Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Called it back in November. He’ll be the new Keegan.

The parallels are uncanny. Young manager of 43 (Keegan was 41 when he took us over), with the task of keeping us in the division. Wants to play attacking football and seems to be a real man manager. There’s a long long way to go, but it certainly feels like he ‘gets it’, in much the same way as Keegan did, SBR did and to a lesser extend Hughton and Rafa. 

The next few years or going to be a wild ride. I just need to work out how I’m getting this season ticket back [emoji38]

2 hours ago, Menace said:

I respect him for dropping people like Ritchie & Lascelles. It takes some absolute balls to drop your captain. I hope he doesn't change the CB pairing, they've been relatively comfortable.

Small point, but I've seen a lot of people say this. Lascelles isn't his captain, he's Bruce's. He hasn't dropped 'his' captain.

13 hours ago, Chris_R said:

I've lived in Bournemouth for over a decade after leaving the North East, and he's a legend down here.

I've wanted him to get a chance to manage Newcastle for a long time, before Bournemouth even got to the PL, and I'm delighted that he is now our manager.

I'm also very pleased that he's doing so well, however I will say that I'm not remotely surprised. I've seen first hand what Howe can do to a club.

Anecdote time: In October 2014, toward the end of Alan Pardew's reign of horror, I got into a massive argument with a guy in a bar overseas in Fujairah, who mocked me for wanting rid of him. He was asking who we could possibly get who was better, I guess he hoped I'd name someone unrealistic and he could then mock me for being deluded but straight away I said Howe, even though Bournemouth were in the Championship at the time, because I knew he was a rising star. He'd never heard of Howe, which I guess was fair enough, but he still laughed and said I was being stupid and we should keep Pardew and intimated that because he'd never heard of Howe he must be crap and worse than Pardew. I hope he remembers that conversation now.

Needless to say, you had the last laugh.

The tactical ploy worked perfectly, with Willock revealing it was the result of some pre-prepared work in training over the last few weeks, with Howe setting up a range of different scenarios, one of which required his players to attack against ten men.

“The manager’s installed that in us,” said Willock, who claimed Newcastle’s second goal at the end of a lightning-sharp counter-attacking move. “We create those scenarios in training every day.

“We try to work on different scenarios, and the manager has installed in us that when something like that happens, we need to get it wide, get crosses in the box and finish our chances. I thought we did that, and could have got a few more goals, but we’re happy to have got the clean sheet and another three points.”

Said ages ago that the Leicester game was our only bad game under Howe because Leicester were in terrible form.

We also had 3 bits of terrible refereeing in Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool games. Should have had 3 penalties IIRC.

You could argue that its astonishing how badly Bruce did, given Howes results.

Just now, Mike said:

Spin: Howe is unbeaten in winnable games?

Arsenal we have a shit record at yet we should've had a pen at 0-0 in the first half. Poor second half but not a fixture you could count as winnable.

Leicester was very poor, given the season they're having by their standards, their defensive record et al. Probably a fixture you'd fancy us in now. But they are still the team that have finished 5th the last 2 seasons running and at 0-0 they got a nonsensical penalty when 0-0 would've been a fair reflection of that game at half time. But the second half was poor.

Man City and Liverpool are more or less write offs, they certainly were when we played them. Yet more absolutely wank refereeing cost us and the scorelines in those games are unfair reflections imo.

2 minutes ago, STM said:

Said ages ago that the Leicester game was our only bad game under Howe because Leicester were in terrible form.

We also had 3 bits of terrible refereeing in Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool games. Should have had 3 penalties IIRC.

You could argue that its astonishing how badly Bruce did, given Howes results.

Brentford, Norwich and Watford at home weren't great like. His team selections were iffy, Clark shouldn't have been anywhere near SJP, never mind in the starting lineup.

I wasn't a fan at all until this run kicked in. But now you can absolutely see the changes he's made are working and he's setting us up absolutely perfectly against some decent sides. We're pressing and attacking weak sides whilst retaining some defensive solidity, unthinkable under Bacon as he repeatedly told us that was impossible. It's so refreshing to see that we're now picking up points because of the manager again, not in spite of him. On top of all that he comes across a really nice bloke, not that it really matters, but it makes you root for him and the team that little bit more. Great to hear stories of unity in the squad, the non-playing staff and the boardroom. I don't think we've properly had that since the mid 90's.

3 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Brentford, Norwich and Watford at home weren't great like. His team selections were iffy, Clark shouldn't have been anywhere near SJP, never mind in the starting lineup.

I wasn't a fan at all until this run kicked in. But now you can absolutely see the changes he's made are working and he's setting us up absolutely perfectly against some decent sides. We're pressing and attacking weak sides whilst retaining some defensive solidity, unthinkable under Bacon as he repeatedly told us that was impossible. It's so refreshing to see that we're now picking up points because of the manager again, not in spite of him. On top of all that he comes across a really nice bloke, not that it really matters, but it makes you root for him and the team that little bit more. Great to hear stories of unity in the squad, the non-playing staff and the boardroom. I don't think we've properly had that since the mid 90's.

Disagree with some of that like. Brentford (h) tbf was organised chaos, absolutely mental game of football but Howe wasn't able to actually be there. 2, arguably all 3 of Brentford's goals were Darlow's fault. Darlow has since not featured. Also in that game was the start of Joelinton's unbelievable turnaround, he was unreal that day. 

Even with 10 men against Norwich we deserved to win, certainly would've done so 11 v 11. And regarding Clark, aye, shouldn't be anywhere near the ground anymore. But new managers tend to find out about their teams through in game situations, for example Benitez picked Steven Taylor for his first 4 games before getting rid after he cost us goals against Southampton (a).

Watford was poor though, especially the 2nd half. 

The United boss has hailed the support shown from the terraces and believes it ‘does not get any better than managing the club right now.

“We’ve been made to feel very welcome,” Howe told Football Focus.

“I've loved every second of the challenge of managing this club, it is a truly memorable experience.

“I have to compliment the supporters. From day one they have really united around the team. Every home game, away game, they've been incredible.

“It's been an incredible experience and is everything that I thought it would be.

“Managing Newcastle United Football Club… I don't think it gets any better.”

To think of how nervous I was towards the end of that Burnley game, literally feeling like it was a champions league final in those last few minutes, really struggling to have the belief and relaxation of holding on to a win, now its seems a different world. He's installed an on-the-pitch organization that we haven't seen since Rafa. 

If we go a goal down I know 100% that we can get still turn it around, this must be how the players feel. He's done so much work in just a few months, just incredible. 

If anyone deserves to announce "judge me after 10 games" it's this fucking guy right here. 

18 minutes ago, huss9 said:

The United boss has hailed the support shown from the terraces and believes it ‘does not get any better than managing the club right now.

“I've loved every second of the challenge of managing this club, it is a truly memorable experience.

“I have to compliment the supporters. From day one they have really united around the team. Every home game, away game, they've been incredible.

“It's been an incredible experience and is everything that I thought it would be.

Whole interview from 28:30. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0014zyv/football-focus-26022022

Yeah, one or two matches where you might have liked more from the game, but that Leicester result is the only real stand out blip thus far. They weren't in great form, they had just returned back from Naples on the Thursday after the disappointment of exiting the Europa League, we had just recorded our first win of the season the week prior, and then Evans got injured after about 3 minutes - I was weirdly kind of hoping / expecting a win at the start of that match, but was pretty concerned after, however 5 wins, 4 draws and only 1 defeat (19 points) from his 10 games outside of the 'big 6' is pretty incredibly really.

37 minutes ago, huss9 said:

He’s class, wor Eddie. :aww:

3 hours ago, STM said:

The Leicester defeat hurt a lot because it immediately destroyed the momentum from finally getting the first win against Burnley. However, it too started with a terrible decision, the pen for that blatant dive by Madison. A couple of individual errors second half gave them a 4-0 that flattered them.

The other big "panic stations" moment under Howe was the Watford equalizer. In hindsight, it was a well-taken goal and well played by them, just one of those things, but at the time it felt like yet more points dropped and symbolic of us being incapable of winning. I don't think anyone could have foreseen the complete turn around we've had since, so credit to Howe and everyone, because it felt very dark at the final whistle. That was Jan 16, so just six weeks ago. Our record after that game was P20 W1 D9 L10 F20 A43 Pts 12

9 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Arsenal we have a shit record at yet we should've had a pen at 0-0 in the first half. Poor second half but not a fixture you could count as winnable.

Leicester was very poor, given the season they're having by their standards, their defensive record et al. Probably a fixture you'd fancy us in now. But they are still the team that have finished 5th the last 2 seasons running and at 0-0 they got a nonsensical penalty when 0-0 would've been a fair reflection of that game at half time. But the second half was poor.

Man City and Liverpool are more or less write offs, they certainly were when we played them. Yet more absolutely wank refereeing cost us and the scorelines in those games are unfair reflections imo.

I still can't understand how Fraser can get taken out by the keeper and nothing be given. "Well he was never getting the ball" seems to be the only argument people have :lol:

9 minutes ago, Paully said:

Manager of the month for February surely?!

Took 10 points from a possible 12.

Liverpool won all 4 games but to be expected from them.

Burnley took 9 from a possible 15, only lost to Liverpool but drew with Man-U and beat Spurs.

No doubt probably a bit biased but has to be Howe for me.

1 hour ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Took 10 points from a possible 12.

Liverpool won all 4 games but to be expected from them.

Burnley took 9 from a possible 15, only lost to Liverpool but drew with Man-U and beat Spurs.

No doubt probably a bit biased but has to be Howe for me.

You could justify any of Klopp, Dyche or Howe. I'd love to see Howe get it, but I'd be perfectly happy if he won it next month instead. :)