Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

11 hours ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

I'm not being sensationalist here, but I genuinely think Howe is the best manager of my lifetime - better than Keegan and SBR, and I love them both dearly.

He has it all, and I think we've just seen the first year of a dynasty that will end up being compared to SAF and Pep in time.

Amazing time to be a Toon fan.

I know what you mean. I am almost reluctant to admit it, because it feels like sacrilege, but tactically at least, he seems to be on another level, and SBR was no slouch in that area.

Howe won't take you on a roller coaster like Keegan did, I think those years will be hard to top for pure emotion, but Eddie has a calculating side to him which is evident in how he answers questions so expertly. Gives his adversaries nothing, and at the same time seems to be able to get his players to run through walls for him. He'll bring silverware to Tyneside.

10 hours ago, TheGuv said:

Ditto :)

I wonder what the percentage split was for those disappointed he was appointed?

I also imagine Howe has a 100% approval rating amongst fans. When was the last time we had that? SBR circa 2003?

The start of the thread will be an absolute car crash. Can’t wait to revisit it when timing best suits.:badyao: 

44 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Only watched about 20 minutes of the High Performance podcast, would absolutely love for them to do one with Bruce just to take the piss out of him and let us compare the answers :lol:

I think he's on the Low Performance podcast.

23 minutes ago, Disco said:

The start of the thread will be an absolute car crash. Can’t wait to revisit it when timing best suits.:badyao: 

On 04/11/2021 at 20:47, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

I'm under no illusions, but I'm also quite open minded about the job he might be able to do. It's not like we have many examples to draw on, he's managed 1 team. But he was able to produce very good results with very little resource. It'd make more sense, imo, to apply that logic to his appointment, because ultimately he over achieved. 

whistle-homer.gif

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

I was a fan of Howe before his appointment, what he achieved at Bournemouth was incredible. That said, his first year in charge is way beyond any form of expectation.

I felt he could be the man to keep us up and transition us into a mid-table team, but he's emphatically ripped up that script.

I love the bloke and genuinely believe he could be the one to end the trophy drought.

5 hours ago, FloydianMag said:

Cracking motivation for the players.

Yeah, it has to be.  I mean, just say the club really does go off like a rocket, and in ten years time there is a Man City-esque transformation.  Now, I'm not saying this will happen, but just say it did.  The group of players who win that first pot will undoubtedly to me be the ones who get venerated the most - or at least, are viewed with the mistiest of eyes when thinking back.  They'd be guaranteed places as legends at the club - even if the team is filled with superstars in a decade's time.

That has to motivate any player, if it doesn't they shouldn't be in football.

That I’m actually watching this corporate drivel with Jake Humpo is the biggest endorsement I could ever give the bloke tbh. 

Wonder that bellend who has fascinated with him years before he arrived is up to now? 

I’ve said on here before that I don’t think any manager in world football could have turned this club around within a year quite like Howe has. Of course we have to give the ownership part of the credit but everything top to bottom feels different, considering the absolute state that they inherited it’s pretty impressive work. Idiots will point to the key factor being money spent while ignoring the standard of our squad before we spent money and also that money = success just doesn’t happen that easily in football, the key factor is the ownership/management. Obviously a good slice of luck has been involved also, as we could have had a different manager altogether.

I had my doubts we would resume our last season post Jan form but we’ve actually gone and bettered it which bodes well for what happens post WC. I’d have taken a top 10 finish as I saw this as a transitional season but things have moved at mad pace, we are moving towards the point of anything below top 6 being a bit of a collapse. If we do hit the ground running again after the WC then the momentum should carry us through bar any injury crisis. 

With all that being said, this is a long road and it will have bumps in it. IF we do qualify for the Europa league or higher then next season will be a massive task, the way we play under Howe will have this squad massively stretched due to the extra schedule. I think we would honestly benefit from one more season outside of Europe, two more summer windows will be huge in transitioning this squad into one that has the depth in quality to handle a assault on all fronts (PL, Europe and the cups). What I’m saying is I hope we don’t progress TO quickly, we can only alter transfer plans to offset that so much within the limitations. Howe should have enough credit in the bank to get through any bad patch of form caused by whatever the circumstances may be, and when we do get into Europe it will probably be the biggest acid test so far for the new regime. 

All in all Howe is a beast but we are only just beginning. 

Edited by Nine

37 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

15th January onwards after Watford scored their late equaliser at SJP is a good read.

Just had a read, some absolute belters in there.

A fair few people not just questioning him but wanting him binned off. 

The reaction at the time was ridiculous but football fans are an impatient bunch, though I was surprised a fanbase that suffered Ashley wasn't more patient 

8 hours ago, The Prophet said:

I was a fan of Howe before his appointment, what he achieved at Bournemouth was incredible. That said, his first year in charge is way beyond any form of expectation.

I felt he could be the man to keep us up and transition us into a mid-table team, but he's emphatically ripped up that script.

I love the bloke and genuinely believe he could be the one to end the trophy drought.

WILL be the one to end the trophy drought.  Onwards and upwards. :indi:

For those that haven’t, please watch Minus 17 on YouTube. It’ll tell you all you need to know about the mentality, and ability of our magnificent gaffa.
He’s also not his own finished article by his own high standards, he’ll grow and develope with the club. Happy daze indeed.

Edited by PauloGeordio

9 hours ago, Nobody said:

Only watched about 20 minutes of the High Performance podcast, would absolutely love for them to do one with Bruce just to take the piss out of him and let us compare the answers :lol:

Excuse me this is 'High Performance' not High Cholesterol. 

8 hours ago, The Prophet said:

He wasn't top of my list, but in the end I was impressed by the way he had clearly convinced the club that he had the right ideas and motivation to take us forward, and I was happy with his appointment. 

I didn't know what had happened at Bournemouth (and still don't) and I wondered how that and his lay-off had affected him. It turns out that he's come back stronger, with renewed energy, ideas and conviction. He's turned a setback into a springboard. 

Analogies can be dangerous, but I can't help but think back to the Clough / Notts Forest episode. He'd had success at Derby, but failed at Leeds and got nowhere with Brighton. Then he took on an ordinary bunch of players at Forest and it all took off. What I can remember from that season when they won the league in their first season after promotion (Imagine that happening now) was that everyone was initially seeing it as the sort of temporary boost that a promoted club often gets. A commentator (I think it was David Coleman) then said after Forest had beaten Man U 4-0 at Old Trafford, 'If you think the Forest bubble is going to burst, forget it'. 

I've been expecting us to hit some kind of mid-table brick wall, but it hasn't happened and I no longer expect it to happen. 

From the “High Performance” podcast:

Asked to outline his guiding principles in management, his answer included the following, evidenced by the overwhelming majority of the current squad:

"The best way for the team to do really well is for the individual to excel. If I can try and improve those 25 players and invest in them, then the team and the club will never look back."

:smitten:

9 hours ago, Disco said:

That I’m actually watching this corporate drivel with Jake Humpo is the biggest endorsement I could ever give the bloke tbh. 

Wonder that bellend who has fascinated with him years before he arrived is up to now? 

I listened to it and I found it incredibly cringey. I know these things often are and dossers like me are not their target audience. But for all that Humphrey was always fair about us and supportive of the fans under Ashley. He is a bit awful, IMO. 

The other bloke that sounds like a character from Two Pints of Lager, was not much better. All felt a bit Ant Middleton. “ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE IF YOU JUST PUT YOUR MIND TO IT.” 

I did enjoy listening to Edward, for the most part. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

28 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I listened to it and I found it incredibly cringey. I know these things often are and dossers like me are not their target audience. But for all that Humphrey was always fair about us and supportive of the fans under Ashley. He is a bit awful, IMO. 

The other bloke that sounds like a character from Two Pints of Lager, was not much better. All felt a bit Ant Middleton. “ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE IF YOU JUST PUT YOUR MIND TO IT.” 

I did enjoy listening to Edward, for the most part. 

I know what you mean, but it's about improving performance and overcoming stuff. A bit pointless unless you actually believe it's possible. Have to just ride out the cringe a little.

13 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I know what you mean, but it's about improving performance and overcoming stuff. A bit pointless unless you actually believe it's possible. Have to just ride out the cringe a little.

I get that. I do understand what some of these kind of things are getting at. Self-confidence or self-help, performance, positive mentality. They are all a bit like that and I can accept it up to a point that they are going to be a bit cheesy. 

I just found the two hosts on this really grating, a bit smug and awful to listen to.