Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

I really like Paul Dummet, and I was hoping he's get some game time here and there this season, maybe for sentimental reasons but as expected he can't shake his injuries anymore.

Would I give Ben Arfa his spot in the squad? Fucking rights would I, in a heartbeat [emoji38]

I don't really yearn for Ayoze, though I think of him fondly. 

Apologies for the long post but I felt I needed to just put down some of what Howe has done at Bournemouth for those who have only really paid attention to him since he signed for us.

Some may know as I've said before, but I live in Bournemouth. I came down here in 2009 for work just after their "great escape" (and after our first Ashley relegation!) and have seen first-hand what he did here as although I've never supported any club but Newcastle and never could, I kind of adopted Bournemouth whilst Ashley gutted our club from the inside and I was marooned 360 miles away.

What Howe is doing now is not new, and it should not be a surprise. He has a long and incredibly impressive history in improving players, massively. Obviously it doesn't happen to all players, as you have to buy in to what he wants of you and his methods, but for those that do they'll find he can have them playing easily 2 divisions higher than they've ever played before. At Bournemouth he did this with many players and I've long wanted him to get this job and was over the moon when Emery turned us down and we moved onto "that fella from Bournemouth". Although he didn't to my knowledge bring anyone all the way with him from L2 with Bournemouth, he variously bought or inherited many players in League 1 who became PL regulars with hundreds of appearances to their name.

Here's Bournemouth's league timeline in the Howe years, and some key moments noted....

2008–09 - League Two - Great Escape from -17 points
2009–10 - League Two - Promotion
2010–11 - League One - Jan 2011 leaves for Burnley, replaced by Lee Bradbury who fails in Playoff Semi Final
2011–12 - League One - Bradbury sacked, Paul Groves takes over with Bournemouth 11th
2012–13 - League One - Oct 2012 Groves sacked with Bournemouth near foot of table. Howe returns, turns it around and wins promotion in same season
2013–14 - Championship - Finished 10th
2014–15 - Championship - Promoted as champions
2015–16 - Premier League
2016–17 - Premier League - Finished 9th, highest finish in club's history
2017–18 - Premier League
2018–19 - Premier League
2019–20 - Premier League - Relegation and Howe leaves

Now I've already said he didn't take anyone from L2 to the PL with Bournemouth (Though Ings was with him in L2 but then moved on to Burnley when Howe went there), but I think at least part of that is that from January 2008 to December 2010 Bournemouth were operating under a transfer embargo due to going into administration. This is why they had -17 points in 2008/09, and why they had to turn to 31-year-old Howe. That he not only saved them but got them promoted the next season whilst under that embargo is incredible enough, but all the below players (Except Ings) were then signed by Howe, Bradbury or Groves whilst in L1 and went on to make a lot of appearances in the PL as Howe took them up through the leagues when he came back from Burnley:

09/10 - League 2

Danny Ings - Came up through the U18s, Howe gave him his debut in the cup when in L2, played most of next season in L1. Howe then went to Burnley and took Ings with him. Also managed Tippier at this time, probably why Trippier was so keen to join.

10/11 - League 1 - Howe signings

Adam Smith - On loan initially when in L1 due to embargo, then joined permanently, has made 158 PL appearances and still playing for Bournemouth now

Marc Pugh - 67 PL appearances over 3 seasons

Harry Arter - 69 PL appearances for Bournemouth, now at Notts Forest

11/12 - League 1 - Lee Bradbury signings

Steve Cook - 168 PL appearances before moving to Notts Forest

Charlie Daniels - 129 PL appearances

Simon Francis - 136 PL appearances before retiring

12-13 - League 1 - Paul Groves then Eddie Howe returns in October for January window

Tommy Elphick - 12 PL appearances in first season up before being signed by Aston Villa

Lewis Grabban - 18 PL appearances in first season up, then went on loan to (amongst others) Sunderland, before moving to Notts Forest

Matt Richie - Signed from Swindon by Howe after his return, 37 PL appearances before moving to us

Ryan Fraser - Another Howe signing, 120 PL appearances before also moving to us

And that's not counting the likes of Shaun MacDonald who played 3 times in the Prem etc, just the headliners. So that's a full TEN players who went from L1 to the PL with Howe and made a significant contribution, some over many years and 5 of them making 120+ PL appearances - 6 if you count Ritchie completing them here.

If a manager can make a player 10% better, you take it and would say he's doing a great job, because that's a brilliant return. But we have a manager who can make you two DIVISIONS better if you trust the process and buy into his methods. We're incredibly lucky to have him, and nothing he's doing is a flash in the pan or anything he hasn't done before on a consistent and prolonged basis in terms of improving players, and so I expect he'll also continue to do it in the future with anyone else we sign - provided they have the right character and mentality.

Small anecdote - He bummed a cigarette off my wife back in 2010. :lol: Bournemouth were having their end of season promotion party at the RNLI headquarters in Poole where my wife worked as a restaurant manager. She was a smoker back then, and was outside having a cigarette when Eddie Howe came out and chatted to her for a bit after asking if he could have a cigarette off her. At the time he was a nobody really, she didn't know who he was but knew AFC Bournemouth were booked in for a party and from chatting whilst they smoked for that few minutes she found out that he was the manager, so I had to fill in the blanks for her. She says he was really lovely, which of course we'd expect. No idea if he smokes regularly or if like some people do only when 10 pints in (He may have been sober for all we know, I'm certainly not saying he wasn't and even if he was wasted, he deserved it), and of course more than a decade has passed since anyway, but there you are.

TL;DR - I think Eddie Howe is fantastic, and have done for over a decade. Even though he still owes my missus a cigarette.

Perez wound me up as a player when I'd accepted we were a club hanging around the Woops section of the transfer market. The idea of signing him when we have the option to snap up Bruno Guimaraes and Sven Botman level players just seems pointless.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Just checked with the wife - Howe was definitely pissed :lol: , and kept saying to her "Don't tell anyone you've seen me smoking!". But she says he was very generous and kept buying everyone drinks, players and staff, and was absolutely lovely.

5 hours ago, nemtizz said:

If VAR wasn't an abomination we'd be undefeated thanks to this legend.

Pisses me off to no end. :lol: 

I know we lost on them in the 98th of 97 but if that Isak goal had (rightfully) stood they looked broken as fuck in that moment. It would’ve been four easily. 

6 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Man City (Schar penalty), Liverpool (Isak offside, Carvalho goal), Wolves (Longstaff penalty), Palace (Willock goal)

That whole run was completely ridiculous, VAR has definitely improved for us since we complained after Palace.

Brighton high foot?

Was another one IIRC.

8 hours ago, Chris_R said:

Apologies for the long post but I felt I needed to just put down some of what Howe has done at Bournemouth for those who have only really paid attention to him since he signed for us.

Some may know as I've said before, but I live in Bournemouth. I came down here in 2009 for work just after their "great escape" (and after our first Ashley relegation!) and have seen first-hand what he did here as although I've never supported any club but Newcastle and never could, I kind of adopted Bournemouth whilst Ashley gutted our club from the inside and I was marooned 360 miles away.

What Howe is doing now is not new, and it should not be a surprise. He has a long and incredibly impressive history in improving players, massively. Obviously it doesn't happen to all players, as you have to buy in to what he wants of you and his methods, but for those that do they'll find he can have them playing easily 2 divisions higher than they've ever played before. At Bournemouth he did this with many players and I've long wanted him to get this job and was over the moon when Emery turned us down and we moved onto "that fella from Bournemouth". Although he didn't to my knowledge bring anyone all the way with him from L2 with Bournemouth, he variously bought or inherited many players in League 1 who became PL regulars with hundreds of appearances to their name.

Here's Bournemouth's league timeline in the Howe years, and some key moments noted....

2008–09 - League Two - Great Escape from -17 points
2009–10 - League Two - Promotion
2010–11 - League One - Jan 2011 leaves for Burnley, replaced by Lee Bradbury who fails in Playoff Semi Final
2011–12 - League One - Bradbury sacked, Paul Groves takes over with Bournemouth 11th
2012–13 - League One - Oct 2012 Groves sacked with Bournemouth near foot of table. Howe returns, turns it around and wins promotion in same season
2013–14 - Championship - Finished 10th
2014–15 - Championship - Promoted as champions
2015–16 - Premier League
2016–17 - Premier League - Finished 9th, highest finish in club's history
2017–18 - Premier League
2018–19 - Premier League
2019–20 - Premier League - Relegation and Howe leaves

Now I've already said he didn't take anyone from L2 to the PL with Bournemouth (Though Ings was with him in L2 but then moved on to Burnley when Howe went there), but I think at least part of that is that from January 2008 to December 2010 Bournemouth were operating under a transfer embargo due to going into administration. This is why they had -17 points in 2008/09, and why they had to turn to 31-year-old Howe. That he not only saved them but got them promoted the next season whilst under that embargo is incredible enough, but all the below players (Except Ings) were then signed by Howe, Bradbury or Groves whilst in L1 and went on to make a lot of appearances in the PL as Howe took them up through the leagues when he came back from Burnley:

09/10 - League 2

Danny Ings - Came up through the U18s, Howe gave him his debut in the cup when in L2, played most of next season in L1. Howe then went to Burnley and took Ings with him. Also managed Tippier at this time, probably why Trippier was so keen to join.

10/11 - League 1 - Howe signings

Adam Smith - On loan initially when in L1 due to embargo, then joined permanently, has made 158 PL appearances and still playing for Bournemouth now

Marc Pugh - 67 PL appearances over 3 seasons

Harry Arter - 69 PL appearances for Bournemouth, now at Notts Forest

11/12 - League 1 - Lee Bradbury signings

Steve Cook - 168 PL appearances before moving to Notts Forest

Charlie Daniels - 129 PL appearances

Simon Francis - 136 PL appearances before retiring

12-13 - League 1 - Paul Groves then Eddie Howe returns in October for January window

Tommy Elphick - 12 PL appearances in first season up before being signed by Aston Villa

Lewis Grabban - 18 PL appearances in first season up, then went on loan to (amongst others) Sunderland, before moving to Notts Forest

Matt Richie - Signed from Swindon by Howe after his return, 37 PL appearances before moving to us

Ryan Fraser - Another Howe signing, 120 PL appearances before also moving to us

And that's not counting the likes of Shaun MacDonald who played 3 times in the Prem etc, just the headliners. So that's a full TEN players who went from L1 to the PL with Howe and made a significant contribution, some over many years and 5 of them making 120+ PL appearances - 6 if you count Ritchie completing them here.

If a manager can make a player 10% better, you take it and would say he's doing a great job, because that's a brilliant return. But we have a manager who can make you two DIVISIONS better if you trust the process and buy into his methods. We're incredibly lucky to have him, and nothing he's doing is a flash in the pan or anything he hasn't done before on a consistent and prolonged basis in terms of improving players, and so I expect he'll also continue to do it in the future with anyone else we sign - provided they have the right character and mentality.

Small anecdote - He bummed a cigarette off my wife back in 2010. :lol: Bournemouth were having their end of season promotion party at the RNLI headquarters in Poole where my wife worked as a restaurant manager. She was a smoker back then, and was outside having a cigarette when Eddie Howe came out and chatted to her for a bit after asking if he could have a cigarette off her. At the time he was a nobody really, she didn't know who he was but knew AFC Bournemouth were booked in for a party and from chatting whilst they smoked for that few minutes she found out that he was the manager, so I had to fill in the blanks for her. She says he was really lovely, which of course we'd expect. No idea if he smokes regularly or if like some people do only when 10 pints in (He may have been sober for all we know, I'm certainly not saying he wasn't and even if he was wasted, he deserved it), and of course more than a decade has passed since anyway, but there you are.

TL;DR - I think Eddie Howe is fantastic, and have done for over a decade. Even though he still owes my missus a cigarette.

Thank you for your post. Ever since last season, I've needed no convincing as to what a gem we have in Eddie, but that was a good read.

Not because I have any doubts, but just for my education, what do you think went wrong at Burnley, and (in the end) at Bournemouth?