Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

I don't really buy his pleading ignorance but I think he's answered that as well as he could do really.

Everyone connected to the club - fan or employee - can take one of two positions: A, we're basically business as usual, it's a football club and I'll treat it as such. Or B, it's a football club but it has been fundamentally tarnished by it's connection to an abhorrent regime and I don't want to be associated with it for that reason. 

Howe, like the vast majority of supporters from what I can see, has taken option A. 

Probably taken in some peoples eyes because separation from the Saudi state was proven and the actual face of the club has become AS/MG and to a lesser extent JR. I’d be lying if I could tell you the name of our chairman who we saw at the Spurs game which would make you feel the club has more of a SA influence/connection.

The other reason I believe (and it’s the one that the journalists, pundits and opposing fans etc are ALL missing) is the club is SO MUCH BETTER under this ownership so far. With irony being that levels of care, communication, inclusion and respect have risen beyond anything I’ve witnessed supporting the club so goes without thinking the comparison difference to those who only knew it under MA. Yes signing better players helps the team and results generally dictate fans moods and opinions but it’s the signs of basic foundations being put in place that fans have really taken to it seems hence the backing of EH during his slow start. So in short it was the previous regime that tarnished the club whereas this regime is polishing it back up.

I said at the time I didn’t think UE is a NUFC manager for unquantifiable reasons despite his impressive CV. EH is the perfect fit for this club and I think he’s handled himself brilliantly since he arrived. The fact he does not have the answers to certain non football related questions only makes him (and the fans) guilty of being human, nothing more.

Lets see where we are in 19 years and what has become of us, not 6 month.

Guest HTT II
17 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

It’s actually scary to think how Bruce would have handled the questioning. 

Mmmm, bacon you say… mmmmm, pork you say? Mmmmm….

12 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Probably taken in some peoples eyes because separation from the Saudi state was proven and the actual face of the club has become AS/MG and to a lesser extent JR. I’d be lying if I could tell you the name of our chairman who we saw at the Spurs game which would make you feel the club has more of a SA influence/connection.

The other reason I believe (and it’s the one that the journalists, pundits and opposing fans etc are ALL missing) is the club is SO MUCH BETTER under this ownership so far. With irony being that levels of care, communication, inclusion and respect have risen beyond anything I’ve witnessed supporting the club so goes without thinking the comparison difference to those who only knew it under MA. Yes signing better players helps the team and results generally dictate fans moods and opinions but it’s the signs of basic foundations being put in place that fans have really taken to it seems hence the backing of EH during his slow start. So in short it was the previous regime that tarnished the club whereas this regime is polishing it back up.

I said at the time I didn’t think UE is a NUFC manager for unquantifiable reasons despite his impressive CV. EH is the perfect fit for this club and I think he’s handled himself brilliantly since he arrived. The fact he does not have the answers to certain non football related questions only makes him (and the fans) guilty of being human, nothing more.

Lets see where we are in 19 years and what has become of us, not 6 month.

Don't know if I'm misreading this a bit, but couldn't the fact the club is being ran better and generally getting the fans on board be seen as sportswashing by fans/media from the outside?

Because we've been such a basket case of a club for so long, there are a lot of easy wins to be had with nufc and I worry that maybe some of the lesser Informed* sections of our support use these as defence of Saudi ownership.

Like I say I'm not wishing to drag up too much political debate, or I'm possibly misreading your post?

*Feel a bit Shan saying this tbh, should just say knackers.

I don't know everything that Tuchel has said but I'd argue that it's an awful lot easier for him to condemn the actions of an outgoing owner than those of one you're actively working with and hope to continue working with. For that reason I don't see how Tuchel's comments can be used as a stick to beat Howe with. 

I like Tuchel’s response, but that’s after his owner has been sanctioned and forced out. Bit pointless to compare isn’t it? Such a load of fucking nonsense from some of these journalists, basically patting themselves on the back 

5 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I don't know everything that Tuchel has said but I'd argue that it's an awful lot easier for him to condemn the actions of an outgoing owner than those of one you're actively working with and hope to continue working with. For that reason I don't see how Tuchel's comments can be used as a stick to beat Howe with. 

Just said this exact same thing in the other thread.

31 minutes ago, Wilson said:

Love the bloke.  Handles everything they throw at him so well. 

https://www.nufc.co.uk/nufc-tv/latest-videos/howe-pre-everton-a-media-briefing-21-22/

On the downside... It's only on half an hour, i need more stuff to inject. 

Genuine, open, diplomatic, thoughtful… what a guy. Proud to have him as our manager (not just because he knows his stuff!) 

29 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

This tweeted almost immediately after calling Howes response weak. Hmmm.

Obviously it was pre-invasion, but was only a few weeks ago and I'm still somewhat staggered it gets glossed over: https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-club-world-cup-final-result-thomas-tuchel-roman-abramovich-2022-b982270.html

I wonder if any of the local journalists, Caulkin/Hope, helped Howe craft his reply? That's not to detract anything from Howe but more a sign of the good relationships that have been built over the last few months.

1 hour ago, NE27 said:

Don't know if I'm misreading this a bit, but couldn't the fact the club is being ran better and generally getting the fans on board be seen as sportswashing by fans/media from the outside?

Because we've been such a basket case of a club for so long, there are a lot of easy wins to be had with nufc and I worry that maybe some of the lesser Informed* sections of our support use these as defence of Saudi ownership.

Like I say I'm not wishing to drag up too much political debate, or I'm possibly misreading your post?

*Feel a bit Shan saying this tbh, should just say knackers.

They possibly are because they are making/insisting a link that the EPL has said that isn’t there which allowed the takeover to pass, whilst we’ve experienced nothing of significance to challenge it as we are taking it on face value. And the fact the club is being run better isn’t a stick to beat us or our manger with. Yet some people are clearly using it as an opportunity to rain on our very small so far parade.

Our club seems totally different to the makeup of PSG and Man City for example. If it wasn’t for journalists etc going on about it I wouldn’t personally even think of any SA attachment so to me it’s a very ineffective attempt to Sportswash. It’s ironically the media themselves attaching SA to us in every paragraph that facilitates any sports washing.

Speaking of which if you look at the definition of Sportswashing then I would comfortably claim every country and major sporting organisations in my lifetime and before is guilty of it including our very own. 

A lot of the reporting and comments are just the modern way of making people feel guilty as much as possible to make themselves look and feel better. I try not to worry about them as hypocrisy will never end.

My last point also would be I’d like to think we are able to separate a country and it’s people from its government. I hope others do with our country…

Has anybody asked Bacon Face his thoughts on KSA as he considers his time under their ownership or the huge pay off he accepted? Oh, and how about just about every pundit who thought he was doing a great job and shouldn’t have been peddled? Should they not have been saying how he was better off out of the club.

If there is anything to be asked and investigated it should be what happened  that made the EPL suddenly approve the takeover and continue to prevent MBS and PIF taking over. No skeletons there, nowt worth commenting on?

It’s Eddie Howe baiting season and they all know he can’t say anything other than what he is saying. Where’s Boris today btw and what’s he doing?

26 minutes ago, LFEE said:

A lot of the reporting and comments are just the modern way of making people feel guilty as much as possible to make themselves look and feel better. I try not to worry about them as hypocrisy will never end.

I sometimes feel like there is a little bit of point scoring involved when certain sections of the media pipe up, but it's not like I can say much as I'm as big a hypocrite as the next in my day to day life.

I'm trying not to get too bogged down in it all but at the same time, I don't wish to be completely ignorant to it so I actively look for the opposing views [emoji38]

Talk about a tight rope!

19 minutes ago, NE27 said:

I sometimes feel like there is a little bit of point scoring involved when certain sections of the media pipe up, but it's not like I can say much as I'm as big a hypocrite as the next in my day to day life.

I'm trying not to get too bogged down in it all but at the same time, I don't wish to be completely ignorant to it so I actively look for the opposing views [emoji38]

Talk about a tight rope!

Life is hard enough as they say. I try not to get too bogged down on things out of my control. The older you get the more you cherish the little rays of light. It’s been nice to witness most on here and in my day to day life having a bit more cheer in their life’s since the takeover. Outsiders need to be careful not to mistake post anti-Ashley cheer for pro-SA government sentiment which is the narrative we are clearly being forced down. It seemed to be dying down a bit but since the invasion of Ukraine it’s clearly been used as another opportunity for headlines, make money for media outlets, many owned by…🙂

20 hours ago, LFEE said:

Life is hard enough as they say. I try not to get too bogged down on things out of my control. The older you get the more you cherish the little rays of light. It’s been nice to witness most on here and in my day to day life having a bit more cheer in their life’s since the takeover. Outsiders need to be careful not to mistake post anti-Ashley cheer for pro-SA government sentiment which is the narrative we are clearly being forced down. It seemed to be dying down a bit but since the invasion of Ukraine it’s clearly been used as another opportunity for headlines, make money for media outlets, many owned by…🙂

Definitely been an angle almost universally missed. The face it’s billionaires of various persuasions using to the club to their own benefactor or malignant ends is a two sides of the same coin angle sorely missed.