Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

International management doesn't seem very sought after these days. What world class managers are there managing one right now? Southgate is of a very high standard compared to his peers imo.

8 minutes ago, Conjo said:

International management doesn't seem very sought after these days. What world class managers are there managing one right now? Southgate is of a very high standard compared to his peers imo.

Van Gaal, Flick, Mancini (Deschamps?) are all better than Gareth, imo.

edit- Luis Enrique too.

Edited by Manxst

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

He should walk it.

Honourable shout out to Ralph, but our overall transformation has to be taken into account.

Will go to Klopp. The scousers take a leave of absence at work to knock down doors and pay homeless people to vote for him, like they did with Salah's goal vs Everton for the puskas award

Guest HTT II
10 minutes ago, HUGZ said:

I do kind of understand this viewpoint. we've got an unbelievable squad, and any half-decent manager could probably get a tune out of them. He got schooled in the final, but there's a lot more to being an England manager than what happens on the pitch, and he does everything else brilliantly. so he gets a bit of a pass, for me.

wouldn't want him anywhere near us, like. he'd get eaten alive in the Prem.

Thats one thing I worried about with Howe when we appointed him, that our job would be too big for him to handle in terms of the culture of our job, the culture of being a big one city club where it’s 24-7 attention, and he’s pissed it really thus far in just how well he’s handled it. I’ll say the same of Southgate who has done the same and even more with arguably the most difficult job in world football. I believe it’s how they carry themselves, and they both do it well. Compare and contrast to the likes of Bruce and Big Sam, both made from the same cloth really.

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

Thats one thing I worried about with Howe when we appointed him, that our job would be too big for him to handle in terms of the culture of our job, the culture of being a big one city club where it’s 24-7 attention, and he’s pissed it really thus far in just how well he’s handled it. I’ll say the same of Southgate who has done the same and even more with arguably the most difficult job in world football. I believe it’s how they carry themselves, and they both do it well. Compare and contrast to the likes of Bruce and Big Sam, both made from the same cloth really.

I just meant tactically more than anything. Howe is on a different level to Southgate, imo.

Guest HTT II
3 minutes ago, HUGZ said:

I just meant tactically more than anything. Howe is on a different level to Southgate, imo.

I dunno, I think he’d outsmart most, I mean Gerrard and Lampard for example or no tactical masterminds and nor are most managers in the PL. I agree about Howe, but even then he’s limited tactically too. That said, he’s shown he will learn or is willing to learn and he’s still young so his tactical acumen can hopefully develop. I’ve been Impressed with him tactically.

3 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Got us to the final for me! 

It's funny how with some people Southgate only ever gets the criticism for not winning the tournament and not the credit for getting there in the first place. You'd think England were regularly getting to semis and finals before he came along, or that we'd got to semis and finals in spite of Southgate wouldn't you?

That's not even to say that he doesn't have his weaknesses, because he obviously does, but people seem to want to have it both ways - embracing his failures and rejecting his successes.

15 minutes ago, Manxst said:

edit- Luis Enrique too.

I don't know much about Flick, but can you really say any ot the others are world class? Van Gaal and Mancini only went into international management again after failing at club level. Deschamps did well at Monaco, but did nothing spectacular at Juve with a superior team in lower leagues. He failed at Marseille. Enrique failed at Roma but got results with the best team in the world. They may be better than Southgate, but I wouldn't consider them a class above him.

41 minutes ago, HUGZ said:

I do kind of understand this viewpoint. we've got an unbelievable squad, and any half-decent manager could probably get a tune out of them. He got schooled in the final, but there's a lot more to being an England manager than what happens on the pitch, and he does everything else brilliantly. so he gets a bit of a pass, for me.

Whey this is my point basically if he isn't good enough for us or probably any other Premierleague club why is he good enough for England. Also get your other point especially after the fat Sam fiasco they probably wanted some one more clean cut but football should still come first.

38 minutes ago, Conjo said:

I don't know much about Flick, but can you really say any ot the others are world class? Van Gaal and Mancini only went into international management again after failing at club level. Deschamps did well at Monaco, but did nothing spectacular at Juve with a superior team in lower leagues. He failed at Marseille. Enrique failed at Roma but got results with the best team in the world. They may be better than Southgate, but I wouldn't consider them a class above him.

They are all many classes above him man.

We started the month in 17th - wins over Everton, Villa and Brentford and a draw at West Ham.

Liverpool started the month in 2nd - wins over Norwich, Burnley, Leeds and Leicester.

It'll be scandalous if Eddie doesn't get it!

Regarding the Southgate patter, I think I've mentioned before that he's one of those whose more or less a perfect fit for his current job. Managers just fit certain clubs or jobs, Southgate and England, Klopp and Liverpool, Allegri and Juventus, et cetera. I think atm, Howe is seeming the perfect fit for us right now; his philosophy, work ethic, the way he speaks about the club and fans and seems a man of integrity. 

Southgate I feel wouldn't work back in club management, the England lads seem to really like him and in 2 tournaments under him we've reach the semi final and a final which is lightyears from Hodgson, Capello and all of his predecessors back to SBR. 

2 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

It's funny how with some people Southgate only ever gets the criticism for not winning the tournament and not the credit for getting there in the first place. You'd think England were regularly getting to semis and finals before he came along, or that we'd got to semis and finals in spite of Southgate wouldn't you?

That's not even to say that he doesn't have his weaknesses, because he obviously does, but people seem to want to have it both ways - embracing his failures and rejecting his successes.

Please explain why we finished 5th under Pardew.

2 hours ago, Manxst said:

edit- Luis Enrique too.

Deschamps is fucking horrendous.

2 hours ago, HUGZ said:

Have to agree with this.

2 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Please explain why we finished 5th under Pardew.

You're suggesting that a success record of 2 in 2 (a World Cup semi final, and a Euro final) is comparable to a success record of 1 in 4 for us and about 2 in 13 overall.

He's not going anywhere lol 

1. He has the complete backing of the richest owners in world football who explicitly want to back him to build a title winning side in the long term

2. He's had a good few months. There is still the possibility it all goes to to shit and we go down. 

I mean imagine being Eddie Howe, a few months ago he was out of work and not necessarily fancied to get a job soon. Now he is setting up transfer targets and plans without money being a worry. Jesus christ must feel the luckiest man on the planet.

5 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Regarding the Southgate patter, I think I've mentioned before that he's one of those whose more or less a perfect fit for his current job. Managers just fit certain clubs or jobs, Southgate and England, Klopp and Liverpool, Allegri and Juventus, et cetera. I think atm, Howe is seeming the perfect fit for us right now; his philosophy, work ethic, the way he speaks about the club and fans and seems a man of integrity. 

Southgate I feel wouldn't work back in club management, the England lads seem to really like him and in 2 tournaments under him we've reach the semi final and a final which is lightyears from Hodgson, Capello and all of his predecessors back to SBR. 

Yeah, if I was moving Southgate anywhere it would be upstairs into a technical role with England.

I think a case study of his time with the U21s is a good explainer on where he thrives and struggles. He helped establish a good culture there, ushered in some very promising talent, but tactically he was lacking. Dare I say it's something similar with the senior side. He's not a terrible coach per-se, but he does struggle in those finer detail moments when it comes to game management and the like. Even our run to the Euros wasn't that scintillating. I think he's a bit timid when the pressure is on.

Has to be said there are problems with southgate, but it is also a very good evidence of just clear headed thinking on what the team should be, developing a good ethos and team spirit and not letting noise keep swapping round the team or keep trying new formations/new players demanded by media get in teh way of the focus. His in game management is still a bit dubious but I am guilty of being furious at Sterling being kept on despite slump in club form and then he goes on to be one of the best performers.

Edited by Tiresias

8 hours ago, Conjo said:

You wouldn’t consider Roberto Mancini a class above Gareth Southgate? Are you on drugs?