Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Just now, Geordie Ahmed said:

I don't know much about Bournemouth's financial situation but Howe himself had next to nothing to spend is what I understood was the case, are you saying otherwise?

I'm going to go by the accounts of someone who was paying attention at the time - check out the potted history from @WillDanceForChocolate - Apr 24th in this thread.

8 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

If Howe eventually wins the League or the European Cup, I'll be campaigning for more than a statue - I want there to be an entire suburb named after him.  Maybe rename Arthur's Hill as Howechester or something.

I genuinely believe he's going to be the man who breaks the duck.  First time in two decades I've felt comfortable even imagining that.  I could easily see him being here as long as a Wenger or Ferguson, before getting the England job at 60 for the last few years of his career.  Hope so, anyway.

That's the thing that makes me comfortable now. When we had Rafa, there was always a chance a better job offer would come along or in the end and he'd leave us or in the eventual end, the cunt Ashley let Rafa's contract run down and refused to offer him a better one and he left.

But with our financial situation now, and Eddie being the kind of human being he is, I don't think even Real Madrid or England could tempt him away before he reaches his targets with us. We can afford to quadruple his wages should that be the main issue. Eddie will want to stay, players want that, owners want that and hope our fans keep their heads in check and give the guy a fair amount of time to work his magic. Stay here 10 years if it would mean we consistantly challenge the Big 6.

1 minute ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

I don't know much about Bournemouth's financial situation but Howe himself had next to nothing to spend is what I understood was the case, are you saying otherwise?

Well, yes I am saying otherwise - do you think that a 40m loss at a football club is the result of paying tea ladies and stewards too much?  Bournemouth's wage bill was huge for the time - over 30m - Howe didn't spend much at all on transfers.  Again, that doesn't detract from the achievement - just as spending 90m in January doesn't detract from the phenomenal job he's done at NUFC.

The always excellent Swiss Ramble explains it far better than I can:

https://swissramble.blogspot.com/2016/05/bournemouth-welcome-to-pleasuredome.html

6 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Well, yes I am saying otherwise - do you think that a 40m loss at a football club is the result of paying tea ladies and stewards too much?  Bournemouth's wage bill was huge for the time - over 30m - Howe didn't spend much at all on transfers.  Again, that doesn't detract from the achievement - just as spending 90m in January doesn't detract from the phenomenal job he's done at NUFC.

https://swissramble.blogspot.com/2016/05/bournemouth-welcome-to-pleasuredome.html

That article looks at the more recent seasons but the work Howe did in keeping them in League 2 and then getting them promoted is THE achievement and he did it by spending next to nothing 

Maybe they spent more in The Championship but to downplay the overall achievement seems a bit daft imo 

11 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

That article looks at the more recent seasons but the work Howe did in keeping them in League 2 and then getting them promoted is THE achievement and he did it by spending next to nothing 

Maybe they spent more in The Championship but to downplay the overall achievement seems a bit daft imo 

Not looking to downplay it - hope that was clear

On 31/05/2022 at 23:07, The Prophet said:

Great, pull no punches article.

Newcastle won’t instantly become title challengers but there are certainly fault lines in the Big Six to attack, and the possibility of seeing how a manager like Howe handles the opportunity to compete at the top end of the table will be undeniably fascinating no matter the misgivings about the investment that has put him and his club there.

What a brilliant way to end. "Undeniably fascinating" stories are rare in English football. Howe was never going to get the Man U job, so its this way or not at all. Howe was Football League "Manager of the Decade", but all that does is make you a legend at one small club on the South Coast and a favourite of some nerdy stat boys. Reality says it does not earn you a crack at a big club.

2 hours ago, elbee909 said:

Flicking through those early pages is amusing. First few pages there are calls of Conte :lol: and Jose, then Bruce is gone and eventually for a few days everyone knows it will be Emery, then quite a bit of disappointment and writing off of Howe. 

It’s a mad old game like 

5 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Good read that. 

Me not being the brightest I'm taking from those figures that their, varnigh, £40m losses INCLUDED the £7m fine. 

Reminds me of being a reckless financial knacker in my youth when I was barrasic, got letters from the bank manager ( yes kids, actual fucking letters) telling me I was being fined £25 for going over my overdraft AND £15 admin costs for them sending a letter 🤔🙄

Kick a man while he's down like 😂

7 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Good read that. 

Me not being the brightest I'm taking from those figures that their, varnigh, £40m losses INCLUDED the £7m fine. 

Reminds me of being a reckless financial knacker in my youth when I was barrasic, got letters from the bank manager ( yes kids, actual fucking letters) telling me I was being fined £25 for going over my overdraft AND £15 admin costs for them sending a letter 🤔🙄

Kick a man while he's down like 😂

Likewise mate - I was utterly shite with money until my mid-20s.  Got hit constantly with bank charges - shithouse trick to hammer the poor.

The 40m did include the fine - but 30m wages against 12m turnover - and the biggest loss in the division by a mile - tells you that they gambled.  And won, tbf

34 minutes ago, nbthree3 said:

I loving the Howe love it more then anyone, but surely if the list is based on there season objectives, Marsch and Lampard should be higher? :lol: 

7 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

That can't be right. What kind of fool would put Patrick Vieira in their top ten?

He's arguably been a top 10 performer. Top 12 at worst - literally.

5 is a bit high. But midtable safety and a FA cup semi-final was a good season. At the start of the season people had Vieira first to be sacked and Palace relegated and neither look remotely like happening.

Eddie's done well.

13 hours ago, gazza ladra said:

I was being facetious. I was pilliored on here for ranking Vieira in my top ten earlier this year. Yes, I agree fifth is too high.

The ranking is relative to their objectives (mostly presumed) so seems fair enough to me.

• 2 weeks later...