Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Just now, Groundhog63 said:

But didn't get to 3 finals as well. Stretched, not so much.

Liverpool will have played an extra 4 matches over Man City after the Champions League final. 

League Cup quarter, semi, final
FA Cup Final
Champions League final

minus the Community Shield

I don't think that's enough to win Premier League Manager of the Season above the manager who actually won it. 

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Liverpool will have played an extra 4 matches over Man City after the Champions League final. 

League Cup quarter, semi, final
FA Cup Final
Champions League final

minus the Community Shield

I don't think that's enough to win Premier League Manager of the Season above the manager who actually won it. 

I wouldn't, personally, argue for either, just offered a suggestion as to why one was chosen over Howe. 

Howe all day for me tho but. 

14 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

I wouldn't, personally, argue for either, just offered a suggestion as to why one was chosen over Howe. 

Howe all day for me tho but. 

On paper, Klopp has the best squad in the world individually. Third highest paid squad in the world after PSG and Man City, but somehow, Klopp managed to convince the public that he is still managing an average team. Recruiting top players is hard, I must admit, but keeping them is harder, particularly because you need to pay them well. The tale that LFC does not have resources or spend much is hilarious.

Zero win vs top 4 this season, that is also something to keep note of.

Edited by Mansour

The argument of Klopp vs Pep is pretty much settled for me at this point, look at the sums spent on that City side compared to what Klopps done with Liverpool who might be about to win their second CL under him this weekend.

Klopp started with a side that was nothing close to what it is now. Hes brought in players and improved them as individuals, made them better than they were than when they signed - can we really say that for Pep (Of course there will be one or two exceptions either way, but generally Klopp seems a far better coach at fulfilling players potential than Pep). Look at the team he had when he took over compared to the very solid base Pep started with at City, he had the foundations of Kompany, Aguero, Silva ect to build on.. to me Klopp built a house from scratch where as Pep inherited something that was already half finished and spent away until it was done. Obviously if you give a manager funds they will spend regardless, but if the roles were reversed I don’t think we would be talking about Pep being in his 2nd CL final at Liverpool.

Edited by Nine

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Klopp's achievements with Liverpool are absolutely remarkable and can't be understated - I'd even argue that his achievements are greater than Pep's given the difference in resources and their respective starting positions - but purely contained to this season's Premier League campaign, it doesn't make an iota of sense. They're an incredible team and incredibly coached but ultimately they/he were bettered and he should've been the first discounted for that reason.

I really think Brentford being absolutely nowhere near relegation, going on at least one really fantastic run of form, signings of Ajer/Wissa/Eriksen, turning Toney into a Premier League striker... that surely is a greater achievement in the context of the domestic league season than Klopp taking Liverpool to second. 

Howe's achievements obviously go without saying. Vieira, nah.

Ah well. 

Liverpool have become the PL's standard bearer club, it feels like the national media and the football authorities themselves take pride in their achievements. There's this almost RAWK level of reverence associated with the club, far beyond the confines of Merseyside.

It should have gone to Howe; simple for me. Nobody has ever survived going 14 without a win. We did. We were 2nd bottom on Jan 15 and on May 22nd we were 11th with a top 4 point collection in calendar year 2022. 

1 hour ago, Mansour said:

On paper, Klopp has the best squad in the world individually. Third highest paid squad in the world after PSG and Man City, but somehow, Klopp managed to convince the public that he is still managing an average team. Recruiting top players is hard, I must admit, but keeping them is harder, particularly because you need to pay them well. The tale that LFC does not have resources or spend much is hilarious.

Zero win vs top 4 this season, that is also something to keep note of.

As I said, Howe all day for me but I do recognise how good Klopp is.

Liverpool v City, spends, for eg... 

https://www.si.com/.amp/soccer/2022/05/03/liverpool-outlook-jurgen-klopp-contract-champions-league-salah-mane

8 hours ago, nbthree3 said:

Earlier on he was doing things out of necessity, before he came there was talk in the interview he was discussing how to get the best from all the players. He studied it at length and spoke to the owners pre-takeover so even then knew what to expect for when it did go through out of the blue.

Wouldn't surprise me if he gave them a chance to show themselves while trying to work with what he had - before that Leeds turning point it was 1 win in 10 or something like that so we've come a long way

Aye. He only played Clark against Norwich to avoid the inevitability of being stuck with him all season, because Schar would have probably fucked himself in that game.

41 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Aye. He only played Clark against Norwich to avoid the inevitability of being stuck with him all season, because Schar would have probably fucked himself in that game.

In hindsight a master stroke (by accident) as Clark’s red card gave us Vieralinton 

3 hours ago, Kanji said:

It should have gone to Howe; simple for me. Nobody has ever survived going 14 without a win. We did. We were 2nd bottom on Jan 15 and on May 22nd we were 11th with a top 4 point collection in calendar year 2022. 

This. And he did it despite his two star players getting injured shortly after he arrived. Easy to forget in hindsight, but at the time even survival looked impossible, that we ended up finish 11th and 4th in the form table in that time is nothing short of a miracle, but hey ho Liverpool...walk on, walk O-O-N!! etc.

2 hours ago, Groundhog63 said:

As I said, Howe all day for me but I do recognise how good Klopp is.

Liverpool v City, spends, for eg... 

https://www.si.com/.amp/soccer/2022/05/03/liverpool-outlook-jurgen-klopp-contract-champions-league-salah-mane

Klopp is certainly good, one of the best in his generation. The issue is not about his quality, it is more about the narrative that he is doing more than expected just because he is not spending as much as his rivals.

Pedro (free) Villa (40m) Messi (fee)

Iniesta (free) Busquets (free) Xavi (free)

Abidal (15m) Pique (5m) Puyol (free) Alves (35m)

Valdes (free)

The cost of one if not the best starting 11 in football history was 95m

What I am trying to say is that the quality of the squad should not be judged by how much you have spent to build it, rather how much you are spending to keep it = salary. Although Klopp has not spent as much as Pep, he still has as good of a squad as Pep; therefore, both should be held to the same standards in my opinion.

Edited by Mansour

On 25/05/2022 at 18:23, Groundhog63 said:

Me too Sean, me too

Great to hear. The problem did seem to be between his ears, and he's now back on track. I wasn't quite ready to give up on him, and it'll be interesting to see what Howe makes of him, building on his strengths.

Needs to lose the tache though.

Vieira was tipped by many to be the first PL sacking so he should've been in the running.

Brentford's Frank should've won it.

I think all the awards this year have been bad. KDB only started 25 games and he won player of the season. IMO Son or Salah should've won that.

Saka easily YPOTY over Foden. Played way more. More crucial to his team. More goals. More assists. Robbed.

40 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Vieira was tipped by many to be the first PL sacking so he should've been in the running.

I think all the awards this year have been bad. KDB only started 25 games and he won player of the season. IMO Son or Salah should've won that.

Saka easily YPOTY over Foden. Played way more. More crucial to his team. More goals. More assists. Robbed.

Yeah, it stinks. All about the brand though, innit? Best team got to have the best players or things look weird.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Agreed on KDB, pretty sure I read somewhere he didn’t have a goal or assist until December either.

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

Agreed on KDB, pretty sure I read somewhere he didn’t have a goal or assist until December either.

You can make a case for a number of players, but when De Bruyne is moving forward with the ball, there is no opposition player who fills me with a stronger sense of dread.

2 hours ago, Happinesstan said:

Yeah, it stinks. All about the brand though, innit? Best team got to have the best players or things look weird.

But it looks weirder when the best team sweep all the awards. It makes the league look useless.

The 2 individual awards went to players that didn't start 26 games. Manager of the year finished exactly where you would expect his team to finish.

How many players have scored 20+ non-penalty goals in a 38 game season?

7 minutes ago, Cronky said:

You can make a case for a number of players, but when De Bruyne is moving forward with the ball, there is no opposition player who fills me with a stronger sense of dread.

One of our forwards does tho, Chris Wood

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Son gets no respect man. It's astonishing.

6 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Son gets no respect man. It's astonishing.

Especially since he's been performing year after year for Spurs whether they are doing well or comparatively struggling. There seems to be this perception that it's okay to acknowledge him as a wonderful player, but somehow he should never be seriously considered as the best in the league.