Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

I do like the idea of whilst the results are coming in you keep your place. But if we are aiming high you could argue draws against Leeds and Palace aren't good enough. 

We are arguing between the difference between very good and very very good. But if you want to be at the top that's the difference maker. 

It's an interesting conundrum for him.

I'm sure he'll know better than anyone that we need a bit more in attack but we still look so damn good defensively that he'll be wary of losing that in the pursuit of goals.

It's a shame that Targett is injured as I think bringing him in for Burn would freshen things up a bit. He's defensively solid enough that he could be used on the left of a three like Burn is when we have possession but he'd also be able to offer something different if we want to change it up from time to time.

Aside from that the obvious potential spark is playing ASM or even Isak on the left. Joelinton, Willock and Longstaff all being on the pitch at the same time does mean we're lacking in quality in that final third.

Polar opposite of what was predicted by the media and pundits when Howe came in. The defence is amazing. We rarely give up chances, never mind concede. 

But if I’m being critical. We have looked lost and a bit clueless in attack in a good few games now this season. 

Ultimately, we are over-achieving and he isn’t spoiled for choice with attacking options. But we are going to have to change something, somehow. As most teams have sussed out how to play against us, up to a point. Sitting deep is effective and nullifies a lot of what we’re good at. 

I feel like some of the reactions in here are slightly over the top :lol:

We are third in the league on +23 goal difference and in the semi finals of a cup, having just had one of the best years results wise in the clubs history in 2022.

I Get that we've not scored many in the last 4 games, but its not due to a system error, we've create a fair few chances in each of the last four, it's just players just haven't put away them clear cut chances away. 

Every team will have a blip over a season to think otherwise is ridiculous, if this is ours, we're in really really good shape. 

I also think people need to remember that we are way way way ahead of schedule too, and 60% of our squad was here in the Ashley era.

8 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Polar opposite of what was predicted by the media and pundits when Howe came in. The defence is amazing. We rarely give up chances, never mind concede. 

But if I’m being critical. We have looked lost and a bit clueless in attack in a good few games now this season. 

Ultimately, we are over-achieving and he isn’t spoiled for choice with attacking options. But we are going to have to change something, somehow. As most teams have sussed out how to play against us, up to a point. Sitting deep is effective and nullifies a lot of what we’re good at. 

Form guide from January 2022 tells us we are where we should be! Eddie will get this right and hopefully an unlocker of the doors comes in before January is out! We are a work in progress. This time last year! Amazing turnaround :indi:

Edited by PauloGeordio

42 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Interesting that his defensive record was what a fair few complained about at first. We are so far ahead of what I expected that it’s just ridiculous. 

But there is a good opportunity this window to accelerate the process even more.

Totally agree. Main fear was Howe's Bournemouth teams were bad defensively and at the time the Mags were shipping in goals like they were Leeds. Eddie has the team locking down almost everyone so getting in some creative players can push us forward to unlock some of these low block tactics.

Great opportunity here and I trust the business side has been working their tails off to get revenue up to facilitate this.

1 hour ago, Cf said:

Ridiculous he had the title. 

That stretch where we inexplicably had the best defense in the league with Ryan Taylor playing at left back :lol:

It’s hard to even conceive of when you consider what happened after, but we genuinely came pretty close to making the CL that year.

Edited by oldtype

Just now, The Prophet said:

A club record 15 unbeaten. Woof.

He's great, the fact we went there tonight and he was so pissed off with a 0 0 makes me so happy, Bruce would want an OBE for a 0 0 at the Palace 

The team needs some tweaks so I expect incremental changes to test the balance going forward. I don't think Maxi or Isak we're ready to start today but Tuesday is a great one to at least get one in the starting XI.

I have a feeling he's been keeping the consistency recently for the cup tie as a solid defence is a way to a trophy, despite some of the attacking troubles. Tbh, I wouldn't even call them troubles, we're just not being clinical despite decent chance creation.

It’s not all on Howes selections either, in the games we have drew lately we’ve created more than enough chances to win. 

Today, Joelinton really should have scored in the first half, we had some good headed chances 2nd half. It’s not as though we aren’t creating chances. 

Still only been trailing in matches for 81 minutes of the season (23 minutes v Man City, 52 minutes v Wolves, 5 v Bournemouth & 1 v Liverpool). That's out of 1800 minutes plus say 100 minutes of stoppage time. That's insane. :lol:

Arsenal have trailed for around 90 minutes all season as a comparison.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

We’re not winning the ball as high up the pitch recently. A lot of our chances have come from that. Teams have figured out and are trying to mitigate it. We’ll need to evolve a bit to present a different problem. Won’t happen overnight and may need some new players to do it. 
Good teams find a way. I don’t think we’re there yet but that’ll be the next challenge. 
Personally I’m not sure top 4 is on this season. It’s inevitable to plateau. No one needs to panic over it either. Wouldn’t be surprised if we slip back a little. Other teams around and below us have far superior squads. Hope I’m wrong. Maybe ASM and Isak can really spark things off.

Edited by Lotus

People are definitely going over the top, I it's quite simplistic to just look at us scoring 1 in 4 games and thinking there is an issue

If you breakdown the stats of those games

Vs Leeds = xG 2.18 Vs 0.36, 7 big chances Vs 0 big chances, 16 shots Vs 8 shots

Vs Arsenal = xG 1.06 Vs 1.12, 2 big chances Vs 0 big chances, 8 shots Vs 17 shots

Vs Fulham = xG 2.36 Vs 1.11 (Mitro pen bulk of this), 2 big chances Vs 1 big chance, 20 shots Vs 5 shots, 

Vs Palace = xG 1.25 Vs 0.30, 2 big chances Vs 0 big chances, 16 shots Vs 6 shots 

That's a minimum of 2 big chances in each game, overall 13 big chances Vs 1 for the opposition (which was the Mitro penalty)

We are creating chances, very good ones, a lot of them are just falling to the likes of Longstaff and Joelinton. This shows Howe has got the balance right, just being let down by some poor finishing or poor passing in the final 3rd. 

As Shearer often says, the time to be concerned is when you aren't creating chances. 

Edited by Geordie Ahmed

11 hours ago, reefatoon said:

You missed Joelintons 2 chances in the first half which should have been put away.

Botman’s header was close tooo , well struck and could just as easily been the other side of the post. 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

We’ve signed 3 real difference makers (outfield). Botman, Bruno and Isak have and will make us a very different team. We need 3 more, another top defender, another midfielder and another forward. All of similar quality. Add those and we’ll be purring.

Tripps is a bit different. He needs an understudy. 

Done all he can with what he's got. I'd like to see more rotation, but if we did, we may not have seen the results we have. Trippier is playing like he needs a game or two off. Wilson is clearly put of steam as well, but Isak coming back should help with that. 

Board need to close a couple of signings  this week, less faffing, more action or waste the best chance we've had in a decade to qualify for the CL. Even if we don't (I don't think we will) we at least gave it a go and land in the europa with a squad better equipped for it. 

Other than Burn playing the whole season ahead of Targett, the biggest surprise in team selection for me at this stage is Longstaff playing every single game. Not that I'm slagging off Longstaff who does a vital amount of running and dirty work for the side. 

However I'd like to see a midfield of Bruno-Joelinton-Willock at some point, to open up another space in the front 3 for ASM or Isak. Do we think Howe is worried there isn't enough balance in that midfield three? Could it work alright? Obviously ASM or Isak will cover less defensively than Almiron/Joelinton do when they're the wingers.