Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Unless it’s a 100% public vote I cannot understand by what metric Klopp deserves that. 

He came runner up in the PL. When he was either expected to win or come runner up in the PL. 

Klopp wins for coming second? Why for gods sake. Could understand if it wasnt meant to be premier league only...ridiculous. Would understand Pep for winning it, would understand Thomas Frank, he's done great work and Klopp has done great work but arguably 2nd place is the minumum expected! grrrr

Klopp has done a great job with Liverpool, can't knock that. Only lost twice all season. A lot of people were predicted them to finish below Chelsea and Man United at the start of the season. 

I know it's only supposed to be Premier League that counts but I'm guessing winning two trophies and making the Champions League final has worked in his favour as well. 

LMA Manager of the Year makes sense for Klopp (he would have my vote on that one) - but not PL Manager of the Year

Not only should the PL MotY be only be about PL performance, but it is ludicrous to just hand it to the manager of a good team doing well.  Too often the manager who wins it is awarded it, but for me that should only be the case when Ranieri won the league with Leicester.  Moyes last season, or Frank / Howe this season makes more sense to me.  It should be about relative performance, i.e. performance vs expectation, which should be the requirement.  An unexpected European qualifier, or taking favourites for the drop to safety, etc.

Considering how soon it's been announced I assume even the non-public portion of the vote ended before the end of the season? May have played a factor if they still had a chance of winning the title. Still don't even know why they bother with a public vote if what I've read on here is true and it barely makes up 5-10% of the final decision. 

Still would've given it to Frank if it wasn't going to go to Howe. 

I mean either Klopp or Pep do 'deserve' it like, but it just renders the whole award pointless. They basically just did what is expected of them and their squads, as impressive as that is.

Howe and Frank both performed well beyond what was expected. 

Edited by Hanshithispantz

18 hours ago, gbandit said:

Possibly the thing that gives me the most confidence in him as a manager is how quickly he found out which players needed to be sidelined. He made all the right choices and even though myself and others were thinking Manquillo was the right call

over Krafth, he proved us wrong with that as well. A combo of getting 100% out of every player on the pitch coupled with the right calls on who to sideline shows how gifted this guy is, and that’s before we touch on other things like creating unity in the squad, keeping players onside who aren’t getting game time, setting us up to play attractive football. We’re lucky to have him 

This isn’t how I remember it. He was starting the wrong players regularly for about a month e.g Clark against Norwich…Darlow against Brentford.

Edited by Dr Venkman

Tbf he was probably getting bad info from the club staff. It was annoying as fuck at the time because I'd only seen a handful of our games in a couple of years and I knew he shouldn't have been starting Clarke or playing Ritchie and Murphy as wing backs:lol:

9nce they fucked up once or twice (which was soon) they were gone though.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

Earlier on he was doing things out of necessity, before he came there was talk in the interview he was discussing how to get the best from all the players. He studied it at length and spoke to the owners pre-takeover so even then knew what to expect for when it did go through out of the blue.

Wouldn't surprise me if he gave them a chance to show themselves while trying to work with what he had - before that Leeds turning point it was 1 win in 10 or something like that so we've come a long way

Absolute crock of shit Klopp winning it. He's taken the 2nd best squad to 2nd in the league. Howe has taken a squad from 19th to 11th. If Real beat the scousers in the CL final, the award looks even worse - well done for winning the League Cup. Not that it should even matter.

Klopp is a darling though, with his scampish laugh. He was always going to win it.

Edited by JumpersForGoalposts

How on earth can you possibly give the manager who's finished second with one of the two best squads in the league the manager of the season? Personally think Frank should have won it, but I'd also have put Howe, Conte, Guardiola, and Vieira before Klopp. If Klopp had won the league, fair enough, but they're obviously allowing the F.A Cup, League Cup, potential Champion's League and almost getting a quadrule to shape their thinking. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Klopp's achievements with Liverpool are absolutely remarkable and can't be understated - I'd even argue that his achievements are greater than Pep's given the difference in resources and their respective starting positions - but purely contained to this season's Premier League campaign, it doesn't make an iota of sense. They're an incredible team and incredibly coached but ultimately they/he were bettered and he should've been the first discounted for that reason.

I really think Brentford being absolutely nowhere near relegation, going on at least one really fantastic run of form, signings of Ajer/Wissa/Eriksen, turning Toney into a Premier League striker... that surely is a greater achievement in the context of the domestic league season than Klopp taking Liverpool to second. 

Howe's achievements obviously go without saying. Vieira, nah.

Ah well. 

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Klopp's achievements with Liverpool are absolutely remarkable and can't be understated - I'd even argue that his achievements are greater than Pep's given the difference in resources and their respective starting positions - but purely contained to this season's Premier League campaign, it doesn't make an iota of sense. They're an incredible team and incredibly coached but ultimately they/he were bettered and he should've been the first discounted for that reason.

I really think Brentford being absolutely nowhere near relegation, going on at least one really fantastic run of form, signings of Ajer/Wissa/Eriksen, turning Toney into a Premier League striker... that surely is a greater achievement in the context of the domestic league season than Klopp taking Liverpool to second. 

Howe's achievements obviously go without saying. Vieira, nah.

Ah well. 

100%

Pep and Klopp's achievements are largely based off the work they've put in in previous seasons. That's not to take anything away from them this season, as they've both done exceptionally well to maintain their dominance, but their achievements in the league are at a plateau really. They've built the car and now they're basically just servicing it. 

Howe took over arguably the worst side in the league after 11 games and earned 44 points. If we go from Leeds, which is when his work started to sink in and our run of form kicked in he took 38 points from 18 games, 5 less than Pep, and 10 less than Liverpool. 3 more than Conte and 6 more than Tuchel.

The stats are sort of selective but not arbitrarily so, we've been pushing certain Champions League form for half a season; this form would have had us a point off winning the league (-GD) the year Leicester won it ffs :lol:

Not being contrarian for the sake of it but, if the argument against Klopp is it's a Premier League award and should be confined to that, does it not matter what other comps the team's played in count? 

Finishing 2nd in the league whilst also reaching 2 domestic and 1 international finals is an achievement. Definitely decent management of a squad over said season. Admittedly with far superior resources than all but 1 other club.

Lampard and Viera no where near, for me, nor Pep.

3 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Not being contrarian for the sake of it but, if the argument against Klopp is it's a Premier League award and should be confined to that, does it not matter what other comps the team's played in count? 

Finishing 2nd in the league whilst also reaching 2 domestic and 1 international finals is an achievement. Definitely decent management of a squad over said season. Admittedly with far superior resources than all but 1 other club.

Lampard and Viera no where near, for me, nor Pep.

Even taking this into account, the same applies to Man City who also won the league.