Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

34 minutes ago, Likelylad said:

I agree with the graceful bit but i do think Robson would have picked someone like Bruce or some other PFM type. 

2004 was a big crossroads for us that we hugely fucked up at. Though Chelsea had seen Abramovich come in and change the landscape, we oft were competing with them in the table from 01-04. They got rid of Ranieri that summer and appointed Mourinho. Likewise with Liverpool, they got rid of Houllier and appointed Benitez. Man Utd and Arsenal held the other 2 top four spots.

I may be wrong but surely we had to change managers in that summer to a similar type of appointment or stick with SBR for the whole 04-05 season? Getting rid after 4 games, one of which we should've won against Spurs and another where we were robbed against Middlesbrough due to a handball, and ending up with Souness just makes it seem like an absolute mess.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

6 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

2004 was a big crossroads for us that we hugely fucked up at. Though Chelsea had seen Abramovich come in and change the landscape, we oft were competing with them in the table from 01-04. They got rid of Ranieri that summer and appointed Mourinho. Likewise with Liverpool, they got rid of Houllier and appointed Benitez. Man Utd and Arsenal held the other 2 top four spots.

I may be wrong but surely we had to change managers in that summer to a similar type of appointment or stick with SBR for the whole 04-05 season? Getting rid after 4 games, one of which we should've won against Spurs and another where we were robbed against Middlesbrough due to a handball, and ending up with Souness just makes it seem like an absolute mess.

Such a stupid thought process by Freddie too, the players are the problem, no respect so let's bring in someone hard and shouty. 

3 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Indeed but if I remember rightly. The media were heavily pushing the narrative that he couldn’t handle the likes of Bellamy Bramble & Dyer etc. Which was further ramped up by Dyer refusing to play RW. 

Also, was that the summer we only picked up Bowyer on a free or was that the season before?

Just now, Likelylad said:

Indeed but if I remember rightly. The media were heavily pushing the narrative that he couldn’t handle the likes of Bellamy Bramble & Dyer etc. Which was further ramped up by Dyer refusing to play RW. 

Also, was that the summer we only picked up Bowyer on a free or was that the season before?

We did make a few signings that summer but for various reasons none of them worked out very well. Butt, Milner, Kluivert, Carr.

Imagine if we'd got Carrick instead of Butt. 

1 minute ago, Likelylad said:

Aye that was 03/04, but a massive mistake too. 04/05 was Kluivert, Milner, then Carr instead of Miguel and Butt instead of Speed (:anguish:).

Daft really. I do think he would have gotten a tune out of us. We were notoriously slow starters under Robson. 

As above. Souness was brought in as a disciplinarian, he was shite and is still bitter about it to this day. Not sure wtf he expected after we had finished 4th, 3rd & 5th. Twat.

That podcast confirmed what I'd started to think a few months ago - that our guy is ahead of the game. He's been on his own unique journey of self-education in the arts of football management and, combined with his experience, he is now in a class of his own. 

56 minutes ago, Likelylad said:

I agree with the graceful bit but i do think Robson would have picked someone like Bruce or some other PFM type. 

No if I remember rightly he wanted Mourinho and even asked him to be his assistant. He was knowledgeable about Continental football, even at Barcelona he chose Ronaldo when he could have chosen Shearer etc so defo wasn’t obvious that he would have gone PFM

1 hour ago, Mattoon said:

Such a stupid thought process by Freddie too, the players are the problem, no respect so let's bring in someone hard and shouty. 

It was the nadir of Shepherd's running of the club. We ricocheted between managerial styles subsequently.

Robson's failing was probably that he was trying to handle situations with more class than the club deserved at the time. It would've been ugly, but it might have worked out better if he'd aired some dirty laundry in public e.g. Shepherd effectively making himself DOF for incomings and outgoings. It wasn't Robson's style to do such a thing, of course.

Re: Robson's departure, I backed him but the writing on the wall was so clear that I kind of wanted to get his departure over and done with because it was all so undignified. But when Souness was first linked I thought it was a sick joke. I remember watching developments on SSN and I couldn't believe what was happening - he was about a fortnight away from being sacked for underperformance at Blackburn at the time.

Yep, I remember it too. Thought the person who told me was joking, then checked Ceefax. Just aghast really, seemed like everyone in the entire world other than Freddy Shepherd knew it was going to be a total disaster. An incredible appointment which totally knackered the trajectory of the club; alright, 03/04 was a long way behind the two years which preceded it but we were still up there. 

Pay close attention to 9:35 mins in, it sounds so simple, I have a feeling Eddie might have a very high IQ he's just hiding it behind a humble exterior. I've not heard of that concept before, he makes it sound like it's nothing but on paper it's genius. He should keep that quiet, Guardiola will steal it :iamatwat:

7 minutes ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

Genuine, humble, honest, talented, hard working, young. Our boss! He has a little bit of Keegan, Rafa and Robson in him. Love the guy!

The "talented" needs to be emphasised, he's more than just hard work, he's very clever

Man I just waxed poetic about him down at the brewery tonight for like 30 minutes on the back of this podcast. A bunch of soccer dudes and they were absolutely enthralled about what I was saying I had learned about Eddie and his philosophy from this podcast. Just totally engaging stuff from him. 

We hit the fucking jackpot y’all. 

5 hours ago, elbee909 said:

I remember being so angry when Souness was appointed. I was on my way to Netto at the time to pick something up for my mum. I don't know why I remember that anger and situation so clearly.

SSN read out my angry email :lol: 

The thing that excites me most about Eddie is his how dedicated he is to improving and winning.

Robson and Keegan, both nice blokes with emotional personalities which endeared them to us but also was a big weak spot. We had good sides, but never had that extra mettle or tactical nous that drives true success. 

With Eddie I see a nice bloke who’s easy to like but with a ruthless desire to plan, improve and win. He’s scientific and calculated.

Our outstanding defensive performances are a great example of this in action. 

Edited by bobbydazzla