Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

2 hours ago, Beth said:

One thing though, those selfies of the team in the dressing rooms after a win need to be knocked on the head, they're small time as fuck.

They are exactly the opposite of that.

They are fantastic, big time, such an absolutely G R E A T thing to do !!!

Fuck out of here having any type of dig at Howe/staff/players for the dressing room pictures after a win. It shows the united team/staff and the fans are feeding off this energy. I love it. Nothing small time about it. 

4 hours ago, Ginola said:

He's made football enjoyable again 

More than that. You can walk into any city again and be proud to say you are Newcastle fan again. Not just in England either.

3 minutes ago, St1pe said:

I’m quite enjoying the comments from other fans saying he’s bought the award. We were almost universally mocked for our signings in January but now we’ve bought success [emoji38]

But but but £90 million and only half of that spend has spent most of the run injured or on the bench!!! It's a mockery of the league, I tell you!

3 hours ago, Beth said:

Fair play to him, I'm his biggest critic but he seems to have turned it round for now and got the squad fully onside.

One thing though, those selfies of the team in the dressing rooms after a win need to be knocked on the head, they're small time as fuck.

Small time? No, you don’t seem to understand. From now on we define what is big time. In 3,4, 5 years’ time, other clubs and their fans will be looking at us and saying: “yeah, winners take photos in the changing room after the game. Winners do what newcastle do.”

Thing is, the money we spent in Jan was ours. It was money made by the club over the years of penny pinching and there's still more where that came from. 

Give it a few windows when we really are buying the league. Cannit wait. 

8 hours ago, greydos said:

Please do write that novel; my appetite for consuming content about Eddie and Newcastle right now is more than the vast internet can satisfy! 

I'll give it a go.

Looking back to the start of this season, when Ashley and Bruce were still here and how toxic the club was mainly in around September I was screaming for Howe to take over from Bruce. Looking back I thought he may have taken the job even with Ashley, but given how he looked for the right job after his time out of work I doubt he would've done. I've always rated him, his achievements at Bournemouth are so vastly underrated. What he did there is something you'd probably only see on Football Manager: taking a club from administration in League 2 (granted he left then came back when they were in League 1) to the Premier League and keeping them in the Premier League for 5 seasons playing attacking football is as good an achievement as winning a bit of silverware for me. But given this country's media and supporters' myopic view of managers where only the final outcomes are looked at rather than the whole context he was never going to be given credit that he probably deserved. He oversaw the greatest period in Bournemouth's history and that's the bottom line. And to achieve what he did there is some doing; building multiple squads for various leagues, improving players, maintaining their attacking identity, it's all the hallmarks of a fantastic coach. 

Now Bournemouth imo were always going to go down eventually and that's no fault of Howe's. Given the size of that club without meaning disrespect there was always going to be a ceiling in terms of revenue, the type of player they could attract et cetera. Even still, they would've stayed up had they not had so many injuries over the 2019-20 season and/or the goal line technology was switched on at Villa Park. 

Now it was mentioned in the discussion of my post about English football and managers post-Guardiola that the young, progressive, modern coaches such as Howe, Potter, many others in the Championship are the complete antithesis of the likes of Bruce, Pardew, Allardyce because they go out of their way to improve themselves rather than just searching for their next pay day. Potter went to Ostersunds in Sweden for his first job: completely unheard of for young English managers to go abroad for their first job. Howe spent his time out watching his training sessions at Bournemouth back, going over to Spain and watching Simeone work at Atleti, watching Andoni Iraola work at Rayo Vallecano who has brought a relatively small club into La Liga and got to the semi finals of the Copa del Rey. Iraola said of Howe;

Eddie Howe, who spent a week watching Rayo Vallecano train in addition to observing Diego Simeone and Atletico Madrid prior to being named Newcastle coach. 

'We spent a lot of time talking and exchanging ideas, learning off each other. But above all I was learning from him because he has lots of experience in the Premier League which for me is very valuable,' Iraola says.

'We spoke about certain games he had and the best way to approach matches against the top teams. I wanted to learn his methods of training and he made a big impression on me. 

'I'm delighted that not long after he got an opportunity with Newcastle and I'm convinced he's going to do well there. He told me he has been educating himself in this time without a team, analysing many aspects of the game, and I wish him all the best.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10212107/Rayo-Vallecano-coach-Andoni-Iraola-opens-tremendous-Radamel-Falcao-teams-rise-LaLiga.html

Amongst that, this is what he also was doing prior to being interviewed and appointed here, remember that it was Al-Rumayyan who was wowed by his knowledge and attention to detail in how he'd improve us.

And so Howe has spent a sizable part of the past year reflecting on what he did right and what he did wrong at Bournemouth, particularly in that painful final season. That has meant re-watching their matches and reassessing the training sessions, of which all were carefully logged, to better understand how his players reacted to what he had been trying to achieve.

Howe has his own football philosophy document and, in also watching plenty of football, often live with his two boys, he has been constantly updating his own attacking vision for the game.

He has taken time to visit other clubs and understand how they work, notably Diego Simeone’s Atletico Madrid. The Argentine coach has proved himself one of the masters of adaptation, taking on the big two in Spain with a distinctive style of play that has yielded great success, including two league titles. Howe also visited another Madrid club, Rayo Vallecano, who were promoted last season to La Liga. At Vallecano he has encountered a different kind of coach, albeit one whose journey is similar to his own.

Andoni Iraola, 39, briefly a Spain international in his playing days, not only has got Vallecano promoted from the second tier but the club, who have spent more time out of the first tier over their history, are currently sixth in Liga – vastly outperforming their budget.

Two days were also spent at Liverpool including a meeting with the architect of the club’s golden recruitment era, technical director Michael Edwards. Howe recognises that recruitment will be critical for Newcastle, especially when the club try to navigate this next January transfer window, and he will also know that it was an area which faltered to some extent towards the end of his Bournemouth tenure.

At Liverpool he also met Alex Inglethorpe, the club’s academy director. He wanted to understand how the club have overhauled their structure over the past decade to a level that is allowing them to overcome the financial disadvantages and compete so consistently with Manchester City.

He has already spent long hours assessing the Newcastle players and there would be immediate familiar faces in Callum Wilson, Ryan Fraser and Matt Ritchie, three players whose careers he has already influenced hugely.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/11/05/incoming-newcastle-boss-eddie-howe-set-road-tyneside-diego-simeone/

Now if you look at how he's improved the team in it's general play, I've included some graphs that are spoilered amongst the fact that Newcastle are unbeaten this year and are sitting at the 'points collected in top 5 leagues this year' table with Liverpool, Barcelona and Sevilla. Above Manchester City.

Pre Brighton, this is from the Athletic on Joelinton.

In 2021, Newcastle conceded 80 goals, the most by a Premier League side in a calendar year. So far in 2022, they have shipped three, the fewest in the top flight, and have kept three clean sheets in six matches. As impressive as the back line has been, Howe regards the disciplined midfield as the biggest contributing factor.

Under Howe, for players who have played more than 300 minutes, Joelinton averages, per 90, the most tackles attempted (4.5), the second-most successful tackles (2.1), the second-must duels won (9.7), the third-most aerials won (2.1), the fourth-most possessions won (6.6) and the fourth-most possessions won in the final third (0.5).

From the Athletic on Schar.

Those at the training ground have seen a transformation in Schar’s demeanour. The defender’s mood is often outwardly perceptible and, while his manner oozed frustration pre-Howe, club sources state that they have “never see him smile so much”.

Tellingly, when asked about whether he was happy at Newcastle after a difficult start to the season, Schar told NUFC TV with a smirk, “I think you see it on the pitch, no?”

Those remarks came after the 2-1 victory over Brighton, his eighth consecutive start, and Schar has already played more minutes this season (1,420) than he did throughout 2020-21. While the previous head coach never appeared convinced by Schar, believing he often failed to perform fundamental defensive duties, Howe has made his trust in him clear.

Interestingly, it is perhaps the first time during Schar’s Newcastle career that he has felt valued. Rarely has the adoration many supporters have shown towards Schar been replicated by his managers, who felt his proactive nature in and out of possession sometimes led to rashness.

A change in defensive approach, to make Newcastle more of a pressing side, appears to have benefited Schar. While he is tackling less frequently (0.9 tackles per 90, down from 1.4 last season), he is making significantly more interceptions (3.7, up from 1.6) and clearances (5.3, up from 4.6). Schar is also winning more aerial duels (2.2, up from 1.5) and at a higher rate (51.5 per cent, up from 44.4 per cent).

Such a minute thing, but on the team photos after wins from the Athletic.

Winning regularly still feels like a novelty for Newcastle United — and Eddie Howe wants it to stay that way.

Howe may desperately want Newcastle to win every match, but he does not want the unique celebratory sensation that only victories bring to become diluted.

Beaming faces, embracing one another, brothers in arms, grinning and cheering into the camera are fast becoming habitual post-match reminders to players and staff of recent triumphs, displayed on TV screens around the club’s Benton training ground.

From long-serving members of staff, like Derek Wright, the head physiotherapist, and Ray Thompson, the kit manager, to the backroom team Howe brought from Bournemouth, such as Stephen Purches, the first-team coach, and Dan Hodges, head of performance, through to personnel largely unknown to supporters but, who internally, are deemed crucial, like Jamie Morren, the assistant player liaison officer, John Fitzpatrick, the data analyst, and Barrie Graham — the masseur, everyone is treated as an equal.

“It is all for one and one for all,” says a club source. “We do literally win together and lose together — players, backroom staff, everyone. It’s all about unity.”

That final word, above all else, encapsulates the ethos Howe has instilled at Newcastle. “Unity”, “togetherness” and “team” are among the head coach’s most-repeated words, and these mementos of victories represent the collective spirit he has harnessed.

This is not a new concept for Howe. It was a custom at Bournemouth but it is only now, given the intense scrutiny around Newcastle, that these victory photographs are provoking such intrigue.

Out attacking play from out wide from the Brentford (a), clearly coached us to exploit overloads on weaker flanks.

Spoiler

Jn9C1I7.png

yB75UFJ.png

VmNtnQM.png

Now this on our passing structure. Look at the mess under Bruce. Then look at the clear structure under Howe, even when it didn't work against Watford.

Spoiler

Fx4T85i.png

lheiulX.png

It's also clear to see that tactically he's good; Leeds (a), West Ham (a), Brentford (a), Brighton (h), Southampton (a). The performances in those games weren't flawless but we picked up 13 points in them. Some of them like Leeds (a) and last night were pure Benitez in terms of picking up those points and grinding out those wins without being swashbuckling. Against good sides too. Brighton had only lost 2 away games before coming to SJP. Southampton had only lost 1 home game before last night. 

And we're still away from what he eventually wants us to be; a side that controls possession, scores goals, plays open attacking football that's pleasing on the eye. We'll get there when we get a better quality in player in the transfer market. His work ethic and his demand on the training ground is akin also to peak Benitez but also commands a philosophy more akin to Keegan. Him and Tindall already seem to me to have a Keegan-Terry Mac dynamic. The way he speaks about the supporters and the club is lightyears away from the patronising bell ends of Bruce and Souness and the belittling shite from Pardew. It's more like Keegan, Benitez, SBR, Hughton, Roeder. He has all the traits to be one of a kind here.

I'll finish this whole thing on this from .com after Brentford as it sums up his time so far so well. And who knows what the future holds.

"What is more than evident though is that he's [Howe] earned the gratitude of the Geordie Nation; restoring a connection with their team and making the matchday experience pleasurable again. For that, we're thankful.

26 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I'll give it a go.

Looking back to the start of this season, when Ashley and Bruce were still here and how toxic the club was mainly in around September I was screaming for Howe to take over from Bruce. Looking back I thought he may have taken the job even with Ashley, but given how he looked for the right job after his time out of work I doubt he would've done. I've always rated him, his achievements at Bournemouth are so vastly underrated. What he did there is something you'd probably only see on Football Manager: taking a club from administration in League 2 (granted he left then came back when they were in League 1) to the Premier League and keeping them in the Premier League for 5 seasons playing attacking football is as good an achievement as winning a bit of silverware for me. But given this country's media and supporters' myopic view of managers where only the final outcomes are looked at rather than the whole context he was never going to be given credit that he probably deserved. He oversaw the greatest period in Bournemouth's history and that's the bottom line. And to achieve what he did there is some doing; building multiple squads for various leagues, improving players, maintaining their attacking identity, it's all the hallmarks of a fantastic coach. 

Now Bournemouth imo were always going to go down eventually and that's no fault of Howe's. Given the size of that club without meaning disrespect there was always going to be a ceiling in terms of revenue, the type of player they could attract et cetera. Even still, they would've stayed up had they not had so many injuries over the 2019-20 season and/or the goal line technology was switched on at Villa Park. 

Now it was mentioned in the discussion of my post about English football and managers post-Guardiola that the young, progressive, modern coaches such as Howe, Potter, many others in the Championship are the complete antithesis of the likes of Bruce, Pardew, Allardyce because they go out of their way to improve themselves rather than just searching for their next pay day. Potter went to Ostersunds in Sweden for his first job: completely unheard of for young English managers to go abroad for their first job. Howe spent his time out watching his training sessions at Bournemouth back, going over to Spain and watching Simeone work at Atleti, watching Andoni Iraola work at Rayo Vallecano who has brought a relatively small club into La Liga and got to the semi finals of the Copa del Rey. Iraola said of Howe;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10212107/Rayo-Vallecano-coach-Andoni-Iraola-opens-tremendous-Radamel-Falcao-teams-rise-LaLiga.html

Amongst that, this is what he also was doing prior to being interviewed and appointed here, remember that it was Al-Rumayyan who was wowed by his knowledge and attention to detail in how he'd improve us.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/11/05/incoming-newcastle-boss-eddie-howe-set-road-tyneside-diego-simeone/

Now if you look at how he's improved the team in it's general play, I've included some graphs that are spoilered amongst the fact that Newcastle are unbeaten this year and are sitting at the 'points collected in top 5 leagues this year' table with Liverpool, Barcelona and Sevilla. Above Manchester City.

Hide contents

Pre Brighton, this is from the Athletic on Joelinton.

From the Athletic on Schar.

Such a minute thing, but on the team photos after wins from the Athletic.

Out attacking play from out wide from the Brentford (a), clearly coached us to exploit overloads on weaker flanks.

Hide contents

Jn9C1I7.png

yB75UFJ.png

VmNtnQM.png

Now this on our passing structure. Look at the mess under Bruce. Then look at the clear structure under Howe, even when it didn't work against Watford.

Hide contents

Fx4T85i.png

lheiulX.png

It's also clear to see that tactically he's good; Leeds (a), West Ham (a), Brentford (a), Brighton (h), Southampton (a). The performances in those games weren't flawless but we picked up 13 points in them. Some of them like Leeds (a) and last night were pure Benitez in terms of picking up those points and grinding out those wins without being swashbuckling. Against good sides too. Brighton had only lost 2 away games before coming to SJP. Southampton had only lost 1 home game before last night. 

And we're still away from what he eventually wants us to be; a side that controls possession, scores goals, plays open attacking football that's pleasing on the eye. We'll get there when we get a better quality in player in the transfer market. His work ethic and his demand on the training ground is akin also to peak Benitez but also commands a philosophy more akin to Keegan. Him and Tindall already seem to me to have a Keegan-Terry Mac dynamic. The way he speaks about the supporters and the club is lightyears away from the patronising bell ends of Bruce and Souness and the belittling shite from Pardew. It's more like Keegan, Benitez, SBR, Hughton, Roeder. He has all the traits to be one of a kind here.

I'll finish this whole thing on this from .com after Brentford as it sums up his time so far so well. And who knows what the future holds.

"What is more than evident though is that he's [Howe] earned the gratitude of the Geordie Nation; restoring a connection with their team and making the matchday experience pleasurable again. For that, we're thankful.

Very good. An enjoyable take on Eddie and his year out. I’d love to know what’s in his football philosophy document. 

1 hour ago, wormy said:

Stone definitely pays to watch people eat on webcam.

Yeah, big guy! Eat it! Eat that sandwich! Eat it, right down that big mouth of yours! Eat it all, don't leave a crumb! Mmm, that's so great, this pleases me!