Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Guest HTT II
15 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I'll give it a go.

Looking back to the start of this season, when Ashley and Bruce were still here and how toxic the club was mainly in around September I was screaming for Howe to take over from Bruce. Looking back I thought he may have taken the job even with Ashley, but given how he looked for the right job after his time out of work I doubt he would've done. I've always rated him, his achievements at Bournemouth are so vastly underrated. What he did there is something you'd probably only see on Football Manager: taking a club from administration in League 2 (granted he left then came back when they were in League 1) to the Premier League and keeping them in the Premier League for 5 seasons playing attacking football is as good an achievement as winning a bit of silverware for me. But given this country's media and supporters' myopic view of managers where only the final outcomes are looked at rather than the whole context he was never going to be given credit that he probably deserved. He oversaw the greatest period in Bournemouth's history and that's the bottom line. And to achieve what he did there is some doing; building multiple squads for various leagues, improving players, maintaining their attacking identity, it's all the hallmarks of a fantastic coach. 

Now Bournemouth imo were always going to go down eventually and that's no fault of Howe's. Given the size of that club without meaning disrespect there was always going to be a ceiling in terms of revenue, the type of player they could attract et cetera. Even still, they would've stayed up had they not had so many injuries over the 2019-20 season and/or the goal line technology was switched on at Villa Park. 

Now it was mentioned in the discussion of my post about English football and managers post-Guardiola that the young, progressive, modern coaches such as Howe, Potter, many others in the Championship are the complete antithesis of the likes of Bruce, Pardew, Allardyce because they go out of their way to improve themselves rather than just searching for their next pay day. Potter went to Ostersunds in Sweden for his first job: completely unheard of for young English managers to go abroad for their first job. Howe spent his time out watching his training sessions at Bournemouth back, going over to Spain and watching Simeone work at Atleti, watching Andoni Iraola work at Rayo Vallecano who has brought a relatively small club into La Liga and got to the semi finals of the Copa del Rey. Iraola said of Howe;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10212107/Rayo-Vallecano-coach-Andoni-Iraola-opens-tremendous-Radamel-Falcao-teams-rise-LaLiga.html

Amongst that, this is what he also was doing prior to being interviewed and appointed here, remember that it was Al-Rumayyan who was wowed by his knowledge and attention to detail in how he'd improve us.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/11/05/incoming-newcastle-boss-eddie-howe-set-road-tyneside-diego-simeone/

Now if you look at how he's improved the team in it's general play, I've included some graphs that are spoilered amongst the fact that Newcastle are unbeaten this year and are sitting at the 'points collected in top 5 leagues this year' table with Liverpool, Barcelona and Sevilla. Above Manchester City.

Hide contents

Pre Brighton, this is from the Athletic on Joelinton.

From the Athletic on Schar.

Such a minute thing, but on the team photos after wins from the Athletic.

Out attacking play from out wide from the Brentford (a), clearly coached us to exploit overloads on weaker flanks.

Reveal hidden contents

Jn9C1I7.png

yB75UFJ.png

VmNtnQM.png

Now this on our passing structure. Look at the mess under Bruce. Then look at the clear structure under Howe, even when it didn't work against Watford.

Reveal hidden contents

Fx4T85i.png

lheiulX.png

It's also clear to see that tactically he's good; Leeds (a), West Ham (a), Brentford (a), Brighton (h), Southampton (a). The performances in those games weren't flawless but we picked up 13 points in them. Some of them like Leeds (a) and last night were pure Benitez in terms of picking up those points and grinding out those wins without being swashbuckling. Against good sides too. Brighton had only lost 2 away games before coming to SJP. Southampton had only lost 1 home game before last night. 

And we're still away from what he eventually wants us to be; a side that controls possession, scores goals, plays open attacking football that's pleasing on the eye. We'll get there when we get a better quality in player in the transfer market. His work ethic and his demand on the training ground is akin also to peak Benitez but also commands a philosophy more akin to Keegan. Him and Tindall already seem to me to have a Keegan-Terry Mac dynamic. The way he speaks about the supporters and the club is lightyears away from the patronising bell ends of Bruce and Souness and the belittling shite from Pardew. It's more like Keegan, Benitez, SBR, Hughton, Roeder. He has all the traits to be one of a kind here.

I'll finish this whole thing on this from .com after Brentford as it sums up his time so far so well. And who knows what the future holds.

"What is more than evident though is that he's [Howe] earned the gratitude of the Geordie Nation; restoring a connection with their team and making the matchday experience pleasurable again. For that, we're thankful.

I love this post, for a young lad, you’re one of the most knowledgable posters on here with a mind for the mechanics of football way beyond what someone like Bruce who won it all as a player and has over 1000 games as a manager and that’s says it all about him that some young Toon fan knows more about the mechanics of the game than he ever will. Great post :clap:

Edited by HTT II

23 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

I think it's pretty likely he'll get a contract extension in the summer 

I certainly wouldn't complain but it seems the new owners are fairly conservative with their contracts if January was anything to go by. Can see them waiting until the following summer when he's had a full season under his belt. 

6 hours ago, HTT II said:

I love this post, for a young lad, you’re one of the most knowledgable posters on here with a mind for the mechanics of football way beyond what someone like Bruce who won it all as a player and has over 1000 games as a manager and that’s says it all about him that some young Toon fan knows more about the mechanics of the game than he ever will. Great post :clap:

HTT finds the spiritual heir to his essay-posting throne. Beautiful times!

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, greydos said:

HTT finds the spiritual heir to his essay-posting throne. Beautiful times!

@HaydnNUFCis far more wise beyond his years than I was at his age and even now, but he’s a worthy successor to my tl;dr title!

Edited by HTT II

When Harry met Eddie.. about 20 seconds in Redknapp says "from 92nd in the league, 17 point deduction, you're preparing to play Newcastle tomorrow in the Premier League."

Talk about things coming full circle

Edited by Shelveys Hair

10 minutes ago, 54 said:

Feels like a slight dig at Bruce that :lol:

There's a lot to take in with the club/team's transformation but one thing stands out even above results. That's the players' commentary of the present. You can just see, man. It's like someone's flicked a switch. Even though they might have liked cabbageheed they, now, know he was killing them. Lights are on now.

Edited by Groundhog63

I thought it was pretty damning of Bruce in Dubravka’s interview where he said everything is a lot more professional now and they now play ‘modern football and not just kicking it long and fighting for everything, for the second balls’.

Something along those lines anyway. 

I’m still so angry about Bruce man :lol:

Just now, LV said:

I thought it was pretty damning of Bruce in Dubravka’s interview where he said everything is a lot more professional now and they now play ‘modern football and not just kicking it long and fighting for everything, for the second balls’.

Something along those lines anyway. 

I’m still so angry about Bruce man :lol:

I'm still angry about Souness, Pardew, Kinnear, Carver, MClaren etc, there's no way I'm getting over Bruce any time soon [emoji38]

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

This man has made me fall in love with football again. 

This is kinda it for me. We can put all the winning to one side, it's the professionalism he's brought back to the club making us feel like a real football club and one that I can actually be proud to follow. Even just re-installing respect from the players to the fans and vice versa.