Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

18 minutes ago, James said:

His ability to improve a player has left me wondering what he could have done with someone like Viana or Luque or other obviously talented but flawed players.

Imagine what he could have done with someone like Ben Arfa, we'd be talking about him like Messi :lol:

1 hour ago, 54 said:

Imagine what he could have done with someone like Ben Arfa, we'd be talking about him like Messi :lol:

People said the same about Sir Bob and Ben Arfa but others said he wouldn't have bought him. I dont think Eddie would either.

11 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

I’d love it if we went in for him again. Always had nice things to say about Newcastle after he left. 

All very well saying nice things, but the fact is he pushed to leave because he was homesick. Appreciate he was young but he strikes me as someone who’ll stay at Sociedad, or around that area, until he retires at about 33/34.

He never once talks negatively about players. He talks highly of players that are just squad players and it must be so important for them because we'll need the likes of Lascelles at some point during this season

We've struck gold having a manager who is excelling at improving players but is also brilliant as a man manager

Edited by joeyt

I've mentioned it before but Gerrard made a big song and dance about dropping Mings and making him losing the captaincy. 

We haven't heard a peep from Lascelles about him barely playing despite him being club captain.

It sums up Eddie's philosophy of everyone working together perfectly

5 minutes ago, joeyt said:

I've mentioned it before but Gerrard made a big song and dance about dropping Mings and making him losing the captaincy. 

We haven't heard a peep from Lascelles about him barely playing despite him being club captain.

It sums up Eddie's philosophy of everyone working together perfectly

Lascalles has apparently been a very strong and beneficial presence in the dressing room and club leader even when not playing. So has Wood.

The players on the whole who were already here when Eddie took over bought into his plan, you can see it in their personal improvements and there's no backbiting in the press etc even when left out the squad.

Edited by madras

58 minutes ago, madras said:

Lascalles has apparently been a very strong and beneficial presence in the dressing room and club leader even when not playing. So has Wood.

The players on the whole who were already here when Eddie took over bought into his plan, you can see it in their personal improvements and there's no backbiting in the press etc even when left out the squad.

I completely agree with Joeyt and you as well. It couldn't have been too hard to embrace something new after Cabbage Head. That said, this seems to go WAY beyond just that. Seems like these guys would run through brick walls for this gaffer. Dubs is the only one who seemed to shirk back when he lost his spot but even that was never really out in the press. Eddie has been unreal tbf.

Edited by McDog

You could have thrown another 500m at the squad with a different manager (see Everton, Aston Villa, Man United) and not bettered what Howe's done. Wouldn't swap him for anyone, having that connection with the manager is priceless imo and we love him don't we? And not only that, he's every bit a Newcastle manager.

I loved Rafa to bits, but I couldn't have said he was truly a Newcastle manager on the pitch in the way Howe is.

Edited by Kid Icarus

7 hours ago, 54 said:

Not sure mind, we haven't seen a dramatic effect on Maxi, in fact you could argue his performances overall have reduced. There are just some players whose attitude/unwillingness neglects their overall ability. 

Two of Maxi’s best performances for us were under Howe; Everton at home last season and City at home this season. Unplayable. 

Think the effort he makes to help out defensively now and actually look for ways of passing the ball rather than just running into trouble are a lot different now too. A run in the team and we’d all be saying how much Howe has improved him IMO. 

30 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

You could have thrown another 500m at the squad with a different manager (see Everton, Aston Villa, Man United) and not bettered what Howe's done. Wouldn't swap him for anyone, having that connection with the manager is priceless imo and we love him don't we? And not only that, he's every bit a Newcastle manager.

I loved Rafa to bits, but I couldn't have said he was truly a Newcastle manager on the pitch in the way Howe is.

He definitely has us playing on the pitch in a way that I think every supporter has always wished a Newcastle squad would play. Very much a Newcastle manager on the pitch. And off he’s just brilliant too. 

20 minutes ago, Wilson said:

Are we going over the top about how happy we are with our manager? Or is this how properly ran clubs (who try) always feel? 

Well, team was dead last and was shipping in goals left and right last year. Team ended up mid table and now sit second. Seems to be much bigger than teams that are expected to finish top 4 and do.

6 hours ago, Wilson said:

Are we going over the top about how happy we are with our manager? Or is this how properly ran clubs (who try) always feel? 

I don't think it's possible to go over the top with him. He's put in one of the greatest managerial 12 months in footballing history, no exaggeration. Not claiming he's one of the greats yet, but what's been done so far has been profoundly exceptional.

1 minute ago, 80 said:

I don't think it's possible to go over the top with him. He's put in one of the greatest managerial 12 months in footballing history, no exaggeration. Not claiming he's one of the greats yet, but what's been done so far has been profoundly exceptional.

This! Oh and the best is yet to come :coolsmiley:

Edited by PauloGeordio