grind out results and keep the team up, but then do you just stick with that longer term after? And if they had gone that route would you then back such a manager with players for that style in January if that's not how you ultimately want the side to play going forward?

If they really believe in Howe's philosophy and overall approach then just get him in and let him start building this thing with them from the ground up. If we are able to get players in that then gel better with the manager and keep us up then great, and if not, if we do end up going down for a year then so be it, and we'll just have to re-start from there.

With Howe I think he clearly sold them a vision but like you say he has a style he wants to play but it's clear it's not suited to our squad.  There is a place and time for us to play nice attacking football but now is not it.  We need results - horrible back to the wall ground out results. 

Edited by duo

7 minutes ago, madras said:

I'd play Gayle up front before ASM. At least he's got it out of his system before it really costs us.

Especially against a League One side - 100% agree.

22 minutes ago, Ashley17 said:

It's a squad entirely built and designed to work on the counter attack. When teams sit deep against us like today we have absolutely nothing to offer, just try to get wide and cross it to nobody, or get it to a winger to cut in and shoot regardless of whether it's his correct foot or not. Joelinton has looked reasonable in CM on the counter attack when there's space to run into but he offered nothing in that role today, we might as well have put him back up front. I respect Howe for trying to play it his way but it's going to take more than 9 games to change the mentality but also get the right players in for that style of football, as this lot and have mostly got by from being coached within an inch of their life by Rafa and individual moments of brilliance during the Bruce reign of terror.

The hope is that a few Howe types - technical defenders, midfielders - can move us to a more efficient and versatile set up. 

Wilson out has created a huge hole, which remained unfilled yesterday. I didn't realise Gayle was out until HT.

No-one has mentioned it, but Joelinton had two efforts from about eight yards out from corners. Both were saved, but they were high quality chances and more often than not you'll score one and get a paper-over-the-other-cracks goal. At the same time, their first (only?) corner sailed over to the back post where our makeshift LB was AWOL and they got a free header. The same LB was lucky to not concede a penalty. So there was the odd good thing in there, but lots of lingering bad we've all seen before.

14 hours ago, Dublin1974 said:

Long term project, that phrase makes me nervous 

Look at Man City. Taken over in 2008. £350m and 3 years before they won a trophy, £510m and 4 years before they won the league.

Gotta stick with him. Love his honesty and work ethic. Just hope he gets a little luck and a few decent players to help him.

Clubs still rotting and he's ageing by the day.

Poor bugger! We've gotta give him our full backing. At least until the Summer.

Edited by Oregon_Geordie

1 minute ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

Gotta stick with him. Love his honesty and work ethic. Just hope he gets a little luck and a few decent players to help him.

Clubs still rotting and he's ageing by the day.

Poor bugger! We've gotta give him our full backing. At least until the Summer.

That’s definitely a blot against him yesterday but our squad is a terrible mix of culture of losing, acceptance of poor standards, and just not good enough. The whole core of the team will need replacing one way or another the next few years. 

I still like what I see and hear from him but the next few weeks are huge with the games coming up.

10 hours ago, ManDoon said:

Pilko is totally entitled to his opinion we shouldn’t be jumping down people’s throats for it imo. 

I’m hardly jumping down his throat am I. I’m asking his opinion on what should be done about the manager he doesn’t feel is right for the job.

i don’t think Ritchie is right for the left back role, so I want him replaced. Is that the answer with Howe too?

people don’t want Howe as manager but don’t want to be seen calling for the sack. What then?

I agree, his record of wins since coming in hasn’t been great especially as we have had some very winnable home games in the run so far. I just don’t see him being sacked no matter which division we end up in next year 

1 minute ago, andyc35i said:

I agree, his record of wins since coming in hasn’t been great especially as we have had some very winnable home games in the run so far. I just don’t see him being sacked no matter which division we end up in next year 

On the point about sacking, we really have no idea what type of owners we have with regards to that, for example say we spend 100 million or more this month, can you really see them accepting relegation?

Catching up with the last few pages and I have to point out that what EH said about the performance was we played ‘OK’. And he added a caveat by saying he realised it might sound odd to a few. He didn’t say we played well, that’s completely different. We’re not in Bruce territory at all man, have a word with yourselves. 

Edited by Dr Venkman

31 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Catching up with the last few pages and I have to point out that what EH said about the performance was we played ‘OK’. And he added a caveat by saying he realised it might sound odd to a few. He didn’t say we played well, that’s completely different. We’re not in Bruce territory at all man, have a word with yourselves. 

:thup: it's not entirely untrue, either, to say we did play "okay" for a good chunk of the game, we were just toothless and went into panic mode towards the end. If we'd taken our chances it could easily have been been 4-1, 5-1, and we're calling it a job done. 

Of course, it does sound daft when you've just lost against a side from the lower leagues. But the problem IMO is less the performance itself and more the bluntness up front, which is only going to be solved by adding new players. 

If you have a squad full of players who are scared of scoring, it doesn't matter what league your opposition are from.