Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

On 09/01/2022 at 15:54, KaKa said:

Howe's system places a big importance on full backs that are forward thinking and that can pass the ball and deliver quality crosses into the box on overlaps. It's why he keeps using Ritchie there, as we legit do not have any other left footed full back with any kind of ability at the minute.

He's started Ritchie three times in eight league games its hardly persistent like, but he does provide a more attacking outlet, particularly at wing back. I do think we'll see Krafth or Dummet there if we're going with a flat back four though.

Arguably our players have played better this season under Bruce than Howe (with obvious exceptions) and i'm wondering if it's because a system where they don't have any clear instructions suits their lack of ability and intelligence, over Howe's approach that relies on tactical nous, following instructions and retaining information?

It was just a passing thought but one i've never really considered before. Can a manager come in and be too technical and tactically demanding for the players he's working with, so much so that they play better under a potato who just tells them to run around a lot?

11 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Arguably our players have played better this season under Bruce than Howe (with obvious exceptions) and i'm wondering if it's because a system where they don't have any clear instructions suits their lack of ability and intelligence, over Howe's approach that relies on tactical nous, following instructions and retaining information?

It was just a passing thought but one i've never really considered before. Can a manager come in and be too technical and tactically demanding for the players he's working with, so much so that they play better under a potato who just tells them to run around a lot?

I think there’s something in that yeah.

But I also think they’ve had half a season of Bruce who didn’t give a shit about even really turning up for training and that lack of drive and keeping things ‘ticking over’ is insidious and rubs off on a team. 

Why even try when your manager is just phoning it in with a half-arsed effort. I think there’s a bit of a hangover from that, plus their fitness will be shite. 

Edited by LV

19 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Apart from ASM, I'm struggling to think of players that have played better?  Low bar, as most of them have been crap and have continued being crap :lol:   It is also quite hard to judge when you look how piss easy most of Bruce's schedule was, in comparison to Howe's, where we have played City, Arsenal, Man U, Liverpool, Leicester and had 10 men for nearly a whole game vs Norwich.  Burnley we won and were ok.  Norwich was good considering.  Brentford was the first game, he wasn't even in the dugout and we should have won bar some individual errors  

On the wider point you're making.  I think it is more to do with coming in mid-season, when the team is already horrendously low on confidence and has been playing a low block, low possession based brand of football for 4-5 years, or whatever it is.  The second half of that after Rafa went and Bruce came in.  The tactics were certainly at a premium and the players looked confused and not sure on what they were supposed to be doing.  I genuinely think the mentality and the mindset of most of these players is shot to bits and they're just programmed to be a bunch of negative losers :lol: mixed in with the fact that a lot of them just aren't very good. 

If Howe came in with a full pre-season, but the same group of players.  I think the results would be different, as would the style of play.  I know the team was built over a longer period.  But look at some of the players he had at Bournemouth and the football he had them playing a lot of the time.  Are these players technically so much worse than them? 

Edited by Lush Vlad

16 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Apart from ASM, I'm struggling to think of players that have played better?  Low bar, as most of them have been crap and have continued being crap :lol:   It is also quite hard to judge when you look how piss easy most of Bruce's schedule was, in comparison to Howe's, where we have played City, Arsenal, Man U, Liverpool, Leicester and had 10 men for nearly a whole game vs Norwich.  Burnley we won and were ok.  Norwich was good considering.  Brentford was the first game, he wasn't even in the dugout and we should have won bar some individual errors  

On the wider point you're making.  I think it is more to do with coming in mid-season, when the team is already horrendously low on confidence and has been playing a low block, low possession based brand of football for 4-5 years, or whatever it is.  The second half of that after Rafa went and Bruce came in.  The tactics were certainly at a premium and the players looked confused and not sure on what they were supposed to be doing.  I genuinely think the mentality and the mindset of most of these players is shot to bits and they're just programmed to be a bunch of negative losers :lol: mixed in with the fact that a lot of them just aren't very good. 

If Howe came in with a full pre-season, but the same group of players.  I think the results would be different, as would the style of play.  I know the team was built over a longer period.  But look at some of the players he had at Bournemouth and the football he had them playing a lot of the time.  Are these players technically so much worse than them? 

Willock. He definitely benefitted from Bruce's lack of tactics/instructions.

3 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Willock. He definitely benefitted from Bruce's lack of tactics/instructions.

Willock has been shite all season, manager is irrelevant on that one. 

19 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

As technically superior as our players might be (at a stretch), they lack pace. Bournemouth had pace throughout the team and that's one thing you can't coach. I'd take lesser players with pace over superior plodders any day of the week in this league.

Willock this season has been a victim of a change in position. He's been dropped to CM and he doesn't have any of the attributes required to play there.

He desperately needs to play at 10, but so does Almiron and obviously only one can. We need a winger and at least one central midfielder to allow these two to not play in the wrong position where they just stink things up.

I won't judge anyone too harshly when played out of position.

1 minute ago, Chris_R said:

Willock this season has been a victim of a change in position. He's been dropped to CM and he doesn't have any of the attributes required to play there.

He desperately needs to play at 10, but so does Almiron and obviously only one can. We need a winger and at least one central midfielder to allow these two to not play in the wrong position where they just stink things up.

Maybe, but that doesn't account for him hoofing the ball over the bar every time he shoots and letting passes run through him. Something else has changed. It's most likely confidence but it could also be ASM playing shit. Everyone looked more alive when ASM was firing, now they just stand there and watch him run himself into cul-de-sacs

1 hour ago, Rich said:

From today's presser for anyone unable to watch, I'll write up some of the good bits while on me lunch:

• Very pleased with Wood signing due to the fact he's experienced and ready to play. He brings something different to what we have and he was Howe's first choice because he's always been an admirer of tall, physical strikers that can provide a platform for the rest of the team to play. Last week against Cambridge we were crying out for a Wood type, who'll also be important in both boxes on set pieces. He knows the league and nothing will surprise him. He's hugely motivated to play here and he has experience in relegation battles, and he's displayed a hugely impressive attitude in the brief chats he's had.

• Not close to bringing in any other signings imminently (i.e. before Watford), so the squad is set for that game. We are looking and we have time left in the window. He knows we need to move quickly and bring in more players. We're still active in the market, but nothing new to report. Diego Carlos was put to him, and Howe totally straight batted it. Seemed a bit peeved that individual names were being put to him, to be honest. DVB was mentioned as a loan possibility by a journalist, and again he said he wouldn't comment on other clubs' players. Played this one a bit coy, interestingly.

• We're not thinking about "not losing" tomorrow, only about winning. Determined to put things right after Cambridge. There are still a few COVID cases in the camp (Gayle, Clark, Darlow, Woodman?) with more testing to be done this afternoon. Lewis and Dummett are both edging closer to a return, but there's nothing negative to report.

• Everyone behind the scenes is working tirelessly to improve the squad and he's really pleased with our business to this point. It's not about quantity, it's about quality. There are clear imbalances in the squad that need to be corrected. He wants options available to allow him to change systems when necessary and to be able to go into every game feeling we can win.

• Trippier has had a massive impact and has already assumed a leadership position. Addressed the group on his first day and spoke very well.

• Reiterated that we signed Wood because we needed a focal point in our attack. Someone who could score goals and lead the line, and give us something different to what we had in the squad. Dodged the question about the release clause. He doesn't worry about fees. All he cares about is finding players with the quality required and then he leaves it up to the executive/recruitment teams to do the deals. Not bothered about weakening Burnley.

• Said nothing is confirmed in terms of the Saudi trip, though there have been discussions about doing a warm-weather camp during that period.

• In terms of whether PIF's wealth is a blessing or a burden he said that it's a burden. When added to the NUFC name, the wealth "people think we have" drives prices up to levels that are uncomfortable. It's also very obvious that we're looking in certain positions, which means that the price goes up further. We've identified and signed two players, with the prices being big but a symptom of the current market. Says the club has to be able to draw a line and walk away from deals if the price gets too silly, otherwise the market would go insane.

• Has no idea how many points it will take for us to survive, but knows we can't survive on draws.

• Asked about Longstaff to Everton and says this is the most intense January window that he has ever experienced. Players exiting may well have to wait until the end of the window once we know where we're at. Spoke highly of Longstaff and says he has a future here. He has to bounce back from Cambridge, though, along with the rest of the team. Will look at the 25-man squad throughout the window, but it's difficult at the moment due to COVID and injuries.

• Is very excited about the players we've brought in and will bring in.

• Dubravka is still the number one and seems like he'll be fine for tomorrow. He's made some very big saves since he joined the club and Howe really likes him. He's a solid, dependable guy and he's looking forward to continuing to work with him. Dodged commenting on his recent mistakes.

• Understood the excitement about the takeover and the potential signings that could come. However, he needed to identify what the team needed with a view to surviving first and foremost so that's what we're working towards. So far, so good, but more work to do.

• Asked what impact the uniqueness of our position being a team at the bottom but having huge wealth has on expectations around his performance (really good question, actually). Howe says it's a mixture and agrees it is a very unique position. From the outside, some people might think it's an easy situation, but it's actually very complex. We have to agree deals with clubs that don't want to sell in January and find players who want to join the battle to stay in the league, which is not an easy sell. The most important thing is signing the right characters.

Good write up Rich

Steve Bruce presser

Rewl wa sleeves up

Work hard

Get the crowd going

Whey yer know

Bacon rolls

Kebabs

Big jer

Keep going

Accumulation of points 

Whey yer know

Not talking to you Craig

I’ve been in this game long enough

Lerk, it is what it is

Hmmmm

Will be tough

Watford are in good form

We will go out and do our best

Whey yer know 

Edited by HTT II

1 hour ago, Rich said:

From today's presser for anyone unable to watch, I'll write up some of the good bits while on me lunch:

• Very pleased with Wood signing due to the fact he's experienced and ready to play. He brings something different to what we have and he was Howe's first choice because he's always been an admirer of tall, physical strikers that can provide a platform for the rest of the team to play. Last week against Cambridge we were crying out for a Wood type, who'll also be important in both boxes on set pieces. He knows the league and nothing will surprise him. He's hugely motivated to play here and he has experience in relegation battles, and he's displayed a hugely impressive attitude in the brief chats he's had.

• Not close to bringing in any other signings imminently (i.e. before Watford), so the squad is set for that game. We are looking and we have time left in the window. He knows we need to move quickly and bring in more players. We're still active in the market, but nothing new to report. Diego Carlos was put to him, and Howe totally straight batted it. Seemed a bit peeved that individual names were being put to him, to be honest. DVB was mentioned as a loan possibility by a journalist, and again he said he wouldn't comment on other clubs' players. Played this one a bit coy, interestingly.

• We're not thinking about "not losing" tomorrow, only about winning. Determined to put things right after Cambridge. There are still a few COVID cases in the camp (Gayle, Clark, Darlow, Woodman?) with more testing to be done this afternoon. Lewis and Dummett are both edging closer to a return, but there's nothing negative to report.

• Everyone behind the scenes is working tirelessly to improve the squad and he's really pleased with our business to this point. It's not about quantity, it's about quality. There are clear imbalances in the squad that need to be corrected. He wants options available to allow him to change systems when necessary and to be able to go into every game feeling we can win.

• Trippier has had a massive impact and has already assumed a leadership position. Addressed the group on his first day and spoke very well.

• Reiterated that we signed Wood because we needed a focal point in our attack. Someone who could score goals and lead the line, and give us something different to what we had in the squad. Dodged the question about the release clause. He doesn't worry about fees. All he cares about is finding players with the quality required and then he leaves it up to the executive/recruitment teams to do the deals. Not bothered about weakening Burnley.

• Said nothing is confirmed in terms of the Saudi trip, though there have been discussions about doing a warm-weather camp during that period.

• In terms of whether PIF's wealth is a blessing or a burden he said that it's a burden. When added to the NUFC name, the wealth "people think we have" drives prices up to levels that are uncomfortable. It's also very obvious that we're looking in certain positions, which means that the price goes up further. We've identified and signed two players, with the prices being big but a symptom of the current market. Says the club has to be able to draw a line and walk away from deals if the price gets too silly, otherwise the market would go insane.

• Has no idea how many points it will take for us to survive, but knows we can't survive on draws.

• Asked about Longstaff to Everton and says this is the most intense January window that he has ever experienced. Players exiting may well have to wait until the end of the window once we know where we're at. Spoke highly of Longstaff and says he has a future here. He has to bounce back from Cambridge, though, along with the rest of the team. Will look at the 25-man squad throughout the window, but it's difficult at the moment due to COVID and injuries.

• Dubravka is still the number one and seems like he'll be fine for tomorrow. He's made some very big saves since he joined the club and Howe really likes him. He's a solid, dependable guy and he's looking forward to continuing to work with him. Dodged commenting on his recent mistakes.

• Understood the excitement about the takeover and the potential signings that could come. However, he needed to identify what the team needed with a view to surviving first and foremost so that's what we're working towards. So far, so good, but more work to do.

• Asked what impact the uniqueness of our position being a team at the bottom but having huge wealth has on expectations around his performance (really good question, actually). Howe says it's a mixture and agrees it is a very unique position. From the outside, some people might think it's an easy situation, but it's actually very complex. We have to agree deals with clubs that don't want to sell in January and find players who want to join the battle to stay in the league, which is not an easy sell. The most important thing is signing the right characters.

Tldr/Is it available to watch anywhere? 

12 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Agree, said the same thing yesterday. But if it's a choice between Willock and Almiron for that number 10 position, for me it would be Willock every time. At least you know he's got that goal in him, with Almiron, if he was coming off the bench when you are behind, you already know it's game over. 

11 minutes ago, TRon said:

Agree, said the same thing yesterday. But if it's a choice between Willock and Almiron for that number 10 position, for me it would be Willock every time. At least you know he's got that goal in him, with Almiron, if he was coming off the bench when you are behind, you already know it's game over. 

Yeah I'd play Willock too, but I still think there's a decent player somewhere in Almiron. Whether it's too late for him here or not though is a big question. I suspect it might be, because our trajectory if we stay up might make him superfluous.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Clark definitely not Covid as he was with Wilson in the gym I go to yesterday.

Normally see the players that are injured in there using the pool and spa facilities etc, so assume he’s out tomorrow. 

4 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Clark definitely not Covid as he was with Wilson in the gym I go to yesterday.

Normally see the players that are injured in there using the pool and spa facilities etc, so assume he’s out tomorrow. 

get a new bastard training ground built